Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Estimates - Barbie $53M (hit a billion!), Meg2 $30M, Oppy $28.7, TMNT - $27.95M (5-day $43M), HauntedMansion $8.97M

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Dominion is like a perfect paradox. Considering how much the first two made and the popularity of the series, OF COURSE you expect it to have made a billion. But at the same time, it's like...THAT made a billion? It's just such a nothing burger of a movie. Not even a turd in the wind, but an inoffensive fart.

just like Rise of Skywalker tbh. These 2 are the complete opposite of what a movie should be. It's anti-art in its purest form

54 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Interestingly, every studio now has at least one:

Universal - Mario, JWD
Disney (via Fox) - Avatar 2

Sony - NWH

Paramount - TGM

WB - Barbie 

Hmm … Disney’s only one is an existing franchise IP they just bought, not developed (and perhaps half credit for NWH, though the nostalgia for Sony’s films was a big factor too).  In 2019, there were 9 $1B films, and Disney released 7 of them, while Spider-Man FFH (MCU connection) was 8th, leaving Joker as the only non-Disney film

From 2015-2019, Disney released 18 of the 27 $1B WW releases, with Universal grabbing 6 (JW, F&F, Minions), WB 2 (Joker, Aquaman), Sony 1 (FFH). Paramount’s previous was Transformers AOE in 2014, while Sony’s last non-Spidey was Skyfall in 2012 

Edited by M37
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Dominion is like a perfect paradox. Considering how much the first two made and the popularity of the series, OF COURSE you expect it to have made a billion. But at the same time, it's like...THAT made a billion? It's just such a nothing burger of a movie. Not even a turd in the wind, but an inoffensive fart.

Dominion is a good movie though. It has dinosaurs in it!

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

For me the next 2-3 weeks and into early Sep will still be all about Barbenheimer. Barbie over JW domestic, TGM WW? And Oppenheimer overseas and domestic holds without IMAX. Korea, China, Italy, and potentially Japan... Its performance there, along with drops after IMAX could make a huge difference. It might pass Fast X, become Nolan's second highest non-Batman, but if those markets deliver, then we're talking over GOTG3, Inception, Bohemian Rhapsody (remember THAT??? Still the biggest biopic)...

Dominion is basically Indy 5 but with dinosaurs, nonsensical action scenes with characters teleporting everywhere and relying on legacy characters to deliver nostalgia. Both have good chase sequences but it turns out that dinosaurs are worth $600m at the box office lol.

In fact if Jimbo Cameron can throw some dinosaurs into Pandora he might be able to crack $3B with Avatar 3 🤣

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Hmmm... Doesn't ring a bell.

The Mummy (1999) 20th AnniversaryReggie's Take.com

It ironically has the most amount of dinosaur screentime of the whole JW trilogy. But because of the plot focus on the locusts and the pacing, it doesnt really feel that way.

Still, a great movie. I just hope they never make one like it again in the future.

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

It ironically has the most amount of dinosaur screentime of the whole JW trilogy. But because of the plot focus on the locusts and the pacing, it doesnt really feel that way.

Still, a great movie. I just hope they never make one like it again in the future.

Your idea of a great movie and mine and a lot of other people are not the same. 

47 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

disagree. That movie ruined my childhood. It makes me want to  pull a Ritchie from Scream 5

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

yo could say that for a good chunk of the middle rows.

5 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Saw Oppenheimer again this morning. Sold out IMAX show in the U.K. on its third weekend. Just wild. 
Maybe liked it even more the second time. It’s U.K. number being now over $50 million is unbelievable. 

It blows my mind how many people are seeing this multiple times in a such a short span of time.  It's in my Top 5 movies of the year but probably going to wait at least a few weeks or a month or so for another viewing. This does not scream run back and see it over again and again. barbie, even though I have not seen it, makes sense 114 minutes and a easy sit.