Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

On 11/10/2023 at 8:12 AM, Valencia said:

With those postrak scores it looks like MCU is a millennial franchise now, and they are slowly aging out to become the new old people that don’t go to theaters anymore demographic.

Video Game movies are going to be driven by Gen Z, and drive the theaters going forward.

Also probably doesn’t help to set up all your heroes to be replaced by females for the male skewing franchise.

(Kate, Shuri, Love, Iron Heart, Cassie, etc).

And have zero easy identifiable overarching story for the last 4.5 years in your shared universe.

No don’t say that! I am a Millennial and I don’t want to accept my old age of 30 :( 

Though it makes sense, Millennials grew up in the 90’s to early 00’s when superhero cartoons were all the rage! Also explains why Mario was huge (Zelda will be just as huge!)! Also we millennials grew up with video games too (ie MK, Zelda, Mario, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Smash Bros!) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Millennials keep Hollywood as we know it going tbh. When we finally do age out like most gens do, it could be a huge problem. Especially for theaters and big budget movies. 

I am a Gen Xer and it frustrates me as a movie fan  that my age group and people my parents age boomers have just given up going to the movies for the most part. 

I mean, is anyone really surprised that The Marvels is bombing? The movie felt like a nothing-burger right from the get go, the trailers were all uninteresting and at this point, nobody in the GA knows what the hell is even happening in the MCU anymore. Ms Marvel was a show that not many people watched and Captain Marvel herself is not a very popular character. I still stand by my opinion that the 1,1B the original grossed had way more to do with Endgames pre-release hype than the film itself.

Im not the best one to judge Marvel though ofc, since ive stopped consuming ther movies/shows for a while now, but in my opinion, i do get the feeling that the brand has been overextended and overblown for years now. Phase 4 was a failure compared to the Infinity Saga and Endgame still seems to me like the perfect movie where it could have all just ... well, ended.

But thats now how Hollywood works ofc and seemingly, well see a lot more Marvel bombs before they maybe decide to rethink their plans.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Millennials keep Hollywood as we know it going tbh. When we finally do age out like most gens do, it could be a huge problem. Especially for theaters and big budget movies. 

Theaters will adapt. Won't be easy for all, the mom and pops will close and the big chains will consolidate, but theaters will adapt and survive. We saw a taste of it with AMC and the Swift movie. AMC is also experimenting now with live NFL games in theaters. I think you'll see big live sporting events become gradually more common in theaters. E-sports could also tap into that distribution. More concert films of course. And the indie scene, that will always exist.

I think the best descriptor of MI7 isn't "bombed" or "tanked". It's "flatlined". It had a feint pulse for some time before giving out, and had enough people by the bedside giving it comfort. But it had signs of life. The film's quality isn't in dispute (aside from ranking it within the MI series), and many people acknowledge that the film's release date and "part 1" marketing were both mistakes. And at the end of the day it still made $560m.

Whereas the other films it's being compared to were DOA and people avoided them like the plague. The Flash was utter garbage, and Indy was arriving with too much baggage.

Edited by OncomingStorm93

Just now, OncomingStorm93 said:

I think the best descriptor of MI7 isn't "bombed" or "tanked". It's "flatlined". It had a feint pulse for some time before giving out, and had enough people by the bedside giving it comfort. The film's quality isn't in dispute (aside from ranking it within the MI series), and many people acknowledge that the film's release date and "part 1" marketing were both mistakes.

Whereas the other films it's being compared to were DOA and people avoided them like the plague. The Flash was utter garbage, and Indy was arriving with too much baggage.

Hair splitting. It was a massive disappointment. 

14 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I am a Gen Xer and it frustrates me as a movie fan  that my age group and people my parents age boomers have just given up going to the movies for the most part. 

It’s normal for gens to age out of mass movie/music/pop culture etc consumption starting around 30s. Millennials are arguably the first to still be so into all thay at that age lol. I remain unconvinced younger gens aren’t on the precipice of ditching moviegoing altogether. Seems like the big hits among teens are getting fewer and further in between.