setna

Weekday numbers 7-31 to 8-3

11 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That fucking Bryan Adams song that's the only reason the 91 Robin Hood film is remembered 🤮

Alan Rickman as Sheriff of Nothingham is the sole reason to watch that movie. "...and call off Christmas!"

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Captain Marvel is definitely one of the most granola blockbuster smash hits ever. And I maintain her character was not very well written/developed, Brie wasn’t a great fit either, but I digress. 

This is my personal opinion, but i really believe one of Marvels biggest plunders was making Captain Marvel kind of unlikable. When i see her on screen i just dont care for her like i did/do with Black Widow or Scarlet Witch, because she comes across as lowkey arrogant and very cold. Shes also so overpowered that it sunk the climax of the battle in Endgame for me. You see all the heroes struggling against Thanos Army and then she just flies in and in 5 seconds destroys the main ship and like half of Thanos army and then nearly defeats him herself after all the other Avengers failed to do that. It just always felt unearned for me, especially after all the hard struggle in Infinity War before.

I wont to reiterate that i also think that its the script that lets her character down. Brie is a very good actress and i do believe Captain Marvel could work as a character perfectly fine, but i gotta be honest, for me personally she doesnt work in CM and EG.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 4

I have ‘Everything I Do’ on cassette - single. 
Man I was so hyped for that movie to come out.  11 year old me - that film was everything in the build up to that summer. The song a big part of that for sure. 

Tie-in songs for the movie were the old ways of playing a trailer on a loop. We couldn’t do that, but we had the song. Maybe even the music video taped off MTV. 

U2’s Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me - another one I had on repeat in the build up to Batman Forever opening. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Captain Marvel is definitely one of the most granola blockbuster smash hits ever. And I maintain her character was not very well written/developed, Brie wasn’t a great fit either, but I digress. 

I think Captain Marvel box office was really helped for its promotion. It was promoted with a connection to Infinity War, but it was also promoted as the first MCU movie with a female lead (it's interesting that most audience of Captain Marvel were still men).

That said, Captain Marvel doesn't seem to have a bad reception either, since the box office fall for the second weekend was fine.

Edited by Kon

Captain Marvel is a Phase 1 movie that they slotted in right before the finale lol. 

I still like it and have watched it a few times but it’s clearly not up to the standards of everything else they were putting out. 

I definitely don’t blame Brie for her performance either, someone should have read the script and yelled at whoever until they removed amnesia from her backstory lol. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I have ‘Everything I Do’ on cassette - single. 
Man I was so hyped for that movie to come out.  11 year old me - that film was everything in the build up to that summer. The song a big part of that for sure. 

Tie-in songs for the movie were the old ways of playing a trailer on a loop. We couldn’t do that, but we had the song. Maybe even the music video taped off MTV. 

U2’s Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me - another one I had on repeat in the build up to Batman Forever opening. 

I was merely a foetus that summer 😅 summer 91 had some weird movies. But also T2 so goat. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

this is so true.

the fact that the versions of Bruce Springsteen’s “Secret Garden” and Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On” that had the movie dialogue throughout the song becomes huge radio hits shows how connected the songs were to the movies in people’s mind. 

also, just to add to the parade of hits, Aerosmith had one of their biggest career hits with “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” and the movie City of Angels produced the heavenly trio of Alanis Morrisette “Uninvited”,  Goo Goo Dolls “Iris” and Sarah Mclachlan’s “Angel”.  The 90s were amazing for Soundtrack hits.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cap said:

We’re going in for around 2 of Barbie with my Mom, Auntie, and Grandma. Just got to the theater. I love how everyone is still obeying the dress code. It’s just a flood of women in hot pink. 🥰

Lol every time I've visited the theater, I'm surrounded by pink shirts. It makes me feel so awkward and lonely when I'm the asshole seeing the Toy Story re-release or the new Mission: Impossible. Some real "Homer in a lesbian bar" vibes.

1 hour ago, SchumacherFTW said:

That fucking Bryan Adams song that's the only reason the 91 Robin Hood film is remembered 🤮

Bryan Adams in general 🤮

55 minutes ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

Yep, Barbie and Ken were also memorable in Toy Story 3. 

They were basically the blueprint for Gerwig's Barbie when you really think about it. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

It was lowkey one of the worst Infinity Saga movies and I say that as someone who quite enjoyed it when I saw it in theaters

Edited by Cheddar Please

47 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I was merely a foetus that summer 😅 summer 91 had some weird movies. But also T2 so goat. 

indeed the goat!

Also, Point Break, Thelma & Louise, JFK, The Rocketeer, Boyz n the Hood, City Slickers.   Wildly diverse slate of summer hits 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Congratulations to @IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son and @DAJK for winning the BARBIE and OPPENHEIMER second weekend prediction game last week!

Full results here: 

Crazy how six people guessed Barbie within a million yet nobody could do it with Oppy despite it grossing half as much. Seems like pretty much everyone was jumping on the $50m train while the $100m club for Barbie had fewer supporters.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IronJimbo & Sheldon's Son said:

Crazy how six people guessed Barbie within a million yet nobody could do it with Oppy despite it grossing half as much. Seems like pretty much everyone was jumping on the $50m train while the $100m club for Barbie had fewer supporters.

I am assuming a slightly higher than 50% Opp gross on weekends until proven otherwise. Hence I went 100 for Barbie 

2 hours ago, ListenHunnyUrOver said:

I’ve also heard people rave about Life in the Dream House

That YouTube series is SO FUN. I watched it religiously back in the day.