Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | #FRI - Equalizer $13.1M, Barbie $2.50M, GT $1.56M, Beetle $1.52M, Opp $1.32M, TMNT $1.04M

21 minutes ago, grim22 said:

My reaction when most network TV shows are cancelled is "Wait... that had how many seasons?". Like that Matt Le Blanc show which got cancelled last year "Man with a Plan", it had 4 seasons and I don't think anyone can say they actually watched that show beyond maybe 2 episodes. Same thing with ongoing shows like The Neighborhood, I watched a few episodes of S1 and I'm wondering how they managed to get 5 seasons and counting out of the premise "white family moves to black neighborhood"

My parents like The Neighborhood show. It has a strong timeslot. Our market gets Wheel of Fortune on CBS at 6:30 PM and then it leads into The Neighborhood. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grim22 said:

My reaction when most network TV shows are cancelled is "Wait... that had how many seasons?". Like that Matt Le Blanc show which got cancelled last year "Man with a Plan", it had 4 seasons and I don't think anyone can say they actually watched that show beyond maybe 2 episodes. Same thing with ongoing shows like The Neighborhood, I watched a few episodes of S1 and I'm wondering how they managed to get 5 seasons and counting out of the premise "white family moves to black neighborhood"

I think a lot of that is just that the bar is so low for TV live ratings that anything can get renewed, despite even the highest-rated shows premiereing to "instant pull" numbers. And frankly, making a new show to replace another one is a greater and greater risk every single season, even if it is arguably the cheaper option.

Just as an example, Raven's Home, the revival series to Disney Channel's That's So Raven, has produced more seasons and more episodes than its parent show. But it doesn't sound or feel right when you consider that Raven's Home now barely even pulls in 100,000 viewers a new episode and That's So Raven could reliably bring in 4M+ every week back in 2005. Just weird times for live TV, lemme tell ya.

• Like 3

Equalizer doing numbers well within the franchise's history debunks narrative that actors being unable to promote their movies has any effect on box office. People who are interested see Denzel in the trailer then go watch it. Interviews and such don't have any significant effect.

At least for franchise movies, may be different for something like Challengers. 

Edited by Bob Train

4 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

Equalizer doing numbers well within the franchise's history debunks narrative that actors being unable to promote their movies has any effect on box office. People who are interested see Denzel in the trailer then go watch it. Interviews and such don't have any significant effect.

$5 tickets are a big help when you don't have actor promotion...especially for the wheelhouse demo type movie for these tickets - male 13-45.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Train said:

I mean Challengers at least could have utilized the US Open for marketing.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I like how the TV show is Queen Latifah cracking extremely PG jokes and acting all jovial, and the movie series is Denzel impaling guys in the throat with a nail gun for two straight hours.

Yeah, the Queen Latifah show is appointment viewing for my mom but she would find the Equalizer movies way too violent. Denzel and the Queen need to do another movie together, though.

5 hours ago, grim22 said:

The worlds colliding were just relatable enough I guess. Originally it debuted the same night as the show based on that time Harry Styles moved in with normies. Happy Together made it 13 episodes; The Neighborhood has 105 eps in 5 seasons. Bob Hearts Abishola is another "culture clash" sitcom that's racked up several seasons on CBS (though it probably helped to have Mike of Mike & Molly).

34 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Yeah, the Queen Latifah show is appointment viewing for my mom but she would find the Equalizer movies way too violent. Denzel and the Queen need to do another movie together, though.

The worlds colliding were just relatable enough I guess. Originally it debuted the same night as the show based on that time Harry Styles moved in with normies. Happy Together made it 13 episodes; The Neighborhood has 105 eps in 5 seasons. Bob Hearts Abishola is another "culture clash" sitcom that's racked up several seasons on CBS (though it probably helped to have Mike of Mike & Molly).

Neighborhood never hit for my wife and I, but we love Bob & Abishola. As with most comedies, its the supporting cast (same with Ghosts). If your supporting cast can't carry weight its hard to build beyond the beginning. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

I think once a show gets to 4-5 seasons, it's in syndication territory although the bar for number of episodes is lower than it used to be. Rules of Engagement managed to get to 100 episodes because it was used by CBS as a useful stopgap whenever a new sitcom was cancelled due to poor ratings.

It's interesting that Melissa McCartney stuck with Mike and Molly until the very end even though her status as an actress had meant she outgrew the show.  

Edited by Jonwo

5 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

$5 tickets are a big help when you don't have actor promotion...especially for the wheelhouse demo type movie for these tickets - male 13-45.

$5 tickets yesterday to see it

male

Yeap, sounds about right.

Season 2 Drinking GIF by Parks and Recreation

• Like 1