kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

7 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Well that depends on the PLF/IMAX percentage of the OW. If it's negligible, losing them won't really have much effect.

Counterpoint - every blockbuster recently has been desperate for IMAX/PLFs cause in general they pull in a big chunk of the audience. Studios have literally been warring over them this summer. I don’t think they’d be doing that if it was negligible to overall gross. CBM are also known to be PLF heavily skewed. 

Losing them will make it harder to obtain a small drop next weekend. Again, anything is possible, but with RT reviews now sitting at 76% and verified aud at 93% and moving downward, I can’t see this being a “must see” WOM phenomenon. Add in the fact lots of places are back to school now and the summer weekdays are just getting weaker and weaker now. 

As I said, this has a lot of work cut out for it to get great holds in the weeks ahead. 

3 hours ago, toutvabien said:

If The Marvels gets even decent-ish reviews, it's opening over $100m. It's actually the most likely film to open to $100m for the rest of the year. Now, anything other than decent could spell some doom, but $80m still seems like the absolute floor for these movies. If it gets GOTG 3 reviews and WoM, it's probably opening on par if not higher.

FNAF.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

Counterpoint - every blockbuster recently has been desperate for IMAX/PLFs cause in general they pull in a big chunk of the audience. Studios have literally been warring over them this summer. I don’t think they’d be doing that if it was negligible to overall gross. CBM are also known to be PLF heavily skewed. 

Losing them will make it harder to obtain a small drop next weekend. Again, anything is possible, but with RT reviews now sitting at 76% and verified aud at 93% and moving downward, I can’t see this being a “must see” WOM phenomenon. Add in the fact lots of places are back to school now and the summer weekdays are just getting weaker and weaker now. 

As I said, this has a lot of work cut out for it to get great holds in the weeks ahead. 

Again, I'm not saying PLF/IMAX isn't important. But if Blue Beetle is only making 5-10% of its gross this weekend from PLF/IMAX, losing them won't be that big of a deal.

11 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

FNAF.

Think the Peacock Day and Date will eat into it. That’s the only thing stopping me from the 100m OW train. Think it could outopen Halloween 2018 at 75m though.

• Haha 1

Friday Midday: Early numbers show Warner Bros/DC’s Blue Beetle with $9.8M today and a $25M opening at 3,871. This is higher than what others are showing given the expectation that Latino and Hispanic audiences will show up tonight and during matinees. Remember that Blue Beetle has all the PLFs, Imax and premium upcharges working in its favor.

Warners can boast second place in the fifth weekend of Barbie at 4,003 theaters with a $6M Friday, -40% from a week ago, and a $20M-$21M 3-day, -39%. On the high end, Barbie gets to $566.7M by EOD Sunday.

Third and fourth respectively go to Universal with Oppenheimer and Strays. Oppenheimer at 3,321 theaters will see $3M in its fifth Friday, -40%, for $10.9M 3-day, -42% and running total of $285.5M — the Christopher Nolan film will soon overtake Inception‘s domestic of $293M. Bad news, the $46M production, R-rated Strays, is coming in at $8.5M at 3,223 after a $3.5M Friday.

https://deadline.com/2023/08/box-office-blue-beetle-strays-barbie-1235522235/

Edited by Truckasaurus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Is Blue Beetle confirmed to be losing IMAX next week to Gran Turismo? Looking at current showtimes GT has Dolby but no IMAX listed.

It’s on IMAX’s official website. 
of course, we know all 70mm will still be Oppy for a while, but that was true this weekend too so it isn’t “losing” any of those ones. 

Currently, my local IMAX has 39 seats sold for the 7pm BB on opening night. Im thinking there will definitely be some theatres that switch over to Gran, though I could see BB possibly keeping some in certain areas with high Latino population? Looks like Dolby, AVX, 4DX and others are mostly going to Gran as well.

2 hours ago, Truckasaurus said:

Streaming killed the comedy genre. Nowadays you either have to be IP related if you want your comedy to succeed theatrically. If you're original, people are just going to want to wait for VOD to watch it.

Well No Hard Feelings managed to do decently recently. But yeh comedy has had a rough ride, apart from Barbie obviously. 

54 minutes ago, Truckasaurus said:

Paramount’s third weekend of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem is at $2.2M for Friday, -45% from a week ago, a $8.4M 3-day, -45%, for a running total of $88.1M by EOD Sunday.

Underwhelming, hoped it would have better legs than this...

The early weekend projections were $10-12M.

Edited by Jovan

21 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The early weekend projections were $12-14M.

Setting aside that this is Deadline numbers, what kind of precedent would there have been for TMNT to pull off $12-14M when it did $15.2M last week and has to share screen real estate with Blue Beetle this week? A mid-30% drop seemed like the most optimistic scenario to me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, electride said:

Setting aside that this is Deadline numbers, what kind of precedent would there have been for TMNT to pull off $12-14M when it did $15.2M last week and has to share screen real estate with Blue Beetle this week? A mid-30% drop seemed like the most optimistic scenario to me.

I'm sorry, Deadline's early weekend estimations were $10-12M here: https://deadline.com/2023/08/blue-beetle-barbie-strays-box-office-1235520300/

Edited by Jovan

29 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Paramount’s third weekend of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem is at $2.2M for Friday, -45% from a week ago, a $8.4M 3-day, -45%, for a running total of $88.1M by EOD Sunday.

The early weekend projections were $12-14M.

It unfortunately just isn't breaking out of the baseline Turtles audience. This is what happens when you open so soon after a mega event film. Audiences of today just don't have the money to go see anything inbetween Endgame-level events. The art style being a lot more... scribbly than its peers isn't helping either. This really would've been better served in December, but it is what it is. As I've said before though, it only cost $70M, and being a lower-budget fan-driven franchise isn't too bad of a fate for the Turtles. Michael Bay poisoned the well so much I'm shocked so many in this forum want him back on Transformers.

• Like 1