katnisscinnaplex

Weekend Thread 7/28-7/30 - Barbenheimer Week 2; Barbie 93M/Oppy 46.2M - Haunted Mansion & Talk to Me OW; Mansion 24.2M, Talk 10M

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Unless it’s already been mentioned, another movie we’re all sleeping on that if done right should be a massive hit all over the world next year. 

Antoine Fuqua’s Michael Jackson biopic - Michael. 

That's a Lionsgate movie, so I have my doubts.

A Michael Jackson biopic definitely has a shot at Bohemian Rhapsody numbers. Antoine Fuqua as a director though doesn’t really inspire much confidence. If you had someone who’s been more consistent quality-wise like Coogler, then maybe I’d be more confident in a billion.

It also depends what approach they take. Sasha Baron Cohen’s original Freddie Mercury movie wouldn’t have even sniffed the numbers BoRap got. Bohemian Rhapsody was, for all intents and purposes, a concert movie, where GenX and Boomers got to relive Live Aid (at least that was the impression I got anecdotally from working at a theater at the time). 

• Like 2

Basket is not so popular WW. Jordan definitely is a cultural icon and more than just a sport icon but i don't see Bohemian OS kinda of numbers possible. 

In general i don't think sport bio can work as musicians bio, they have made a lot of them about footballers or tennis players or F1 drivers but they never became very big. 

Edited by vale9001

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

A Michael Jackson biopic definitely has a shot at Bohemian Rhapsody numbers. Antoine Fuqua as a director though doesn’t really inspire much confidence. If you had someone who’s been more consistent quality-wise like Coogler, then maybe I’d be more confident in a billion.

It also depends what approach they take. Sasha Baron Cohen’s original Freddie Mercury movie wouldn’t have even sniffed the numbers BoRap got. Bohemian Rhapsody was, for all intents and purposes, a concert movie, where GenX and Boomers got to relive Live Aid (at least that was the impression I got anecdotally from working at a theater at the time). 

I do think the involvement of the Jackson Family is going to restrict how much they can tell in the film, MJ The Musical had a similar issue that it only goes up to 1992 although that has been a big hit on Broadway.

20 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I think when a brand is already famous like Batman, Barbie etc..people can say "yes i heard about It" but they even mean another movie or just Batman. Probably has more credit to understand how a totally original movie is know. 

This. You’re asked which of these following movies you know about, and it’s like ‘oh Haunted Mansion…sounds familiar *shrug - checks box*’. Same with the likes of Indiana Jones which also had very high awareness.

Actually just what is Barbie?

The scale is not a $300m budget VFX/action-packed franchise like Avengers, SW or JW

The humour and plot doesn't play like typical PG rated family-friendly tentpole like Mario or Minion.

Neither the direction (it is not a romantic comedy) or cast-choice indicate this as a new young-adult franchise like Hunger Games or Twilight. 

I would say this is the "weirdest" $500m hit ever. The movie overall feel like a remix of Marry Poppin, The ladies man and Everything everywhere at all once. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vale9001 said:

In general i don't think sport bio can work as musicians bio, they have made a lot of them about footballers or tennis players or F1 drivers but they never became very big. 

A Messi or Ronaldo movie would easily pass a billion.

• Like 4

I thought people were definitely underestimating Barbie's potential in domestic market but I never expected it to be this big in Overseas. Especially after watching teasers & trailers, I thought the humor wouldn't work much outside US. Glad to be proven wrong though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

There's a Michael Jackson biopic show currently on Broadway, and the show ends with Michael going on the Dangerous Tour that started in 1992 and everything all happy, ignoring...everything that happened the year later. Feels pretty obvious, especially with the Jackson estate involved, that this is how the movie will end and will basically be a greatest hits movie like all the other successful music biopics with none of the real-life drama. I'm sure there will be tons of discourse online about them ignoring all of Michael Jackson's horrible actions, but also I doubt most people would care and just want to enjoy the nostalgia.

(for the record to everybody here, this post isn't an invitation to argue about Michael Jackson and his actions, so like...don't.)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Given what a lightning rod for controversy the man's life was (and remains even 14 years after his death), a Michael Jackson biopic backed by his estate is likely to be a total mess lol.

• Like 2

Thing that gets me excited for Michael - John Logan has written it.  

Agree that Lionsgate isn’t the greatest distributor, but the movie sells itself. As soon as people clap eyes on his nephew singing and dancing, we’re off to the races. 

1 minute ago, Eric the Hatbox Ghost said:

Feels pretty obvious, especially with the Jackson estate involved, that this is how the movie will end and will basically be a greatest hits movie like all the other successful music biopics with none of the real-life drama.

There's no other way to make this without turning it into a depressing sexual assault story that would get even more negative attention regardless of which way you portray it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Celedhring said:

Yeah, I'm betting 90% of people that watched POTC worldwide don't even know it's - supposedly - based off a ride. The whole "based on a ride" provides no boost.

I suppose the whole justification of these theme park movies is the obsession with corporate synergy. Disney seems to have become incapable of greenlighting any single live action project that it's not based on existing Disney IP.

Older men seem to be interested on SOF.