Cap

THE UNMARVELOUS WEEKEND THREAD | FEATURING MELTDOWNS, ARMCHAIR ANALYSIS, AND SEXISM

The age of MCU dominance it over.

Questonable if DCU is in any shape to take advantage of it.

Despite some claims I don't see Video Game movies becoming the dominant genre in a way the CBM's were.

We might be entering a period where is no one, overpowerful dominant genre.

• Like 3

Friend of mine who I love to death but who also can get pretty annoying in their love/defence of the MCU said that it’s a pretty huge success because it’s “more successful than Morbius, and that movie was like a cultural phenomenon everyone was talking about it.”

• Heart 1
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2

1 minute ago, DAJK said:

Friend of mine who I love to death but who also can get pretty annoying in their love/defence of the MCU said that it’s a pretty huge success because it’s “more successful than Morbius, and that movie was like a cultural phenomenon everyone was talking about it.”

Yeah, people were ridiculing Morbius's box office performance. That is not the kind of cultrual phemenon you want for your movie.

14 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Time to make Black Adam 2 after all...

The Rock really DID elevate Black Adam. Anyone else in the role would have made less. They just needed a lower budget and release in China and it could have been a modest hit.

EVERY DC film has flopped this year, jury is still out on Aquaman and whether his shirtless scenes can bring in enough women to save the movie.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

kind of. Morbius will probably break even at some point while this will be in the red forever

1 hour ago, HummingLemon496 said:

My sub $100M domestic club is gonna come down to the wire. Even if it barely squeaks past it still won't be a completely unrealistic doomdiction club or whatever.

Because of the Holidays, I see it getting at least a 2.2 multi. So I believe it will hit 100 million.

2 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Comment from u/blownaway4 on Reddit:

Imagine telling someone that 5/8 comic book movies in 2023 would have a lower opening than Black Adam 💀

I always come back to this tweet, it's honestly gonna happen at this point

Edited by judestar619

I'd like to throw some water on these Disney defenders in here saying the company is fine.  It's actually the opposite. The theme parks took a hit this Summer.  Disney+ has been largely unsuccessful.  Most of their theatrical releases are bombing.  The stock has tumbled down the pandemic levels not seen since April of 2020.  They are firing people left and right from ESPN.  They are rumored to be shopping ESPN.  Cable companies aren't paying their wild fees anymore.  

I think they'll find ways to navigate all of their issues but this idea that everything is fine couldn't be further from the truth.  They do have to make changes all over the place. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'd like to throw some water on these Disney defenders in here saying the company is fine.  It's actually the opposite. The theme parks took a hit this Summer. 

There was a summer slump, but it seems overall business had been trending up until then. 

The theme parks segment had more than $24 billion in overall revenue for the first nine months ended July 1. That’s 17% higher than the first nine months of 2022. Theme park admissions alone accounted for nearly $8 billion of 2023′s nine-month total, up 21% from the same period in 2022.

Edited by KP1025

IMAX corp probably breathing very loud sigh of relief that they didn't negotiate or let Disney bully them into giving Marvels a 3 week IMAX exclusive right now.

IMAX corp saw that crap was about to hit the fan and backed off from a deal at the last minute?

21 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

There was a summer slump, but it seems overall business had been trending up until then. 

“Nobody was there”

Some of Disney’s parks have been hit particularly hard: July Fourth was the third-slowest day of the last 12 months at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida, according to Touring Plans.

What's behind the summer slump at Disney World and Universal Orlando | CNN Business

6 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Spider-Verse ($690M) stays in the WW top 6 most likely

Aquaman crosses a billion WW and becoming 3rd biggest movie of the year, shocking the world and WB quickly annouces an Aquaman 3. In my dreams...

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

It made a Marvillion dollars?