XXR vs XXR

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

On 4/26/2024 at 1:27 AM, HummingLemon496 said:

According to u/AgentCooper315 on Reddit, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 made $98M profit for Disney:

I'm gonna be honest, I'm not hating on the film or anything but below $100M profit for a $250M film is not that good (I mean that's literally less profit than Ant-Man 1. . .).. But every other comic book movie in 2023 bombed, so I guess it's decent given the context. It's just a modest success like Thor 4 ($103M profit), not a huge success like Wakanda Forever ($259M profit) or Doctor Strange 2 ($284M profit).

It makes sense when you analyze the numbers. Just looking at WF,

1) Guardians was $50M expensive, and therefore also had a slightly more expensive marketing campaign 

2) while they had around the same box office, Guardians leaned international, while WF leaned Domestic. And the studio domestic share is always bigger than international.

3) the residual and participations were more generous on Guardians. James Gunn and his cast made way more money than Googler  and his

There’s a pattern here. The more seasoned the franchise the bigger the box office needs to be, because more seasons = more expensive talents

Random though, but it’s kinda amusing to think that five years ago, the MCU was on top of the world, while the Fox X-Men series was completely washed up and on its deathbed, and now in 2024, Marvel is banking on a movie that focuses heavily on the Fox Marvel projects to rejuvenate the MCU. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 7:11 PM, WittyUsername said:

Random though, but it’s kinda amusing to think that five years ago, the MCU was on top of the world, while the Fox X-Men series was completely washed up and on its deathbed, and now in 2024, Marvel is banking on a movie that focuses heavily on the Fox Marvel projects to rejuvenate the MCU. 

...the Deadpool and Wolverine movies were both well received except for Origins

On 4/27/2024 at 4:11 PM, WittyUsername said:

A lot happened in the last five years.

The X men was a very sucessful franchise, problem was that the last few films sucked. I still lsay it is a shame they did  not end the seires with 'Logan".

I was surfing IMDb and realized that of 190K votes, She-Hulk has 57k that is 1 star rating. That is an insane level of review bombing. Don´t get me wrong I was far from the biggest fan of the show but it wasn´t THAT bad. Ms.Marvel also has been super reviewbobmed aswell. 

8 hours ago, dudalb said:

I meant world wide.

Every Spider-Man movie has done over 500m WW with the exception of Into the Spider Verse

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, thajdikt said:

I was surfing IMDb and realized that of 190K votes, She-Hulk has 57k that is 1 star rating. That is an insane level of review bombing. Don´t get me wrong I was far from the biggest fan of the show but it wasn´t THAT bad. Ms.Marvel also has been super reviewbobmed aswell. 

That bad, sure (almost nothing is) but the show really does work as part of the evidence of Marvel's post-pandemic mismanagement and that's still part of what's being reflected. 

There really is a core "what is she-hulk" problem with the show and the show also pretty clearly had messiness behind the scenes. The show was pitched as a "half-hour legal comedy" but that aspect of the pilot is derailed by MCU execs shoving some big, CGI action stuff from episode 6 which has a side effect of really derailing the intended build up of Titania(?) as reoccurring character. It also really looks from the outside like the episode count was cut from 10 to 9 episodes due to the significant cost overruns. I think it ended up more in a place like the marvels (some good parts but with the cracks showing) than morbius (crap) but there's real problems with the show's structure. If it had a ~20 episode order instead of 9, you'd probably have seen the second half of the season more coherently come into place in regards to what it is and isn't interested in. 

"Young female professional in workplace/dating", "powerless/damage control," "SheHulk breaks the fourth wall" and "in a show called She-Hulk I want to see She-Hulk" [Fiege quote] are all really working against each other to some degree. Obviously culture war and/or crass gender wars stuff hurt the online clicker polls but I think there's also some "this isn't the show I was expecting" stuff that can lead to tanked ratings. The CGI just also fundamentally doesn't really work even if that still means its significantly better than a "normal" network tv show like CBS's Supergirl Season 1. Of course, gendered impacts go beyond crassest cultural politics stuff. 

I think it's easy to understand some degree of 1/10 scores in a way that's just not really true of Ms. Marvel (it pretty clearly conveyed it was [non-pejoratively] basically a high budget CW show).  The actual viewership doesn't match 50% of audience hating the show but 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

Surely Disney isn’t still about to spend 350 million to make Young Avengers with 8 30 year olds pretending to be teenagers with powers and callsigns of characters audiences actually liked 20 years ago?

She-Hulk had a trailer at upfronts in 2022, and 2023 covered the live action shows, so a public Agatha trailer next week seems very plausible...so they have in the bank

Agatha (almost definitely will be there)

Daredevil Born Again (if Echo in 2023s any indication maybe a date, possibly for this year)

The animated slate is a question mark though...What If wasn't there last year, but 97s success and Eyes of Wakanda having Coogler may make their 2024 animation slate more of a focus.

Ironheart isnt till next year so it's probably not gonna be there but Wonder Mans kind of unclear, but id guess the same for it too.

7 hours ago, John Marston said:

Surely Disney isn’t still about to spend 350 million to make Young Avengers with 8 30 year olds pretending to be teenagers with powers and callsigns of characters audiences actually liked 20 years ago?

Oh ,I think we will get the Young Avengers, but not in their own movie.