setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

16 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

That film shouldn't have cost as much as it did, pure indulgence by the studio,

James L Brooks had a pretty long leash with them, but that movie killed his career. It would've been a bomb even with a reasonable budget. 

Edited by AniNate

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So TGM with a considerably lower OW DOM is looking pretty safe. Nice.

What i really like about this year and last year is that the top grossing movie (DOM, maybe WW soon as well) of the year was a completely unexpected one. Before Top Gun Maverick came out, many people here assumed it would either flop or be a moderate hit. Even only a few weeks before it opened, there was still a LOT of scepticism and then history followed of course.

With Barbie its very similar. While some predicted huge things for it, the majority thought it would do just fine, maybe be a little breakout, like 200M or so in total. And then, history followed of course.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AniNate said:

James L Brooks had a pretty long leash with them, but that movie killed his career. It would've been a bomb even with a reasonable budget. 

Studios can forgive the odd flop but with Spanglish and HDYK both bombing. It's no surprise that no one wanted give Brooks any sort of budget. 

2 hours ago, Cap said:

As one of the like four Token Women TM on this board, it's right to mock a $130M RomCom. That budget is insane. Particularly if you are spending like a third of it on A List talent, who mostly have already peaked. You're not going to get your money back, and therefore, not going to make anymore of them.

You're probably right, but in a year where studios have spent way too much money for too little return on aging male A listers, I'd still like to see the experiment play out.

Women love warriors and strong female characters but they also love a love story and other classic elements.

This idea a strong woman can't have a love affair is stupid. A strong female heroin can be indipendent but also you can respect the typical topoi females love (there is a reason Jane austen is 200 years after her death still the most read writer). 

Hollywood should produce more emperowing female stories women in the real world can like (mulan already was emperowed in the animated movie even with an hot boy with her, why he disappeared in the live action?), not stories made to satisfy some journalist for The Atlantic. 

Edited by vale9001

Right now it’s a $58m lead with a $3m bigger 2nd Monday (+25%) over TGM for Barbie. The problem is TGMs late legs are stupid levels of crazy. I think Barbie needs to maintain most of its big lead for at least the next couple weeks to have a shot at compensating for obviously not having the absurd late run. Or at least we assume it won’t… if it does… watch out No Way Home lol

• Like 1

Lol, why are we talking about women as if they have a certain kind of character that will make them flock to the theaters? Do we say this for males? Just make compelling female characters of all kinds Hollywood, don’t put them into a box. The end. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Females gave to Titanic the most insane legs ever. Most people here were thinking for this like 2.5 legs. As positive as i was i believe to like 160M First weekend and 470M final. Something It will kinda touch at the end of the third weekend.

The movie Is everywhere, the soundtrack is exploding with multiple hits on charts (something in common with female drive movies in the past with insane legs, see again Titanic) so Who knows and above all why at this point legs shouldn't be just surprising as every single thing about this movie chart run has been until now? .

Edited by vale9001

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, why are we talking about women as if they have a certain kind of character that will make them flock to the theaters? Do we say this for males? Just make compelling female characters of all kinds Hollywood, don’t put them into a box. The end. 

Well yes It's the same for males. If we talk about sexes as masses there are Universal appealing themes. Then of course every single individual is different and not every single female Is the same as the next near to her, same for every man. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

I like when my rom coms have an immaculate kitchen that looks like 100 million bucks.

All of those kitchens cost no more than 30-60,000 to build, particularly if you are getting your appliances (which would add another 5-20,000+ to the cost). Unless you are talking about the commercial grade, which, again, shouldn’t be more than a million or two. 

😘

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Also, there is also a lot of competition for these genres in TV and streaming, who could offer something similar (since these genres don't tend to require so big budgets).

Nah, if we’re going to be cards on the table honest here; the biggest competition for Millennial women’s attention is AO3. 🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

It's not a romcom but Sony spent $120m on How Do You Do Know which ended up bombing. 

Point taken!

49 minutes ago, Kon said:

I feel the warrior woman trope was pretty popular between women in the past, because it was pretty uncommon. Now, it's become pretty common, so I think it has lost part of its original appeal (although it doesn't seem so unpopular either).

Yes. Yes to all of this. There was a reason that Buffy was so revolutionary in the 1990s. 

5 minutes ago, vafrow said:

You're probably right, but in a year where studios have spent way too much money for too little return on aging male A listers, I'd still like to see the experiment play out.

I mean, from the “ladies getting paid” POV, sure. But in reality, that never works. Hollywood doesn’t give women the endless mea cuplas they give men. So they were just use it as an excuse to never try it again.

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Pitch the script to Mattel

oh this is easy. Horror movie. Deck adds and subtracts years to your life depending on the card you pull. 

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Indy did rebound a tad to have some legs, but it ultimately looks like a 3x multi still won’t happen. With that disastrous OW, it really is pathetic at the end of the day. We simply don’t see audiences reject a massive powerhouse IP in this way, unless maybe it’s a spin off or reboot or something lacking the most important cast, etc. Not the case here. 

Barbie like hits $400M on Thursday with a slim chance it reaches the milestone on Wednesday if there is a significant Tuesday increase.

Oppenheimer looks like it crosses $200M on Thursday as well.

So in their 14th day, they will have grossed 2x-3x what some thought their combined total would have been at the beginning of the summer. Amazing!

9 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

Females gave to Titanic the most insane legs ever. Most people here were thinking for this like 2.5 legs. As positive as i was i believe to like 160M First weekend and 470M final. Something It will kinda touch at the end of the third weekend.

The movie Is everywhere, the soundtrack is exploding with multiple hits on charts (something in common with female drive movies in the past with insane legs, see again Titanic) so Who knows and above all why at this point legs shouldn't be just surprising as every single thing about this movie chart run has been until now? .

Soundtracks used to regularly explode and would fuel each other, so you could say argue Barbie is performing like an old school movie just at a much bigger level. 

• Like 1