RyneOh1040

Taylor Swift || The Eras Tour Concert Film - October 13, 2023 | Comes to Disney+ w/ 5 bonus songs

When you consider it's been SEVENTEEN years since her debut album dropped and she is PEAKING like never before, her popularity snowballing with every album, I think MJ and Elvis are the only comparisons. The Beatles quit in a decade. Madonna was well past her popularity prime at the same point in her career. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, SnokesLegs said:

Can’t wait to see Deadline’s ethnicity breakdown for this, might be the first time we see 100% Caucasian 😂

You are gonna be insanely surprised then 

As per surveys, Taylor Swift fan ethnic background matches with American ethnic background. Also she is the biggest here in Asia even bigger than what she is in America 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1

As non american i don't get what It's a problem is something Is "White" or "black" or "latin". Everyone has its audience.

Also star wars is the most american thing ever (and as a massive thing in america of course basically he's most a whites thing). It's also  very poppish easy culture, not like philiph roth. So as TS herself would sing just calm down and and let these woman enjoy the Easy pop things you all enjoys too (at least in cinema).

Edited by vale9001

4 hours ago, AniNate said:

I have to imagine she's pretty close to the same planet as them. Like I don't know how much bigger you can get than selling out a tour of football stadiums in minutes and racking up $36m in concert recording presales in the first 24 hours it was announced.

Easy. 

Look up how many albums Thriller sold. When people actually had to go out and spend money on ONE album and leave the house. 

There was a mania around Jackson that I and others on here actually lived through, and trust me….Swift isn’t close. Nobody has been. It’ll never happen again. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Easy. 

Look up how many albums Thriller sold. When people actually had to go out and spend money on ONE album and leave the house. 

There was a mania around Jackson that I and others on here actually lived through, and trust me….Swift isn’t close. Nobody has been. It’ll never happen again. 

Album sales aren't the only metric that matters. Yes, people had to leave their house to buy his albums, but that was also the only way they could hear them at all. No modern artists will touch unit sales because streaming is so ubiquitous these days that people don't need to actually buy the album to listen to it. But that doesn't mean there can't still be superstars.

I admit the math is imperfect but MJ's highest grossing tours only adjust to about $400 million in modern terms while Eras has just done about $1 billion. I'm not here to diminish MJ, but I'm pretty confident history will be on the side of Swift being one of the biggest pop artists of all time and denying that assertion just seems like being deliberately contrarian, especially with these unprecedented doc presales.

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Easy. 

She’s one of the only artist right now that actually has fans who buy her albums lol 

Her last album midnights sold over 1M PHYSICAL copies in its first week…

I can’t speak on Thriller obviously which has sold a shit ton of records during a time when you would go out to buy records but shes literally known as an album seller where people go out and but her albums even though streaming has taken over. 

I think MJ was on another level though in my opinion at least based on what i’ve heard and videos i’ve seen lol….but i’d say she’s someone who comes close to that commercially at least again imo But i don’t think it’s fair to compare the two DIRECTLY cause they come from different eras of music consumption and that’s why this whole x,y,z is bigger than so and so for me is dumb. But i have no issues saying she’s one of the biggest if not biggest artists since the likes of MJ, Beatles, Madonna etc 

Edited by Nova

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Album sales aren't the only metric that matters. Yes, people had to leave their house to buy his albums, but that was also the only way they could hear them at all. No modern artists will touch unit sales because streaming is so ubiquitous these days that people don't need to actually buy the album to listen to it. But that doesn't mean there can't still be superstars.

I admit the math is imperfect but MJ's highest grossing tours only adjust to about $400 million in modern terms while Eras has just done about $1 billion. I'm not here to diminish MJ, but I'm pretty confident history will be on the side of Swift being one of the biggest pop artists of all time and denying that assertion just seems like being deliberately contrarian, especially with these unprecedented doc presales.

Michael Jackson isn't a great comparison because he didn't tour as much as Taylor has as a solo artists and indeed he didn't tour in North America for the HIStory or the Dangerous tours. 

33 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I’m not denying it at all. She’s the biggest there is right now. A phenomenon. Just not close to as big as he was, or The Beatles. 

3 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

When you consider it's been SEVENTEEN years since her debut album dropped and she is PEAKING like never before, her popularity snowballing with every album, I think MJ and Elvis are the only comparisons. The Beatles quit in a decade. Madonna was well past her popularity prime at the same point in her career. 

This is the truly bonkers part of it all. Throughout modern mainstream history (starting in the 40s or 50s), there has never been anything like this at all. Her sophomore era from 2008 and her 1989 era from a decade ago were both massive and both should have very easily been her commercial peak and would already put her up there with the biggest peaks of them all. Instead she has had a massive peak in each decade, three decades in a row, and managed to get drastically more popular each time. It’s wild.

The only other somewhat comparable situation would be MJ since it was 13 years into his career before his peak with Thriller, given his debut with the Jackson 5. Major difference is he never had a huge commercial plateau before that era like Taylor has, and was only a few years into his breakout as a solo star. Nearly all of the all time biggest artists hit their popularity peak at their breakout or a few years after their breakout.

Drake and Ariana would be some of the only other exceptions to this rule, peaking in popularity so far about a decade into their careers. But in both cases, once again those peaks were nothing like Taylor’s right now. 

As to whoever scoffed at her being on Beatlemania/MJ Thriller level right now… as someone very well versed in popular music history, I don’t need to have lived through those peaks to know she is very much on that level right now. Just the sheer way she inspires complete insane passion/pandemonium over whatever she does right now from such a massive group of people is something only Elvis, Beatles and MJ at their peak have ever done before. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As i already said Historical eras are too different in terms of populations, technologies and everything to make comparisons that makes sense. When Elvis was a thing music as an industry was a new thing, the competition was nothing in terms of genres and number of artists (if un that era in an year there were like 10k album released now they are 150k). And many millions others differences, some in favour of that time, some in favour of our era. 

It's like in the cinema with gone with the Wind vs Jaws vs Titanic vs Avatar. There are a lot of difference in terms of industry, technology, cultures to make a comparison there Is totally equivalent. The only thing we can say everyone of them owned their own era. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

Easy. 

It's not a fair comparison because people consume albums differently. Comparing physical album sales is a very flawed comparison, you have to look at things like equivalent album sales which take streaming into account. Taylor hasn't reached the level of MJ at his peak and never will but I'm certain she will have more longevity and have a real shot at matching his career when it's all said and done.

7 hours ago, XXR's Eras Tour said:

Ehh, I don't want this thread to devolve into a battle of who was "bigger" between the biggest musicians in history, because there's no good way to quantify things and more importantly her career and this film have nothing to do with MJ, The Beatles or anyone else. 

I agree. I think it's similar to Tennis where you have pre "Open Era" and "Open Era" where Rod Laver and Djokovic are the respective greatest.

I think for musicians, you have to split it to pre and post streaming. Pre you have beasts like Jackson, Beatles, Madonna

Post, Swift is kind of in a league of her own if you take into account

Streaming plus album sales plus awards plus concert sales plus longevity.

Like an earlier poster said, 17 year gap and the sheer ammount of music she's produced is insane. Many other elite musicians nowadays produce less than half the number of albums she has