Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | TAYLOR SWIFT $31M Estimate, KOTFM $23M

5 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

An Osage will never get to make a big budget film about this story with or without Scorsese, and anyone believing otherwise is kidding themselves.

And yet, on Social Media™, this is one of the arguments being made.

Also, I said it a couple days ago here, and I'll say it again. I don't think this film will get Apple TV+ a ton of new subscribers. What I didn't say at the time but I will now is, Argyle will end up performing the best of their three theatrical releases, and the nail will be even deeper in the coffin for adult dramas in theaters.

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

We are on a box office website. The box office performance compared to any movie’s budget is naturally a major element of the conversation here. 

Well obviously, i just said it’s useless since it’s an Apple production rather than a traditional studio.

I’m also discussing it afterall, just because it’s useless doesn’t mean it can’t be discussed. That’s not what i said.

5 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

It’d be much better if Scorsese empowered a Osage director to tell that story, even if it was via a documentary, but it is what it is.

People claim Scorsese wants to save Cinema, but I never hear about him producing films, much less producing mainstream films which might actually, you know, save Cinema.

Question is, will Scorsese bring a member of the Osage Nation up on stage with him at any awards ceremonies?

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

And yet, on Social Media™, this is one of the arguments being made.

Also, I said it a couple days ago here, and I'll say it again. I don't think this film will get Apple TV+ a ton of new subscribers. What I didn't say at the time but I will now is, Argyle will end up performing the best of their three theatrical releases, and the nail will be even deeper in the coffin for adult dramas in theaters.

There will always be Nolan. New auteurs will come up. But we just can’t live in 2023 making believe it’s still the 80s. The streaming platforms exist and they aren’t alone, the movie theater experience competition is fierce and it’s everywhere. 

As long as film theaters are a popular experience, they won’t be prestige, and that’s a good thing. I don’t care if I have to thank Feige, Nolan, Gerwig, Myamoto or Swift.

2 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

People claim Scorsese wants to save Cinema, but I never hear about him producing films, much less producing mainstream films which might actually, you know, save Cinema.

Question is, will Scorsese bring a member of the Osage Nation up on stage with him at any awards ceremonies?

Honestly Tom Cruise makes actual effort in that regard lol.

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

People claim Scorsese wants to save Cinema, but I never hear about him producing films

this is straight up false

much less producing mainstream films which might actually, you know, save Cinema.

you can just say he doesn't produce films you like

:WHATanabe:

Y'all, it's very clear there is much more interest in simply shitting on scorsese for saying bad things about your franchises than actual good-faith argument. Just move on, seriously.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eeetooki said:

Honestly Tom Cruise makes actual effort in that regard lol.

By starring in the same action movie with diminishing results? Call me when he takes a risk like DiCaprio did with KOTFM. That's what i call effort

3 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

There is a romanticized version of what the Osage endured already made. I feel like the Osage should not just be angry, like the tweet that @ThomasNicole posted said. They should be incredibly outspoken about what Scorsese got it wrong. It takes a lot of courage to literally be at the premiere of the film you worked on and criticize it so openly, I’ve been thinking about this interview since I watched this morning. Scorsese - or us - doesn’t need the validation or the endorsement of the Osage tribes, and I’m not sure how it would help anyone but Scorsese to have Osage people next to him at eventual awards. They should say what they think, while been respectful to Scorsese and bringing light to the plight of their people, at same time openly talk about what he got it right and wrong.

9 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

You've never heard of his World Cinema Foundation? 

57 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

About that…

I don’t know, I will watch KOTFM eventually at home, but just like I wouldn’t call "film activism" to watch Barbie, The Marvels and etc, there is a certain pompous way that people talk about Scorsese and how important this film is that definitely rubs me the wrong way. This is the best review that this film could ever have, and while I’m sure that Scorsese poured his soul into this, it’s very much still told through the lens of an white man. A legend, one of the best of all time, but I do think it’s okay for people have conflicted feelings about the film, even when you look through a progressive lens:

It is funny to see armond white wrote about how woke the flower moon is while the so called “progressive” lens to argue that Scorsese isn’t right person to do a movie about Osage simply because of his ethnicity. 

if that is the Jane campion shouldn’t directed the power of the dog since she isn’t American and homosexual either. 

Whatever cote said I just have to disagree. I don’t think Scorsese being a white has made the movie any less effective or subject to sanitisation. The movie isn’t even doing white saviour plot. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

There is a romanticized version of what the Osage endured already made. I feel like the Osage should not just be angry, like the tweet that @ThomasNicole posted said. They should be incredibly outspoken about what Scorsese got it wrong. It takes a lot of courage to literally be at the premiere of the film you worked on and criticize it so openly, I’ve been thinking about this interview since I watched this morning. Scorsese - or us - doesn’t need the validation or the endorsement of the Osage tribes, and I’m not sure how it would help anyone but Scorsese to have Osage people next to him at eventual awards. They should say what they think, while been respectful to Scorsese and bringing light to the plight of their people, at same time openly talk about what he got it right and wrong.

What did he get wrong? Also, Christopher Cote wasn't telling people not to see the movie. People are actually misinterpreting what he was even saying. Yes, it's not by Osage for Osage. It's by a white director and it speaks more to the general public. That doesn't mean he did anything "wrong" or disrespectful. 

I think people are doing this man a disservice by acting like he attended a premiere on a film he worked hard on and then trashed it. That's not what happened. And if it was, he shouldn't have even gone to the premiere (but he didn't do that). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the takes here are just weird lol 

Scorsese is a very prolific producer, just because you’re not interested in watch them doesn’t mean they don’t exist 

And cinema doesn’t end on mainstream, actually most of innovations are made by other type of movies before being applied to mainstream. 

Some of the ideas here about cinema shows a lack of interest that is kinda shocking for people interested in discuss it. 

Still, Scorsese was a producer on Joker before Todd get it. And apparently, Scorsese have producing credits on Joker 2, maybe this way you’ll be happy.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

By starring in the same action movie with diminishing results? Call me when he takes a risk like DiCaprio did with KOTFM. That's what i call effort

A film DiCaprio couldn't even promote. Shocked he didn't try to subtly promote the movie by just being more visible. If anything, the opposite. 

Wake me up when he ever releases a film that opens to single digits. Then we will talk. Especially when he can promote the movie. 

I don't think any other actor would open this movie to anything close to what it got, and he's such a big star internationally the lack of international publicity tour I think is going to hurt it. Such a "what if" scenario. 

5 minutes ago, Curiouser and Curiouser said:

What did he get wrong? Also, Christopher Cote wasn't telling people not to see the movie. People are actually misinterpreting what he was even saying. Yes, it's not by Osage for Osage. It's by a white director and it speaks more to the general public. That doesn't mean he did anything "wrong" or disrespectful. 

I think people are doing this man a disservice by acting like he attended a premiere on a film he worked hard on and then trashed it. That's not what happened. And if it was, he shouldn't have even gone to the premiere (but he didn't do that). 

Yep. People keep making things up about what that dude said. It's very annoying and needs to stop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Some of the takes here are just weird lol 

Scorsese is a very prolific producer, just because you’re not interested in watch them doesn’t mean they don’t exist 

And cinema doesn’t end on mainstream, actually most of innovations are made by other type of movies before being applied to mainstream. 

Some of the ideas here about cinema shows a lack of interest that is kinda shocking for people interested in discuss it. 

Still, Scorsese was a producer on Joker before Todd get it. And apparently, Scorsese have producing credits on Joker 2, maybe this way you’ll be happy.

Scorsese was going to direct it with Leo in the lead role at one point.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone follows deveryjacobs on Instagram. She was one of the female leads in the show Reservation Dogs.

She just posted a seven Story indictment of Killers of the Flower Moon. I don't think this movie is going to get much, if any, love from Indigenous Americans outside of the Osage Nation.

• Like 1