Borobudur

National Cinema Day Draw 8.5m admission | GT $17.4m | Barbie $15.1m | BB: $12.2m | Oppy: $8.2m | TMNT: $6.1m | Meg2: $4.8m

Barbie had 1 day of early shows. That was not as wide as some of the other big movies like Maverick and Batman (both had huge EA across 2 or more days). AT MTC1 it did little under 420K. I am not expecting overall early BO to be slightly greater than 1m. That is less than 1% of its OW BO. Let us not even compare that to what GT did 🙂

• Like 1

Just was looking at Metreon and saw Oppeneheimer still having Imax shows upcoming weekend as well. Similar story at other 70mm Imax. So it will have really strong weekend again and not held back by $4 pricing yesterday. I am expecting another great weekend and probably double digit 4 day weekend. 

• Like 1

I don’t think the studios should be annoyed with each other, they’ve all done it. I’m sure if it really wasn’t allowed, it wouldn’t be happening. 

Gran Turismo will still lose money theatrically, despite only costing $60m. 

• Like 2

Sunday’s final tally will determine if Bottoms nabs the highest per-screen average post-pandemic on ten or more screens. A24’s Everything Everywhere All At Opened to $50,131 at 10 locations in March of 2022. 

Failed........Sunday drop is horrible at 51%.

Aug 25, 2023 - $461,052   10 $46,105   $461,052 1

20 minutes ago, Unfitclock said:

It seems like the low ticket sales screwed over bottom instead of helping it

Not surprising. I imagine it was already at (or near) capacity for the few theaters it had on Friday and Saturday, so all Sunday did was slash ticket prices without much benefit to admissions. Clearly, NCD isn't very conducive to platform releases. Though the point is to drum up WOM which should still happen (even if the headlines about a better PTA could have helped it a bit more).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I definitely agree that Oppenheimer would have made far less money if it wasn't for the TikTok generation deciding to connect it to Barbie in the name of comedy. I'd say it wouldn't have made much more than Dunkirk in that scenario.

I also think Barbie would have been Detective Pikachu all over again and massively underperformed if the aforementioned TikTok crowd didn't prop it up like they did. I'd go so far to say that it might've made less than Oppenheimer.

It's honestly kind of scary how much power TikTok has now. Like countless emperors of old, they decide, with just their thumbs, who lives and who dies. At least as far as movies are concerned.

You're vastly underestimating Barbie's significance among women. A well-made movie based on one of the biggest IP ever with an all-time great marketing campaign would have done huge numbers whether or not it was released on the same day as Oppenheimer.

Also, comparing it to detective Pikachu is laughable. A live-action adaptation of a spinoff Pokemon game which had middling reception is not comparable to Barbie. It probably does less WW if released in 2023 because of China.

Edited by Bob Train
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Eric the Car said:

I mean the first live-action movie in 1990 broke box office records and the 2014 movie made $500M. Don't think going into live-action hurt the franchise's appeal whatsoever.

Honestly the big issue here in hindsight is that Mutant Mayhem didn't really have much of a hook to distinguish itself from the recent movies outside of the funky art style. So it really only got the hardcore fans excited. Plus the 2014 movie came out when there was a hot new cartoon on Nickelodeon that was averaging 2-3 million viewers an episode. The last show, Rise of the TMNT,  flopped, with its second season dumped on Nicktoons. And there hasn't been anything new with the property apart from a Netflix movie that came and went last year. So it doesn't help that a lot of kids today don't have the same Turtle fever that kids 10 years ago had.

And in the end, it's still gunning for a solid 120M domestically and has strong reception that will help keep the franchise chugging along. If Paramount were smart, they would find a way to send this to Netflix if they want a good sequel bump. Spider-Verse got a huge second wind of popularity when it played on there.

From Paramount's POV, this film has successfully rebooted the franchise. OS is harder to pinpoint because it's still not been released yet in some major markets. 

With regards to TMNT, taking live-action IP to animation always causes hit.

If Barbie 2 was animated with Margot Robbie voicing Barbie, it would flop. If you release animated Star Wars or MCU movies in theaters they would not come close to what live-action movies do. Smurfs: Lost Village and Into the Spider-Verse also did not do what their live-action movies did.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

If Barbie 2 was animated with Margot Robbie voicing Barbie, it would flop. If you release animated Star Wars or MCU movies in theaters they would not come close to what live-action movies do. Smurfs: Lost Village and Into the Spider-Verse also did not do what their live-action movies did.

That is also true sadly. There's always going to be a major audience sector that don't like seeing those goshdarn cartoons and will always make franchise installments like these more niche. People see those Disney remakes for a reason after all.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Ironically as if to validate the point, Star Wars actually did try it once. Well, at least Dave Filoni got to do a big Disney+ spinoff.