kayumanggi

Weekend Numbers (actuals) | Aug 18 - 20 | 25.0M BLUE BEETLE | 21.1M BARBIE

30 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This is my thought about streaming. People nowadays like to claim if a movie flopped at BO, the streaming will come in and save the day. That doesn't make sense at all!

Streaming didn't create an additional revenue stream for a movie! They merely replacing all other format such as DVD/Blu-ray and TV. The way how streaming save a flop nowadays isn't much different from how physical media did back in 1990s or 2000s.   

Disney had $2.8B in operating income from the theater division in 2019, and in this financial year, which started with Wakanda Forever, they are in a $500 million+ loss till now, and that's because of increase in production costs and the loss of home entertainment and TV revenue because of Disney+. But what if Disney+ makes $2B+ in profit after 2 or 3 years? So theatrical money is important, but streaming services like Disney+ reduce the risk of loss of revenue from the theatrical division.

Streaming is awful for every media company not named Netflix. They used to make bank from physical and rental sales and the streaming model took that away. To be fair to them, they had to adapt since if they hadn’t Netflix would have an even larger share of the market. But they’re chasing something that has a limited ceiling on revenue and will never provide as much of a profit as DVD/rentals once used to. 

Note that I said “as much of a profit” because services will become profitable (Disney+ next year, and MAX just did I’m pretty sure, or will soon), it will just never reach the heights of previous times and studios (and therefore creative input) will seriously hurt

But I’m a known streaming doomer and maybe I’m wrong about all this lol

• Like 3

The trailer for Strays always gets huge laughs every time I’ve seen it played. Surprised by the disinterest. 

$3.3m is not enough for Blue Beetle to save any face unfortunately. Will see both either this weekend or during the week.  

32 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The trailer for Strays always gets huge laughs every time I’ve seen it played. Surprised by the disinterest. 

$3.3m is not enough for Blue Beetle to save any face unfortunately. Will see both either this weekend or during the week.  

Streaming killed the comedy genre. Nowadays you either have to be IP related if you want your comedy to succeed theatrically. If you're original, people are just going to want to wait for VOD to watch it.

• Like 1

So 3.3m is about what Shazam 2 did... is $30m possible? if so that would definitely  be enough to top the weekend. Not great. but it's getting decent WoM and should have much better legs. maybe it can inch it's way to $100m? 

Don't listen to anyone that says streaming has killed these studios profits. WB prior to 2009 never made a billion in profits, then did more than a billion every year but one until 2021 when they were sold/merged. In 2019 they made almost $3 bil in profit. They're fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

What do you mean blockbuster count cutoff

Graphs/charts measuring something like "the number of films making ___ per year" no sources like contemporary MPAA theme reports. making 200 million seems to have had some cultural cachet that it really doesn't now. By ~2010 I feel like that sort of baseline had ratcheted up to 300M.

I think James Gunn is a good director for Superman based on his comments about the character and their direction of the film, but I’ll be totally honest I’d be much more excited if it were standalone instead of another would-be cinematic universe starter. I say that as someone who’s more of a fan of DC characters than Marvel, I just don’t see the point after Infinity War/Endgame. Like, sure, it’d be cool, but chances are the outcome is just gonna be a DC rebranding of Endgame in 10 years if all is successful.

1 hour ago, abracadabra1998 said:

Streaming is awful for every media company not named Netflix. They used to make bank from physical and rental sales and the streaming model took that away. To be fair to them, they had to adapt since if they hadn’t Netflix would have an even larger share of the market. But they’re chasing something that has a limited ceiling on revenue and will never provide as much of a profit as DVD/rentals once used to. 

Note that I said “as much of a profit” because services will become profitable (Disney+ next year, and MAX just did I’m pretty sure, or will soon), it will just never reach the heights of previous times and studios (and therefore creative input) will seriously hurt

But I’m a known streaming doomer and maybe I’m wrong about all this lol

I feel like Comcast, Disney, WB had to get in the streaming game to make up the lost revenue due to the massive drop off in cable subscribers. 

13 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Graphs/charts measuring something like "the number of films making ___ per year" no sources like contemporary MPAA theme reports. making 200 million seems to have had some cultural cachet that it really doesn't now. By ~2010 I feel like that sort of baseline had ratcheted up to 300M.

Speaking of cultural cachet. I didn't know Batman Begins existed until I started getting into movies at ~13. I thought it was just Dark Knight and then Rises. I didn't even know they didn't take place in the same timeline as the Keaton films.

11 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think James Gunn is a good director for Superman based on his comments about the character and their direction of the film, but I’ll be totally honest I’d be much more excited if it were standalone instead of another would-be cinematic universe starter. I say that as someone who’s more of a fan of DC characters than Marvel, I just don’t see the point after Infinity War/Endgame. Like, sure, it’d be cool, but chances are the outcome is just gonna be a DC rebranding of Endgame in 10 years if all is successful.

The first Guardians of the Galaxy introduced Thanos and the Infinity Stones + retconning the tesseract to be an infinity stone. But the film itself doesn't feel like a cinematic universe set up and works very well on its own. I believe Superman: Legacy will be similar.

• Like 1

The problem for Blue Beetle to get great legs is that if it opens to around 25 million this weekend with IMAX and PLFs, it’s going to be hard to hold well losing most IMAX next weekend to Gran Turismo and then most other PLFs to Equalizer 3 over the Labour Day weekend. 

One day of National Cinema discounts next weekend is only going to go so far. Especially since a lot of places will only be playing it on one screen next weekend. Nothing is impossible, but it’s got a lot of work ahead of it for good legs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

The problem for Blue Beetle to get great legs is that if it opens to around 25 million this weekend with IMAX and PLFs, it’s going to be hard to hold well losing most IMAX next weekend to Gran Turismo and then most other PLFs to Equalizer 3 over the Labour Day weekend. 

One day of National Cinema discounts next weekend is only going to go so far. Especially since a lot of places will only be playing it on one screen next weekend. Nothing is impossible, but it’s got a lot of work ahead of it for good legs. 

Well that depends on the PLF/IMAX percentage of the OW. If it's negligible, losing them won't really have much effect.