Eric is Anxious

Weekend Thread (8/11-13) | Demeter 750K Previews

How many days away are we from $2B for Barbenheimer? 5? 6? 7?

Current totals:

Domestic: $790.6M ($526.3M/$264.3M)

International: $1.042B ($657.6M/$384.8M)

Global: $1.833B ($1.184B/$0.649B)

The international numbers alone are higher than what many thought would be their combined global total and it's only been 24 days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kayumanggi said:

I think 1.4B for BARBIE is possible.

i don't see possibility that it could make less than 1.4b 100m domestic is certain without expansion, re-release around oscars, sing along versions so it would only need 120m internationals, but i think we all know that wb will do everything to make as much money as possible. If barbie wouldnt flop in japan, she could make 1.5b or even finish top 10 worldwide.

Regal is offering 2pm previews of Gran Turismo today (Sunday) at most of its US locations. Will there be anyone who wants to see this film who has not seen it by the time its opening weekend arrives?

ETA: Looks like Regal is offering the following previews of GT next weekend: 7pm Fri; 3pm & 7pm Sat; and 2pm Sun. I suspect this past weekend was the same schedule. Keep this in mind when the Thursday preview numbers are eventually released, provided all of these previews aren’t rolled into the opening Friday numbers.

Edited by LonePirate
  • Like 1

Assuming about 34 actuals, Barbie is pacing about 30m behind JW with a $5m higher weekend and $60m ahead of TGM with a $10m lower weekend.

It’s crazy how big the gap is between JW and TGM final DOM when you consider Barbie still has such a big lead over TGM and still a decent amount behind JW. I still think something like a 675 finish is possible if it really can benefit from next to no big comp. 

44 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

Regal is offering 2pm previews of Gran Turismo today (Sunday) at most of its US locations. Will there be anyone who wants to see this film who has not seen it by the time its opening weekend arrives?

ETA: Looks like Regal is offering the following previews of GT next weekend: 7pm Fri; 3pm & 7pm Sat; and 2pm Sun. I suspect this past weekend was the same schedule. Keep this in mind when the Thursday preview numbers are eventually released, provided all of these previews aren’t rolled into the opening Friday numbers.

They've had 2PM/7PM previews for GT all this weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And that includes the ones next weekend. That's like...12 preview showings? Around that I think? It's such a stupid idea that, at this point, you might as well have kept it on its original release date.

Also the ones at Regal are in ScreenX, which like...no thank you. Would have likely checked one of them out on a boring weekend like this, but using that screen? I'm good mate.

2 minutes ago, Eric the Turtle said:

They've had 2PM/7PM previews for GT all this weekend. Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And that includes the ones next weekend. That's like...12 preview showings? Around that I think? It's such a stupid idea that, at this point, you might as well have kept it on its original release date.

There were preview screenings last weekend, too, in addition to some AMC Dolby previews on Tuesday (or maybe it was Wednesday) this past week, which were likely scheduled before the film changed release dates. 

It has been a fairly common practice for decades to hold a preview screening during a Saturday for a film opening the following week. What GT has done for the past two weekends in combination with next weekend is seemingly unprecedented. Has there ever been a film which has had so many previews? Regardless of what day these preview grosses are rolled into, that second weekend drop, even for it being Labor Day, is going to be atrocious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

ELEMENTAL has also entered the top 10 worldwide after passing JOHN WICK IV and TRANSFORMERS: RISE OF THE BEASTS. It might end up at #9 if it has enough legs to pass ANT-MAN AND THE WASP: QUANTUMANIA (476.0M)

Then it might stay there until DUNE II (If it doesn't move.)

As always, the top 10 worldwide I am referring to is for Hollywood movies only.

1 hour ago, 1Robert1 said:

i don't see possibility that it could make less than 1.4b 100m domestic is certain without expansion, re-release around oscars, sing along versions so it would only need 120m internationals, but i think we all know that wb will do everything to make as much money as possible. If barbie wouldnt flop in japan, she could make 1.5b or even finish top 10 worldwide.

Topping 1.5B worldwide means topping TOP GUN: MAVERICK. I don't see that for now, but who knows?

8 minutes ago, LonePirate said:

There were preview screenings last weekend, too, in addition to some AMC Dolby previews on Tuesday (or maybe it was Wednesday) this past week, which were likely scheduled before the film changed release dates. 

It has been a fairly common practice for decades to hold a preview screening during a Saturday for a film opening the following week. What GT has done for the past two weekends in combination with next weekend is seemingly unprecedented. Has there ever been a film which has had so many previews? Regardless of what day these preview grosses are rolled into, that second weekend drop, even for it being Labor Day, is going to be atrocious.

It's more having the ability to open the movie for 3 weeks, playing only at the most popular times on the best screens, letting folks feel like they are "in the know" and seeing something early, without having any press about box office, which would have almost certainly been negative with a single OW open.

Like SoF's pay it forward scheme, I think this is genius for Gran Turismo.  We've seen what bad box office press can do to a movie (most recent - Haunted Mansion), so to just get to rack up dollar after dollar of box office without that press was a great strategy, no matter how its overall box office turns out...I mean, as folks here are suggesting, by OW, it's almost certain to be an "opening weekend" in the 20Ms DOM minimum, even if it falls off a cliff OW...and it could be much higher...thus, good press galore b/c of almost 3 OWs worth of BO in one...  

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

Just looked at MI7's WW BO - it's up to $522M.  Since I haven't been following its INT gross closely, does this still have a shot at 2x production budget or $580M, and thus an overall positive result?

I know it has about $15Mish or so in the DOM tank, so it would need the rest ($40Mish) INT...