katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

4 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Thankfully there are very few product placements in the actual film. Chevrolet is the only one that springs to mind, as Barbie’s car is one. 

One hundred promotional partners/brand deals isn’t out of the norm. See Man of Steel (98 - worth $170m), Dark Knight Rises (worth $150m), No Time To Die (worth $150m), Avengers Endgame (worth $200m). 

The Little Mermaid’s were worth $85m. The most for a Disney Live action film. 

Thankfully it doesn’t mean the products will appear in the film, just that the companies get to use the film and will promote it pre-release with tie-ins. 

This money doesn’t cost the studio. 

Barbie movie is a giant product placement. I mean, Barbie is the main character.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

It's easy to dismiss the "outrage" from Japanese people as them going overboard if you've seen Oppenheimer but I think it's important to realise that pretty much nobody in Japan has seen Oppenheimer yet, spoilers ahead but

Hide contents

We know that it only shows the Trinity Test, so the nuclear explosion in all the promo material is not the one that killed tens of thousands of civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. However before Oppenheimer came out I remember lots of people thinking Nolan would actually depict those bombings, and I'm sure a lot of people in Japan are wondering that too. So for Barbie's official twitter account to come out and endorse things like Barbie with mushroom cloud hair and replying "it's gonna be a summer to remember" to a poster of Barbie smiling in front of the nukes (which they think is of Hiroshima/Nagasaki) can easily come across as distasteful.

That cloud if it is from the trinity test, they are doing nothing wrong no more than oppenheimer, its the Barbenheimer meme and doesnt come as distastefull at all. The only distastefull thing is you people endorsing fake, bad attention seeking outrage.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Day and Date The Best said:

That cloud if it is from the trinity test, they are doing nothing wrong no more than oppenheimer, its the Barbenheimer meme and doesnt come as distastefull at all. The only distastefull thing is you people endorsing fake, bad attention seeking outrage.

Personally I find the t shirt designs pretty distasteful myself, the bombs shouldn't be romanticized regardless of where they went off.

You don't have to agree with them, but don't dismiss the feelings of the populace that beared the brunt of the bomb's horrors. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, Kon said:

Barbie movie is a giant product placement. I mean, Barbie is the main character.

Yeh that’s not product placement though, the film itself is about her. 

Product placement is when a product unrelated to the film is featured in a film. Like Marvel heroes all driving Audis and the Audi logo comes towards the screen. 

I must say, I did buy an Audi in October last year 😂 nothing to do with Avengers though lol. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

Yeh that’s not product placement though, the film itself is about her. 

Product placement is when a product unrelated to the film is featured in a film. Like Marvel heroes all driving Audis and the Audi logo comes towards the screen. 

I must say, I did buy an Audi in October last year 😂 nothing to do with Avengers though lol. 

Owen Wilson almost got me into buying Burger King after Haunted Mansion.

• Haha 1

Since there has been much discussion over how Japanese Twitter users have responded to Barbenheimer, I wanted to shed light on how Koreans have reacted to this controversy in both heavily female (e.g., Twitter) and male spaces (e.g., male-dominated online communities). They're calling out the "victim mentality," which downplays or even ignores the atrocities committed by the Japanese government against other Asian countries before and during World War II and simultaneously tries to portray the Japanese in a sympathetic light as the victims. Heavily upvoted comments say stuff like:

• "You would think they're completely innocent victims."
  • "When you criticize the atrocities committed under Imperial Japan and ask for an apology, they coldly say, 'Our generation did not commit the crimes, so why are you asking us to apologize?' Under that logic, they should not be pissed about [Barbenheimer]. You can see their true intentions via their reaction [to Barbenheimer]."
  • "No one forced them to attack Pearl Harbor without declaring war. If you have issues with what happened after, complain to His Majesty the Emperor."

It also reminds me of how the sympathetic portrayal of the Hiroshima /Nagasaki bombings in Eternals was highly controversial in Korea, especially after the writers did an interview discussing how their background as Japanese Americans affected how they wrote the scene.

My point is that different countries in Asia will have widely differing reactions to how Hollywood portrays the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings. 

Edited by mr1006
  • Like 4
  • Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Bucking the stereotype that all Audi owners are a-holes I see 😘

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mr1006 said:

They're calling out the "victim mentality," which downplays or even ignores the atrocities committed by the Japanese government against other Asian countries before and during World War II and simultaneously tries to portray the Japanese in a sympathetic light as the victims. Heavily upvoted comments say stuff like:

• "You would think they're completely innocent victims."
  • "When you criticize the atrocities committed under Imperial Japan and ask for an apology, they coldly say, 'Our generation did not commit the crimes, so why are you asking us to apologize?' Under that logic, they should not be pissed about [Barbenheimer]. You can see their true intentions via their reaction [to Barbenheimer]."

The general near-immediate cultural forgiveness in the Western world for Japan, and the extent to which Japan is nowhere near as associated with a history of evil compared to Germany despite arguably worse sins from the point of view of both sadism, and the mechanics by which an entire population bought in to manifest evil without having had an incident as national-ego-bashing as the end of WW1 was for Germany....is both one of the most fascinating dynamics of the late 20th century, something that would theoretically fascinating to explore on film, and yet so full of eggshells that it would prevent any coherent analysis that was actually agreeable to everyone.

Obviously a lot of it came from the speed of the pivot from fighting fascism to fighting communism but yes, it's a discomforting topic. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

The general near-immediate cultural forgiveness in the Western world for Japan, and the extent to which Japan is nowhere near as associated with a history of evil compared to Germany despite arguably worse sins from the point of view of both sadism, and the mechanics by which an entire population bought in to manifest evil without having had an incident as national-ego-bashing as the end of WW1 was for Germany....is both one of the most fascinating dynamics of the late 20th century, something that would theoretically fascinating to explore on film, and yet so full of eggshells that it would prevent any coherent analysis that was actually agreeable to everyone.

Obviously a lot of it came from the speed of the pivot from fighting fascism to fighting communism but yes, it's a discomforting topic. 

Well, if they had actually dropped the bombs on Germany first things might've been a little different.

Edited by AniNate

This discussion highlights that, from a commercial standpoint, Nolan was right to make Oppenheimer a purely subjective story. Any significant incorporation of Japanese narratives would have alienated some audiences and stirred geopolitical controversy .

2 hours ago, M37 said:

With Weekend Estimates:

VBRA3RG.png

Yeah, TFA is going down, only a matter of time before it pulls ahead, and its just a question IMO of whether or not Barbenheimer can get to $1 BILLION Domestic

Barbie also looks to be on track to set a new record for most consecutive days over $10M - should at least match TFA's 17 by next Sunday, through day 19 is probably locked, and could run it all the way up through day 24

It's likely but not locked. Keep in mind that around 10-15% of schools in the US will open next week so that'll have some impact on weekdays.

8 minutes ago, Agafin said:

It's likely but not locked. Keep in mind that around 10-15% of schools in the US will open next week so that'll have some impact on weekdays.

Is this an US only thing? Am I getting old? I didn't know the school year's like this now.

9 minutes ago, Agafin said:

TFA had school weekdays starting around the same time, so it's actually pretty evenly matched all things considered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

It all stems from a very small sect of American (white, male, urbanite) writers and journalists who believe that the United States of America is the greatest evil that has been unleashed on planet Earth. No other country could possibly be as bad, and if they did bad things, it’s because the United States had a hand in it. 

Joseph Khan, a popular American music video director and son of Korean immigrants, talks about this phenomenon a lot. He had some pretty funny viewpoints to share with those (again, white, male, urbanite) think pieces last weekend. 

• Disbelief 1

Moderation: A recommendation was made just a few pages back to move on from the topic of war/bomb and onto movies but it seems it was inadequate. Further violations will receive warning points now. I understand this debate is within the context of the movie but it is such a sensitive topic that it needs tact when discussing which unfortunately is missing in some of the posts and which leads to unnecessary angst. 

You are free to discuss this topic on the boards but just in the appropriate thread (not this) or the appropriate section (Real World section)

• Like 2
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Is this an US only thing? Am I getting old? I didn't know the school year's like this now.

Southern states start school earlier than other parts of the country. My school has teachers starting on August 2 and students on August 7.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

If equalizer wasn't opening labor day weekend I would be completely on board with barbenheimer going over Ep7 as most big summer movies get a healthy bump that weekend. And it could still happen this time but I'm not 100% sold. TFA will pull ahead this week and next weekend so there'll be some catching up to do after that.