XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

8 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Marvel may want to wait til after secret wars but they may be getting pressure from higher ups to do it sooner.

If theyre doing 5 and 6 back to back it might still come out after. Like FFH after Endgame.

I wanted to say this in the DPW thread but I'm gonna say it here:

A franchise where 6 of the last 7, soon to be 7 of the last 8, movies all opened above 100M is definitely not dead. The top 3 post-pandemic OWs all belong to MCU movies. 

Edited by HummingLemon496

14 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

A franchise where 6 of the last 7, soon to be 7 of the last 8, movies all opened above 100M is definitely not dead. The top 3 post-pandemic OWs all belong to MCU movies. 

I think the real test/tell will be Cap 4. As it shouldn't have most of the baggage that surrounded The Marvels or have any real connection to fallout from AQM.  Or the multiverse storyline in general.

The only real big strike against it, and it's not an insignificant one, is the... less than universal praise given to The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  That has the potential to derail things. 

(reshoots I don't care about at all, as that discussion is USUALLY far overblown)

But I do think it's probably wise to remember that before Captain America: Civil War (which might as well have been Avengers 2.5), the Cap films weren't box office juggernauts.  Using the likely conservative ATP adj from the-numbers, Cap 1 opened to something around 88m (65m non-adj) and Cap 2 to 125m (95m non-adj).

Probably too far out to set any sort of range, especially given a lot can happen between now and release, but I do think noting how Cap 1 did way back when might be useful in at least framing the discussion, if not expectations.

• Like 2

Imo, after Deadpool & Wolverine I don’t see a sure fire hit until the next Avengers movie. I see both Cap 4 and Thunderbolts under 500m WW (imo Thunderbolts will be a mega-bomb) and Fantastic 4 is a wildcard, but historically these characters never broke out on the big screen. Maybe 600m if the WOM is out of this world. But really, I expect a repeat of 2023 for Marvel, but without the saving grace that was GOTG3.

Edited by James

If a new Spider-Man with Tom Holland isn’t coming next year, then Marvel’s entire 2025 slate will be one big question mark. None of their movies currently on the schedule for next year are particularly “safe”. 

On 4/23/2024 at 3:11 PM, Porthos said:

I think the real test/tell will be Cap 4. As it shouldn't have most of the baggage that surrounded The Marvels or have any real connection to fallout from AQM.  Or the multiverse storyline in general.

The only real big strike against it, and it's not an insignificant one, is the... less than universal praise given to The Falcon and the Winter Soldier.  That has the potential to derail things. 

(reshoots I don't care about at all, as that discussion is USUALLY far overblown)

But I do think it's probably wise to remember that before Captain America: Civil War (which might as well have been Avengers 2.5), the Cap films weren't box office juggernauts.  Using the likely conservative ATP adj from the-numbers, Cap 1 opened to something around 88m (65m non-adj) and Cap 2 to 125m (95m non-adj).

Probably too far out to set any sort of range, especially given a lot can happen between now and release, but I do think noting how Cap 1 did way back when might be useful in at least framing the discussion, if not expectations.

If Trump gets back in , then a movie which is going to be about how people deal with a Black Captain America. could be political dynamite.

And aside from that, the stories of extensive reshoots and on set rewrites are not good news.

On 4/23/2024 at 12:36 AM, HummingLemon496 said:

Say8ing the MCU is dead is silly, but I really, really, doubt the MCU will ever be as dominant as it was pre 2020.

And last year, except fo GOG every one of the Marvel films was a box office disppointment. 

Sorry, fanboy, sbut that is the way it is.

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

And aside from that, the stories of extensive reshoots and on set rewrites are not good news.

They're not bad news, either. 

MARVEL NEEDS TO COURSE CORRECT AND CHANGE THINGS UP AFTER THE PROBLEMS OF 2023!!!

*Marvel engages in precisely that*

MARVEL CHANGING THINGS UP MID-PRODUCTION IS NOT A GREAT SIGN EVERYONE!!!

giphy.gif

(felt a little snarky — don't mind me)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I have to disagree about that.

It's only "bad news" in as much as "things didn't go exactly as planned so we have to change direction" is a sign that things needed to be changed.

But, as I intimated in my admittedly snarky post, there's a pretty strong reason sitting right out in the open for a possible change of direction.  Beyond that, there's a *VERY* long list of films that have had production chaos that have turned out to be fantastic.  

Admittedly, there's also a long list of films that turned out to be trainwrecks. And then there's probably the majority which wind up somewhere on the "eh" spectrum.

But my basic point is that folks way overreact to stories about reshoots, and double especially about length of reshoots.  That reshoots happen, even fairly big ones, doesn't say nearly as much as they think it does.

• Like 1

According to u/AgentCooper315 on Reddit, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 made $98M profit for Disney:

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not hating on the film or anything but below $100M profit for a $250M film is not that good (I mean that's literally less profit than Ant-Man 1. . .).. But every other comic book movie in 2023 bombed, so I guess it's decent given the context. It's just a modest success like Thor 4 ($103M profit), not a huge success like Wakanda Forever ($259M profit) or Doctor Strange 2 ($284M profit).

Edited by HummingLemon496

17 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Do you guys think Spider-Man.4 with Holland is a $500M DOM potential film?

It says something that  500 Million is conisered to be a very good result for a Spidey staring fiilm. Pre 2020,  500 Million for a SPiderman feature would be considered under performing.

19 minutes ago, dudalb said:

It says something that  500 Million is conisered to be a very good result for a Spidey staring fiilm. Pre 2020,  500 Million for a SPiderman feature would be considered under performing.

500 mill DOM for Spider-Man would be disappointing pre-2020? Pre-2020, not a single Spider-Man film made more than 404 mill DOM. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gokai Red said:

500 mill DOM for Spider-Man would be disappointing pre-2020? Pre-2020, not a single Spider-Man film made more than 404 mill DOM. 

He thinks it’s referring to worldwide numbers. 

4 hours ago, dudalb said:

...every single Spider-Man film except No Way Home has done under 500 mil DOM.