XXR & Friends

The Marvel / MCU Thread || From Blade to Secret Wars, All Things Marvel!

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Yes,but that's because they didn't start on Infinity War till after Civil War. And weren't people just complaining they weren't sitting up Kang enough? Which is it?

They were hired before Civil War started filming however. But they probably could have squeezed in a Shang Chi sequel for 2024 prior to Cretton moving on to filming Kang Dynasty. Maybe Cretton wanted a break, but also I'm sure scheduling was as much of a reason, from the Marvel side. But yes, hiring another director isn't some crazy thing at this point either.

As for Kang, I haven't seen him in any of the things he's shown up in so I have no comments lol, I'm not a die hard, just commenting on what I think is an issue for the recent Marvel phases, general lack of follow up.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Why? Cretton clearly worked out, Marvel clearly likes him. There's no reason to rush a sequel just for the sake of it.

A sequel coming out 3 years later is rushing? Winter Soldier was a rushed sequel? So we shouldn't see any solo sequels to any of these new "beloved" heroes until how long? 5 years? 6 years? 7 years? So no Avengers movies until 2026 and no sequels before that is a good plan?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

A sequel coming out 3 years later is rushing? Winter Soldier was a rushed sequel? So we shouldn't see any solo sequels to any of these new "beloved" heroes until how long? 5 years? 6 years? 7 years? So no Avengers movies until 2026 and no sequels before that is a good plan?

Shang-Chi has a project scheduled to release next year. And yes, sometimes not every movie can get a sequel at the same time, this isn't new for the MCU in the least.

4 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Shang-Chi has a project scheduled to release next year. And yes, sometimes not every movie can get a sequel at the same time, this isn't new for the MCU in the least.

Where does it say that? And Zombies doesn’t really count if no one watches it.

16 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Who is asking for everyone to get a sequel at the same time? Eternals isn't getting a sequel because most people didn't like it so that won't fill up the schedule. There is room for one Shang-Chi sequel. A Disney Plus appearance counts for nothing, if it did The Marvels would be tracking to open with 100M. 

• Like 1

Shang-Chi absolutely should have already shown up in other movies and have a date for the sequel set in stone, preferably before the 4-year mark so audience members don’t “forget” about it. Surely Captain Marvels is showing that waiting too long definitely kills hype, right? Stop waiting.

That movie was hype, where’s the sequel?? I’m a big fan of the MCU and even I don’t know when he’s supposed to show up again 

• Like 5

I really don't see how people are shocked and outrage Shang-Chi doesn't have a sequel immediately (even though he has multiple follow-up appearances set) when there is absolutely none of it for Deadpool, where the distance between 2 and 3 is going to be at least 6 full years

Edited by SpiderByte

Disney lost the script on their universe when they thought the insanity of Infinity War was what audiences wanted - more, more, more characters and content - vs realizing that team 6 of Endgame is why that whole trilogy came together and worked...

It's not a surprise that teams of character in supers comics tend to be 4-7 at one time...and the teams that "get bigger" never have all the characters on the team at once, or staying together.  I remember Bendis trying to write Legion of Superheroes with all the heroes on that team at once, and while I love his work, I couldn't follow it - it was a mess.

Right now, Marvel's universe is a mess of characters.  There are too many, and too many we never see for LONG stretches of time...animated what ifs don't count b/c by definition, most fans don't watch both mediums the same way - there's animated continuity and live action continuity.

I said before Eternals ever opened that the movie was a mess at the concept stage when someone greenlit introducing 11 new characters in one movie.  That was when I thought the MCU lost the plot, b/c they didn't understand that splitting focus that much means the audience focuses on no one, and if they focus on no one, they care about no one, and eventually stop caring about the whole universe.

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

Disney lost the script on their universe when they thought the insanity of Infinity War was what audiences wanted - more, more, more characters and content - vs realizing that team 6 of Endgame is why that whole trilogy came together and worked...

I mean, infinity war is my favorite MCU film while I didn't like endgame at all, so count me in on that one

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

I really don't see how people are shocked and outrage Shang-Chi doesn't have a sequel immediately (even though he has multiple follow-up appearances set) when there is absolutely none of it for Deadpool, where the distance between 2 and 3 is going to be at least 6 full years

What are you guys talking about? Shang Chi escaped to Barbieland and became a Ken, and spent the rest of his days dancing with Barbies.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

That movie was hype, where’s the sequel?? I’m a big fan of the MCU and even I don’t know when he’s supposed to show up again 

Especially when the ending is a cliffhanger has a character who has now had two roles in MCU without even a hint of Shang Chi. Feels like Marvel is committing to characters without solid plans for sequels. What used to feel like an inter connected universe now feels much more forced imo - the worst lack of planning is the DS2 credit scene which immediately undermines what is supposed to be the cliffhanger ending.

10 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

DP2 followed two years after DP. Your comparing apples to frogs. DP was never part of the planned universe when it was envisioned.

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

I mean, infinity war is my favorite MCU film while I didn't like endgame at all, so count me in on that one

Issue is Infinity Wars for its 30 plus characters all had them working together and facing a villian who was more powerful then all of them. 

The team up made sense. 

12 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Deadpool was in between franchises all these years AND his new film, not only is the third in the franchise, but it has several major hooks - one being the fact that this is bringing DP over to the MCU. There were five and a half years between the first and second Doctor Strange films, but he had two major appearances in two gigantic films in between and he appeared in two more films as well. Still, that did lead to his sequel not following up properly on certain threads set by the first film, but that's a different conversation.

• Thanks 1

Just now, toutvabien said:

Deadpool was in between franchises all these years AND his new film, not only is the third in the franchise, but it has several major hooks - one being the fact that this is bringing DP over to the MCU. There were five and a half years between the first and second Doctor Strange films, but he had two major appearances in two gigantic films in between and he appeared in two more films as well. Still, that did lead to his sequel not following up properly on certain threads set by the first film, but that's a different conversation.

I honestly don’t get how people see the difference. Even with Ant-Man, he had a major role in Endgame.

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

Imagine saying that 3 years is too soon for a sequel when The Marvels is tracking to do 55-65M after a 4.5 year wait. 

And Doctor Strange did 900 mil after 6, Thor 4 dropped less than 100 mil from Ragnarok after 5 (and didn't drop at all domestically). If distance hurt it then logically those should have had worse drops with longer waits, correct?

I just don't think the wait was defining a factor as you claim.