Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

I think like every other weekend each of these box office results can be excused away in a vacuum, but then you add it all up and start to realize that people are rejecting crappy/cynical content en masse and the studios don't really seem to have an answer. Yeah I'm not gonna do the CJohn movies are dying thing, but this year is proof positive that people want things that are better and a little different, and the current major budget movies greenlit for 2024 and much of 2025 look to be, on the surface, an absolute nadir of content. What's the path to improvement?

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I think like every other weekend each of these box office results can be excused away in a vacuum, but then you add it all up and start to realize that people are rejecting crappy/cynical content en masse and the studios don't really seem to have an answer. Yeah I'm not gonna do the CJohn movies are dying thing, but this year is proof positive that people want things that are better and a little different, and the current major budget movies greenlit for 2024 and much of 2025 look to be, on the surface, an absolute nadir of content. What's the path to improvement?

More Nolan. More Gerwig. Let creatives run the show, rather than corporate suits.

• Like 7

Just now, DAJK said:

More Nolan. More Gerwig. Let creatives run the show, rather than corporate suits.

I'm optimistic that as streaming services get pricier and we get further from COVID with inflation dropping, we will see something of a comeback of speciality and adult releases. We already saw some bump this year, and with a few more years of investment, we can build some of that adult audience back. But my lord, look at the big movies! People keep saying these numbers are great for prequels and unecessary animated sequels. Next year's entire slate is fucking prequels and shitty sequels! People can smell a whiff of cynical corporate bullshit on even the hits like IO2 and Deadpool, much less the rest of the crap. The big movies are going to need a major rethinking because the audience clearly has sequelitis and tapped out on current IPs.

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

When aren't you doing that though. You used to say people under 25 viewed going to the movies like using a rotary phone.

Just because the audience has shifted younger as a percentage does not mean the raw numbers of young people are the same as in previous generations. I can't say I consider it healthy, but I'll happily admit I was wrong on just how fast young audiences were turning. 

I'm sure this time next year the same "oooooh the eeyores are out!!!" people will do their fake optimistic schtick and say Wicked did "so great for a poorly reviewed part one!!!" Meanwhile, they could just release a single good movie of Wicked and make 300 million dollars, but sure, make excuses for these studios continuing to show their ass. I personally find delusional acceptance of all this as totally okay as way more cynical than even CJohn's posts, tbh. Yeah, theaters ain't gonna shutter tomorrow. You win! I conceded! But most of us would agree the market isn't in an amazing place, and people that follow box office have a right to express how they think it could be done better.

Just because things could be worse doesn't mean that they can't be better.We shouldn't be happy that a burnt steak is better than a shit sandwich.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Just because the audience has shifted younger as a percentage does not mean the raw numbers of young people are the same as in previous generations. I can't say I consider it healthy, but I'll happily admit I was wrong on just how fast young audiences were turning. 

I'm sure this time next year the same "oooooh the eeyores are out!!!" people will do their fake optimistic schtick and say Wicked did "so great for a poorly reviewed part one!!!" Meanwhile, they could just release a single good movie of Wicked and make 300 million dollars, but sure, make excuses for these studios continuing to show their ass. I personally find delusional acceptance of all this as totally okay as way more cynical than even CJohn's posts, tbh. Yeah, theaters ain't gonna shutter tomorrow. You win! I conceded! But most of us would agree the market isn't in an amazing place, and people that follow box office have a right to express how they think it could be done better.

I do not get blindly optimistic acceptance of things, sorry. I'm not gonna be happy that a burnt steak is better than a shit sandwich.

k

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I mean, Barbie has a creative and interesting story. However, the promotion focus on the fun and flashy, which seems a pretty corporative choice.

People tend to forget Mario was a big success. And that movie was pretty corporative IMO.

We've also know creative and original movies could be totally failures.

Honestly, people want a movie that really attracts their attention and interest. It could creative or cynical corporate bullshit, but the concept needs to be interesting for them.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

Trends change with time and Hollywood is always slow on the uptick. The stuff that was big in the 2010s is no longer going to be big now, superheroes YA etc and hollywood's just going to be the last to catch on. The newer stuff not from the 2010s is what's catching on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

You are really going to keep thumping on that aren't you.

Yes. Movies with armies of nostalgic zoomers who will watch them no matter what are always gonna fare better than movies with no target audience/draws of any sort. 

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm optimistic that as streaming services get pricier and we get further from COVID with inflation dropping, we will see something of a comeback of speciality and adult releases. We already saw some bump this year, and with a few more years of investment, we can build some of that adult audience back. But my lord, look at the big movies! People keep saying these numbers are great for prequels and unecessary animated sequels. Next year's entire slate is fucking prequels and shitty sequels! People can smell a whiff of cynical corporate bullshit on even the hits like IO2 and Deadpool, much less the rest of the crap. The big movies are going to need a major rethinking because the audience clearly has sequelitis and tapped out on current IPs.

Cynical corporate bullshit like the whole Barbenheimer marketing phenomenon?

I thought Barbie was exhilarating when I first watched in theatres but a re-watch at home was less than kind. IMO, it was lucky to have such pervasive marketing from the studio as well as the Barbie brand behind it.

• Like 2

Mario is exactly what people wanted from a Mario movie. If they made something with a more intricate plot that didn’t feel true to Mario, it probably would have been a critical hit and a box office drop in the bucket tbh.

Marvels on the other hand is exactly what no one wants from MCU. People do expect compelling stories and meaningful stakes from that franchise, and The Marvels ain’t it. So that’s the difference when we’re talking appealing blockbusters. Do right by your franchise/audience. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Mario is exactly what people wanted from a Mario movie. If they made something with a more intricate plot that didn’t feel true to Mario, it probably would have been a critical hit and a box office drop in the bucket tbh.

Qu6nVBr.png