Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

Looking at these early numbers, I can't imagine them selling a new Avengers movie off the back of Captain Marvel. She's supposed to be a replacement for Captain America but nobody likes her as much as Captain America. She was the least interesting thing ever in her own 1.1 billion dollar film. 

• Like 1

Of the superhero stuff in the future, I think only The Batman 2 and whenever Beyond The Spider-Verse comes out are guaranteed hits. They're the only things with people actively invested in and interested in them. I think Deadpool 3 and Superman: Legacy have potential but the jury's still out on those until we get closer (Especially in Superman: Legacy's case). Everything else I very much doubt will make a splash honestly.

29 minutes ago, Maggie said:

I think The Bat 2 will drop pretty big. The freshness of RPatz casting is no more and the first one even before the release had an aura of quality to it brought by the director Matt Reeves. I don't know what they can do in the sequel to bring in a new angle to excite viewers. Plus, it will release a long time after the first one. Idk, to me the first one was respected more than beloved

I'm not sold on the Batman dropping off tbh. The first one was really well received and its formed a bit of a cult following online. Good faith will defintely help OW which in turn will help its overall gross. Not expecting $1B or anything, but $800Ms is not unreasonable 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I'm not sold on the Batman dropping off tbh. The first one was really well received and its formed a bit of a cult following online. Good faith will defintely help OW which in turn will help its overall gross. Not expecting $1B or anything, but $800Ms is not unreasonable 

Yeah this is the thing exactly. The Batman's kept its relevance online. It's still being discussed heavily and it was very well received. 

12 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I'm guessing B+ for The Marvels. It screams B+ to me. If it gets a B then it has no chance of legs and even with a B+ I still think it only gets a 2.4 multi at best. 

Every CBM that bombs this bad on OW pretty much misses 2x, except Blue Beetle. And that did seem to get some tiny semblance of WOM, bolstered by movie day when it had a huge boost. 

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Of the superhero stuff in the future, I think only The Batman 2 and whenever Beyond The Spider-Verse comes out are guaranteed hits. They're the only things with people actively invested in and interested in them. I think Deadpool 3 and Superman: Legacy have potential but the jury's still out on those until we get closer (Especially in Superman: Legacy's case). Everything else I very much doubt will make a splash honestly.

I think Joker 2 is a guaranteed hit.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Yeah this is the thing exactly. The Batman's kept its relevance online. It's still being discussed heavily and it was very well received. 

Where? It was forgotten pretty quickly. It came out, did well enough, but not outstanding, and that's kinda it, it didn't touch Nolan.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 2