kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

2 hours ago, Unfitclock said:

I though strays would opening to around violent night numbers at the very least has a movie with almost 50% awareness ever opened under 10 million

No hard feelings made it's double on opening weekend. The power of Jennifer Lawrence. She beat will Ferrell at his own game. 

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Barbie not maintaining as much of a weekend lead on JW as I would have liked. Looking like it could be a close race. Any 700 chances are dead now. I still don’t understand why TGM had the late legs it did, but whatever. 

TGM had IMAX advantage that was too big for Barbie to overcome with Oppy taking all the IMAX screens.

So, Blue Beetle is good. 
More like a B-plus paper. It got the character and themes right. Had some nice moments. But some quibbles and no big wow to move it to a higher grade. 
When people say a Blue Beetle movie was doomed, I would point out that big name heroes have been considered dead at the box office and bench players have done great. 
It’s too bad. BB did not have enough juice to overcome the marketplace for non-Batman DC product right now. I don’t know if we will see Xolo Madiuena as this character again but it was a nice show. 

26 minutes ago, Mr Terrific said:

So, Blue Beetle is good. 
More like a B-plus paper. It got the character and themes right. Had some nice moments. But some quibbles and no big wow to move it to a higher grade. 
When people say a Blue Beetle movie was doomed, I would point out that big name heroes have been considered dead at the box office and bench players have done great. 
It’s too bad. BB did not have enough juice to overcome the marketplace for non-Batman DC product right now. I don’t know if we will see Xolo Madiuena as this character again but it was a nice show. 

Blue Beetle was doomed because it’s still part of the old DCU that has been rejected by the audience in general since Justice League. Not much to do with the hero himself, or even the movie itself. Put this exact movie in the MCU and it would’ve done at least 400M I think, at least before Quantumania anyway.

Also, Superman just needs a good budget and great reviews to be considered a successful rebirth of the Superman character, a bit like how Batman Begins was considered a successful rebirth of Batman even though it didn’t explode in the box office or anything.

And Gunn is the right man to do it imho, he’s proven it time and time again.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Also, Superman just needs a good budget and great reviews to be considered a successful rebirth of the Superman character, a bit like how Batman Begins was considered a successful rebirth of Batman even though it didn’t explode in the box office or anything.

And Gunn is the right man to do it imho, he’s proven it time and time again.

There is a LOT riding on Superman Legacy. It has to be really good and it has to connect with audiences. Basically needs to jump start things the way Iron Man did for Marvel in 2008. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

TGM had IMAX advantage that was too big for Barbie to overcome with Oppy taking all the IMAX screens.

I wish we had admissions. Would love to know at what point it would beat TGM since it would surely be under the gross obviously. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Squire said:

There is a LOT riding on Superman Legacy. It has to be really good and it has to connect with audiences. Basically needs to jump start things the way Iron Man did for Marvel in 2008. 

To add:

I do hope Gunn brings in some of the more zany, sci-fi aspects of Superman. That’s something all the movies adaptions have left out. 

Again, when speaking about BB’s hold next week, people need to remember that it will lose some IMAX and other PLFs next weekend. Quite a few IMAX’s around me have now posted their Gran Turismo showtimes for next weekend. I’m sure quite a few theatres on the fence will now do the same thing. Why keep an underperforming movie in PLFs when you’ve got fresh product next weekend. Considering deadline said that 40% of weekend showings for BB were PLF (showings, not gross) it will undoubtedly have some impact next weekend as BB is relegated to regular priced, smaller screens. 

Couple that with the fact that superhero movies always have a first weekend rush, that Thursday’s 3.3 number brings the true weekend number closer to 22, and we can see it will have a rough weekend ahead of it. 

And national cinema day will be a double edged sword. Yes, it will benefit from it like all other films. But those saying it has no competition next weekend might be forgetting that if anyone is in the “haven’t gotten around to seeing it” camp for films like Barbie, Oppy, MI7 or even TMNT, they will likely try to catch them next weekend for a discount. Cinemas are banking on that, so most films will keep screens next weekend. BB will lose most PLFs and not be compensated with extra regular showtimes and/or be relegated to the smaller regular screens since Barbie and Oppy have proven to have better holds and are more reliable.

Saying nothing about the quality of the movie, the interest is just not there for this one. 

• Sad 1

Sunday is going to have very muted walkups so hopefully that 25M number for Blue Beetle takes CA’s hurricane/storm into consideration. I see nothing but teens and young adults, no kiddos or parents like normal lol 

Hopefully families show up next week, but anyway im about to see Blue Beetle, finally! Hope I enjoy it!

Superman is just a hard character to crack for today on film. We haven't had a beloved Superman film since maybe Superman II? Making a well received Batman and Spider-Man film is alot easier when we know what modern audiences enjoy from those characters. Less so with Superman even though I love the character.

55 minutes ago, Squire said:

People get mad at me when I say it needs to hit a billion to be considered an unqualified success, but that’s how I feel. Things are so dire that DC needs a win of that magnitude. 

I don’t believe Superman has been a very appealing superhero for this entire century, so I’d argue Legacy needs to just throw the comics out the window and basically invent a new character that can resonate. 

Edit: lol at Listen saying the same thing right above me before I saw it 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

15 hours ago, baumer said:

There's so much to break down and discuss here and for that reason I'm not going to do it LOL but let me just say there's nothing wrong with saying Andrew Garfield is a terrific actor and then in the same breath saying Tom Holland is also a terrific actor. It's not a pissing contest you don't have to choose one over the other. I'm not even a big Tom Holland Spider-Man movie guy but he's terrific in the role.

If there was ever a movie that Andrew Garfield should have won an Oscar for in my opinion, it's hacksaw ridge. I think so many people should have been nominated for an Oscar in that movie. Vince Vaughn Teresa Palmer and of course Andrew Garfield.

And the last thing I'll say is regarding Deadpool part 3, to those of you who said that it's going under deadpool, I just don't see how you could possibly think that. Hugh Jackman and his character are going to add all kinds of interest and just remember when Deadpool part 2 was about to be released almost everybody thought it would go under deadpool. With Ryan Reynolds at least partially running the show, he's going to make sure it's a film that fans want to see.

I don't think Holland is a terrific actor. He is quite mediocre.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

19 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

Zaslav was vindicated when he removed low watched HBOMAX shows when other streamers started doing, most notably Netflix, and now is being vindicated on writing off Batgirl

hilarious seeing these people on Twitter crying about removing shows nobody watched. Who’s to bet a lot of the ones complaining also didn’t watch it?

• Like 2

Since we’ve moved on from talking about Spider-Man to Superman, let me just say that while MoS has it’s flaws, I still think it’s a great Superman film, and a great movie in and of itself. Humanizes Superman in a way that no other adaptation had been able to do. Love it.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1