katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

20 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Joker's iconic because pretty much every Joker other than Leto is iconic on the big and small screen. Cesar Romero is iconic in the '60s Batman TV series. Nicholson is iconic in Batman '89. Mark Hamill voicing the Joker in Batman The Animated Series is iconic. Ledger is iconic. Leto was a wet fart that everyone already forgot. Phoenix was iconic.

BTAS Joker is arguably the best one.

Hamill’s version also reached a huge and new audience in the Arkham games. Because of that, I’d say his is easily the 2nd most iconic and relevant among younger gens after Ledger.  

5 minutes ago, Austin said:

Just got out of Barbie. Movie was so weird. I don't know how to feel about it. Gosling was hilarious. So was Cera. Margot Robbie did the best with what she was given. The underlying themes couldn't have been delivered more explicitly, and the message at the end wasn't very clear. Was Barbie going to the real world because Barbieland wasn't KENough? Is it to represent women breaking free of society's unrealistic standards? There was a great movie somewhere in there. Maybe I need a rewatch with set expectations. The movie also wasn't really made for me I guess.

I enjoyed my time at the theater KENough nonetheless. Had some great laughs and gags. Emotional beat at the end was nice.

I'll just separate my thoughts on the movie and it's box office success because these numbers it's pulling in are staggering and exciting. I can't wait for the next forced "Barbenheimer" lol. I hear it's already happening with Saw Patrol.

The script is a muddled mess without proper world-building or stakes. It’s not just you. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nobody expected Oppenheimer out of Nolan and it turned out to be maybe his best, so I don't think anyone of us should have real opinions. That said, I think his two war era movies (Oppy/Dunkirk) are alot better than his high concept sci-fi run, especially after how wack Tenet was, so I'm more into the grounded Nolan. I love the Prestige, Insomnia, and Memento so would actually love to see him do a mid-sized thriller or mystery next instead. 

steve-harvey-my-man-d5mjl12lkt5fre2b.gif

I'm not even all that in love with his thrillers, but it would be nice to see a small movie for once. And he's the only guy who can make a small movie into a big hit.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I think something like Miss Saigon would be a great challenge for him since he'd have to balance different things because it's set during and after the Vietnam War but it's also  a tragic love story with complex characters. The Fall of Saigon which is an iconic part of the stage show would be incredible to film using IMAX cameras.

Miss Saigon is hella problematic

I can't see anyone wanting to really tackle it

28 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I want a Nolan WESTERN. His REVENANT or HIGH NOON or UNFORGIVEN. Three hours of OPPENHEIMER's Los Alamos magic hour lighting, captured on 70mm IMAX. How awesome would that be?

Yo I now have a mighty need for that. We need this out here like yesterday.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Should I admit I liked Memento just a little bit better?

I mean there's a reason why Nolan keeps coming back to concepts, themes and tricks from Memento. It will always be the movie that is the foundation of Nolan's work. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Horror fans are something else.

I don't know how you can stan a series of movies that just get worse, and then do that for multiple franchises.

We do it for the entertainment value. 

3 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

D-Day. 

Stalingrad.

• Like 1

I’ve never seen the spoof Barbenheimer posters as “making fun of” the bombing. More just having fun with the meme that the movies have literally become inseparable sort of thing. Obviously I totally understand why Opp in general is sensitive to even release in Japan though. 

Welp, I had the most embarrassing experience. I accidentally bought tickets for the wrong theater when I went to Barbie, and didn’t realize that until I walked up to get my phone scanned. I ended up paying for the movie twice. I’m an idiot. 

On the plus, side, the movie’s gonna make even more money for the weekend now, I guess? I thought it was ok by the way. Not really my thing, but it’s not bad. 

Edited by WittyUsername
  • Haha 1

Late to the party, but a couple things:

1. Wicked isn’t making over 150M DOM. 
2. Let us never have a Nolan musical. Lol. 
3. Let Jenkins do Ragtime. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Welp, I had the most embarrassing experience. I accidentally bought tickets for the wrong theater when I went to Barbie, and didn’t realize that until I walked up to get my phone scanned. I ended up paying for the movie twice. I’m an idiot. 

On the plus, side, the movie’s gonna make even more money for the weekend now, I guess? I thought it was ok by the way. Not really my thing. 

This happened to me with 65 and I had to walk away in shame.

• Haha 1