Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | #FRI - Equalizer $13.1M, Barbie $2.50M, GT $1.56M, Beetle $1.52M, Opp $1.32M, TMNT $1.04M

8 minutes ago, VanillaSkies said:

And we can’t rule out an Oscar timed IMAX re-expansion either. 

if all the kolossals are being pushed to 2024, especially titles with an appeal to oldest male audience (dune, napoleon) will happen for sure.

They could try also some kinda of "special edition" with extras like for barbie too. Of course it's more difficult to imagine something similiar for a movie like this but who knows, they can find some idea...for example i know the movie is already very long but you can add at the end of the movie a short documentary about the real events of the movie...or of course you can use backstage scenes of how they shoot the better sequences and something like that. 

Edited by vale9001

12 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

if all the kolossals are being pushed to 2024, especially titles with an appeal to oldest male audience (dune, napoleon) will happen for sure.

They could try also some kinda of "special edition" with extras like for barbie too. Of course it's more difficult to imagine something similiar for a movie like this but who knows, they can find some idea...for example i know the movie is already very long but you can add at the end of the movie a short documentary about the real events of the movie...or of course you can use backstage scenes of how they shoot the better sequences and something like that. 

Not everything needs a gimmick.

21 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Not everything needs a gimmick.

absolutely needs it. People already watched it on Imax so in a few months a re release in Imax could be a no news like the Top Gun Maverick re release in december was. With an extra you get the headline. 

Edited by vale9001

https://deadline.com/2023/09/box-office-equalizer-3-denzel-washington-1235533871/

1.) Equalizer 3 (Sony) Fri $13.1M 3-day $35.5M-$36.5M, 4-day $42M-$43.5M/Wk 1

2.) Barbie (WB) 3,586 (-150) theaters, Fri $2.5M (-38 %) 3-day $10M (-34%) 4-day $13M/Total $611.8M/Wk 7

3.) Blue Beetle 3,316 (-555) theaters, Fri $1.52M (-42%), 3-day $7M (-42%), 4-day $9M/Total $58.3M/Wk 3

4.) Gran Turismo (Sony) 3,856 theaters, Fri $1.56M (-82%) 3-day $6.55M 4-day $8.5M, total $30.6M/Total Wk 2

5.) Oppenheimer (Uni) 2,543 (-329) theaters Fri $1.3M (-42%) 3-day $5.38M (-35%) 4-day $7M/Total $310M/Wk 7

6.) Teenage Mutanta Ninja Turtles…(Par) 2,955 (-190) theaters Fri $1.04M (-32%) 3-day $4.77M (-35%), 4-day $6.3M, Total $107.99M/Wk 5

7.) The Meg 2: The Trench (WB) 2,371 (-561) theaters Fri $600K (-44%) 3-day $3M (-38%) 4-day $4M/Total $79.4M/ Wk 5

8.) Bottoms (MGM) 715 (+705) theaters, Fri $1.27M (+452%), 3-day $3.1M (+582%), 4-day $3.78M, Total $4.5M/Wk 2

9.) Strays (Uni) 2,486 (-746) theaters, Fri $610K (-47%) 3-day $2.44M (-51%), 4-day $3.1M Total $21.3M/ Wk 3

10.) Talk to Me (A24) 1,075 (-246) theaters Fri $449K (-26%) 3-day $1.6M (-26%) 4-day $1.95M Total $44.2M/Wk 6

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Since it's a weekend for male 13-45 openers, I finally watched GOTG 3 on D+.  2nd best super of the year, but WAY behind Spidey.  Serviceable, smaller story and decent quality - B work.  But nothing outstanding.  The worst parts were Mantis/Drax/Nebula's three-some, especially the wildly out of character move for Mantis in the "Idiot" scene,  The best parts were Rocket and his friends - by far.  I also didn't love Starlord's pining, but did like his motivation to save Rocket.  And I didn't love the High Evolutionary.

Now, maybe my one non-watched super (Flash) is better, but I doubt it.

The GotG movies are arguable my favourite in the Marvel cinematic universe but I am still procrastinating on watching the third movie because I don't deal with animal cruelty very well.

56 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

China with great WOM could be leggy. We have seen crazy stuff like 2nd weekend increase before. It needs more shows for sure.

It doesn't need more shows per se. From what I have seen not a lot of people are interested in normal screens but the premium IMAX screens are packed. I think Oppenheimer just needs to be able to keep those IMAX screens. Not sure how IMAX China functions regarding how to allocate their screens though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

absolutely needs it. People already watched it on Imax so in a few months a re release in Imax could be a no news like the Top Gun Maverick re release in december was. With an extra you get the headline. 

Firstly Nolan doesn't ever do unused material. It's just not his style. What you get is his definitive vision. So in that regard you're not going to get alternative takes, extra scenes, etc, because it would compromise the movie. And for separate material...you want to add a documentary to a three hour movie and expect that to do more than a few hundred grand in very limited release? That would be similar to Marvel or LOTR marathons or something. They'll do some business but not significant enough to move the needle.

Either future expansions and re-releases tadd enough (a la Interstellar, 30-40 million) to get past a billion, or it won't. It won't get a sing-along and it doesn't need it. That's what I mean when I say not everything needs a gimmick - you appreciate the movie and watch it or you don't. 

Edited by reddevil19