Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | #FRI - Equalizer $13.1M, Barbie $2.50M, GT $1.56M, Beetle $1.52M, Opp $1.32M, TMNT $1.04M

1 hour ago, Ororo Munroe said:

I can understand this perspective but at the same time, it's pretty myopic. How many actors under 40 have even half as much charisma, talent or are as compelling to watch as Denzel? Feels like we vastly underestimate his legacy by expecting any of these younger actors to be as good, son or not. Denzel was responsible for JDW being cast in The Piano Lesson btw and yeah we can say "nepotism" but I don't think Denzel would have cast him if he didn't think he would do a good job. 

Yeah most up-and-coming actors won't live up to Denzel's legacy, but most aren't his actual son and don't face constant comparisons (fair or not). JDW can't help who his parents are and is his own person, but some will say, yeah, but most young actors don't get an early in with Spike Lee because of their movie star dad, either. The benefits of nepotism also come with drawbacks.

Denzel's daughter Olivia also acts and has appeared in some of his projects, but hasn't gotten the same hype as her brother. I've wondered if it's external reasons, like Hollywood doesn't think she has "the look" they like to push with women, or if she just can't act or something. Some celebrities will be honest about their kids' limitations--Idris Elba's real life daughter auditioned to play his daughter in Beast but he said the chemistry was off and picked someone else--but then you had Will and Jada pushing their kids into leading roles despite questionable abilities. Denzel seems more self-aware than the Smiths, at least.

39 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Yeah most up-and-coming actors won't live up to Denzel's legacy, but most aren't his actual son and don't face constant comparisons (fair or not). JDW can't help who his parents are and is his own person, but some will say, yeah, but most young actors don't get an early in with Spike Lee because of their movie star dad, either. The benefits of nepotism also come with drawbacks.

Denzel's daughter Olivia also acts and has appeared in some of his projects, but hasn't gotten the same hype as her brother. I've wondered if it's external reasons, like Hollywood doesn't think she has "the look" they like to push with women, or if she just can't act or something. Some celebrities will be honest about their kids' limitations--Idris Elba's real life daughter auditioned to play his daughter in Beast but he said the chemistry was off and picked someone else--but then you had Will and Jada pushing their kids into leading roles despite questionable abilities. Denzel seems more self-aware than the Smiths, at least.

Well yes if we're specifically talking about Black actors. Otherwise JDW fits right in with many white actors who either benefit from nepotism, whiteness and/or having the privilege of working with big name directors who wouldn't think of hiring Black or POC leads.

Olivia is a great example of how nepotism can only take you so far, even if you're talented. I've seen Denzel praise her and she's gotten good reviews for her performance in I'm A Virgo but she was never going to be a star because she doesn't fit Hollywood's beauty standards. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe
  • Knock It Off 1

Just saw Equalizer 3. Def the best of the trilogy. Denzel is truly one of the greats. JDW does not hold a candle to his father but then not many do which is what makes the hate directed his way so offputting IMO.  Also seeing Denzel and Dakota together again almost 20 years later was great. 

Unless Barbie starts to drop better than it did before the last two inflated weekends then 660 is definitely more on the optimistic side. I would think 650 with IMAX is more likely, maybe it could get to 660 if IMAX does even better. But this will be late September. Not sure the numbers can really go that big. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

7 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So this is still coming to digital on Sep 12 as planned after all?

yes (if they don't change idea again 🤣).

But warner really needs money cause days ago a digital copy was supposed to cost 24.99 dollars, now the price indicated is 29.99 dollars 😅

Edited by vale9001

20 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

but then you had Will and Jada pushing their kids into leading roles despite questionable abilities. Denzel seems more self-aware than the Smiths, at least.

I haven't seen a single project with Willow but she's been nominated for 2 Daytime Emmys. As for Jaden, The Karate Kid was the biggest global non-Will Smith movie starring a black lead for the longest time. He was also very well received in The Pursuit of Happyness. So let's not trivialize everything the Smiths have accomplished or act like they forced their children down GA's throats.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So this is still coming to digital on Sep 12 as planned after all?

It was rumored to come on 9/5 a while back, looks like they delayed the digital release by one week to 9/12.

8 weeks until digital is pretty reasonable for a hit movie, JWD was 5 weeks and Mario was 6 weeks (delayed from 5). 

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

I haven't seen a single project with Willow but she's been nominated for 2 Daytime Emmys. As for Jaden, The Karate Kid was the biggest global non-Will Smith movie starring a black lead for the longest time. He was also very well received in The Pursuit of Happyness. So let's not trivialize everything the Smiths have accomplished or act like they forced their children down GA's throats.

Willow's Daytime Emmy nominations are for Red Table Talk, not for acting. A person can be a good talk show host but terrible at acting (Kelly Clarkson).

When Willow was much younger Will planned for the Annie remake to be a star vehicle for Willow. She aged out of the role and since then her filmography only has a few voiceover roles. Willow seems much more interested in music but on her own terms.

Jaden had some talent at acting as a kid (very natural in The Pursuit of Happyness and Karate Kid was a hit) but After Earth was beyond his abilities and that was the end of his "leading man" push.

Will and Jada came up because I was replying to a post that said Denzel would never help JDW get cast in The Piano Lesson if he didn't think his son had the talent for it. Maybe he'll get nominated for the movie, maybe not: we'll see.

Anyway, I was pointing out how the Smiths are big stars who pushed their kids into the limelight at young ages, and into a field (acting) they ultimately lacked much interest in pursuing...and where Jaden won Worst Actor at the Razzies as a teenager. The Razzies are terrible, but a lot of A-listers shield their kids from limelight and bar them from professional gigs until they're adults to protect them the scrutiny.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl