katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

2024 is looking pretty bleak right now and the strikes are only going to make it worse if they continue to drag out. Deadpool 3 had to stop filming and it's currently occupying the summer kick-off slot. 

I could certainly see theaters bringing back classic movies. That one week 40th Anniversary showing of RotJ back in April at a few hundred AMCs grossed a little over $7M total despite being available on Disney+. It would not be surprising if Disney queued up all 11 live action Star Wars films spread over three months nationwide for all theater chains. If timed and marketed right, TFA could be pushed over $1B. They could also try something similar with the MCU films not to mention the deep Disney/Pixar animated library.

20 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

2024 is looking pretty bleak right now and the strikes are only going to make it worse if they continue to drag out. Deadpool 3 had to stop filming and it's currently occupying the summer kick-off slot. 

I could certainly see theaters bringing back classic movies. That one week 40th Anniversary showing of RotJ back in April at a few hundred AMCs grossed a little over $7M total despite being available on Disney+. It would not be surprising if Disney queued up all 11 live action Star Wars films spread over three months nationwide for all theater chains. If timed and marketed right, TFA could be pushed over $1B. They could also try something similar with the MCU films not to mention the deep Disney/Pixar animated library.

TFA won't get 70m from a rerelease. Maybe after about 10 of them sure, but not a single rerelease. 

Disney carried the box office in last half of last decade. MCU has gone bad, Live Action remake well is almost dry, Pixar hasn't been really a force with non sequel since Inside Out, same for WDAS.

We need and will probably see more surprises like TGM, Barbies and Oppies in coming years.

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

Disney carried the box office in last half of last decade. MCU has gone bad, Live Action remake well is almost dry, Pixar hasn't been really a force with non sequel since Inside Out, same for WDAS.

We need and will probably see more surprises like TGM, Barbies and Oppies in coming years.

I wonder if they'll deploy the capabilities of their freshly bought Fox Studios to make original blockbusters again. 

7 hours ago, G Doss said:

The problem is Disney made terrible choices at the publishing arm of Marvel. It decided to revamp the main heroes to create possible movies once Downey and Evans moved on. There was no quality control, though. That applies to the editors as much as the creative teams.

Marvel Comics turns out nothing but turds and that is what the MCU has to work with. It isn't a classic story from 50 years ago, it's Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan.

Theatergoers are rejecting it just like comic readers did.

I really question marvel skipping 50 years of comic history to get to characters from the last 10 years who proved unpopular with the core fans. There are so many characters who haven’t been adapted yet but they make a show about echo of all people.

• Disbelief 1

10 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

2 original pixar releases came out between Inside Out and the pandemic, the good dinosaur bombed while Coco was a massive hit. Then Onward got kneecapped, 3 in a row went to D+. Elemental had an awful marketing campaign and has saved face with great word of mouth everywhere. They are not dead for originals. 

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Give me a wide rerelease of the LOTR trilogy in upscaled 4K on all PLF formats, drop FOTR in Jan, Towers in Feb and ROTK in March. I was too young to see it in theatres when it came out and I would love to see it now in all its glory.

That would tie in nicely to a 20th anniversary of ROTK's best picture win actually 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

2 original pixar releases came out between Inside Out and the pandemic, the good dinosaur bombed while Coco was a massive hit. Then Onward got kneecapped, 3 in a row went to D+. Elemental had an awful marketing campaign and has saved face with great word of mouth everywhere. They are not dead for originals. 

Coco did $200M DOM, which not bad, but not HUGE. Was talking about DOM in that all thing, I should have made it clear. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Give me a wide rerelease of the LOTR trilogy in upscaled 4K on all PLF formats, drop FOTR in Jan, Towers in Feb and ROTK in March. I was too young to see it in theatres when it came out and I would love to see it now in all its glory.

The LOTR trilogy is one of the most memorable moviegoing experiences in my lifetime. It hit me at the right age (in my early 20s), at a time where big budget fantasy/sci-fi movies were still uncommon, and it was the rare ocasion where the film's quality managed to match and exceed the hype.

I only worry that the CGI has - understandably - not aged well and it won't look supergreat on a PLF screen.

Edited by Celedhring
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

I really question marvel skipping 50 years of comic history to get to characters from the last 10 years who proved unpopular with the core fans. There are so many characters who haven’t been adapted yet but they make a show about echo of all people.

Who other than Echo (who didn't even get a solo comic to test her popularity) proved unpopular with core fans?

Even the recency argument doesn't check out considering AtSV is almost making 400M DOM with a lead character created 13 years back and featuring other characters created just 6-8 years back.

All MCU needs to do is fix its writing and planning issues. Secret Invasion should have been the entire 3 phase build-up storyline interconnecting movies and shows, with Emilia Clarke's character as the Big Bad. Unfortunately Feige seems to have gotten greedy by getting the FF villain rights and burning up Kang prematurely.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

Napoleon sweep.

45 minutes ago, across the Jat verse said:

Hindsight is 20/20 but they were basically setting themselves up for failure by milking the same 6 IPs.

• Like 1