Eric Loves Rey

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

24 minutes ago, DAJK said:

The YA genre isn’t “dead” just like the superhero genre isn’t “dead.” All that’s happened is audiences stopped showing up for them “no matter what.” Studios kept putting out bad YA movies, and being based on a book isn’t enough to be a blockbuster anymore. Same as how being a comic book movie isn’t enough to be a hit anymore.

If they can adapt a popular book and make a quality movie, audiences will still show up. Same as how they will still show up for a quality CBM (Spiderverse, Guardians 3).

True, but are there any books with Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games potential that have surfaced over the years that haven't already been adapted? Especially when it feels like the book reading market is continuing to shrink like other mediums each year.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, filmlover said:

True, but are there any books with Harry Potter/Twilight/Hunger Games potential that have surfaced over the years that haven't already been adapted? Especially when it feels like the book reading market is continuing to shrink like other mediums each year.

Some, book-tok had made some fantasy authors really popular. But a lot of those books are also in the smut subgenre lol which I doubt would get a big budget adaption. 

Id love to see a Brandon Sanderson adaptation lol.

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The problem is there are no YA franchises big enough that studios are willing to take a chance on these days.

THG and Divergent were Lionsgates, and Twilight was Summit so they were very small budgets. Maze Runner was Fox but they spend very little on those.

Let Disney adapt a YA franchise and we could get 10 overbudgeted Artemis Fowls.

Edited by Mojoguy

23 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

wtf is book-toc?

If I'm not mistaken, this means people recomending books in TikTok.

It seems the YA (with smut) genre is pretty popular between the books recommended in TikTok.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I honestly have no idea why Shadow and Bone got canned by Netflix. Even for Netflix, I thought it was popular enough to avoid the axe for at least a couple more seasons.

YA isn't a "dead genre" per se, but I do think there is something to be said about this kind of YA dystopia, evil government thing feeling pretty laughably dated and "dead" these days. So yeah, this not being a total embarrassment at the box office is quite commendable.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Brandon Sanderson having a big adaptation of two is inevitable, but then again that isn’t YA, so if that was the focus of your question, then I guess it should have been Shadow and Bone, but it became a (good) TV show and then Netflix happened.

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

I honestly have no idea why Shadow and Bone got canned by Netflix. Even for Netflix, I thought it was popular enough to avoid the axe for at least a couple more seasons.

Fucking Netflix.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spidey Freak said:

Strike casualty and not popular enough for them to make it a priority (they want stuff that rivals House of the Dragon, The Last of Us, or even their very own Stranger Things, which is about to end, in terms of immediate pop culture impact). More or less.

1 hour ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

YA isn't a "dead genre" per se, but I do think there is something to be said about this kind of YA dystopia, evil government thing feeling pretty laughably dated and "dead" these days. So yeah, this not being a total embarrassment at the box office is quite commendable.

Yeah, under all the circumstances I honestly think this box office performance seems like the absolute best case scenario. If you had told me a nearly rotten, very long, stuck in 2012, no original cast members, THG prequel in 2023 would only open to 20m, I woulda said “yeah, that tracks.” 

I was sounding the alarm on Marvels 2nd weekend drop for a while. Trolls 3 and Hunger Games will eat up the 39% female audience it had on OW.

While every other Marvel movie in the last 5 years has had at least 2 weeks of PLF + no competition, Marvels loses PLF and faces competition. Combine that with the terrible WOM, and there you have it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bob Train said:

I was sounding the alarm on Marvels 2nd weekend drop for a while. Trolls 3 and Hunger Games will eat up the 39% female audience it had on OW.

While every other Marvel movie in the last 5 years has had at least 2 weeks of PLF + no competition, Marvels loses PLF and faces competition. Combine that with the terrible WOM, and there you have it.

Yeah, the writing for a drop in the 80% range was on the wall with the wed number 

56 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Also, I think THG may end up our best chance for a 100 DOM grosser this month, and it’s not even a sure thing at all. 

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Reupping my “doomsday holiday box office scenario” from last month when I said the November worst case wouldn’t even surprise me. Now keep in mind, these were worst case scenarios, meaning these movies were hated rather than just mid like most of them seem to be.

But yeah, not exactly far off. Also keep in mind, I’m not actually predicting that at all for Wonka next month, just a “worst case” thing. 

On 11/15/2023 at 9:43 PM, MovieMan89 said:

What if Trolls, THG, and Thanksgiving all “split the pie” this weekend with 20 something debuts? Not saying it will happen, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

On 11/15/2023 at 7:25 PM, MovieMan89 said:

I am genuinely curious how this will manage to pull anyone outside of the most diehard THG fans under all the circumstances now. I feel like the tracking suggesting a Ms Marvel opening is way way too high tbh 

On 11/15/2023 at 6:06 PM, MovieMan89 said:

Thanksgiving is high key going to be the most acclaimed movie of holiday season, isn’t it? Lmao.

RIP the hunger games, I’d say next to zero shot at 100 DOM now that it’s rotten. Could see it going as low as 80 total and failing to beat the Marvels. At least Disney may have some kind of a silver lining after all? Although I better not hear anyone use “no cast promo!” as a Marvels excuse now since THG got it. 

It's funny that you're saying THG:TBOSS is only for die hard fans of the franchise, but you used to love the franchise and praised MJ2, which is the worst film in the quadrilogy.

Now you're going after a franchise that you once loved. From what I can see, you only enjoy the franchise when it's doing huge numbers, right?

How much does THG:TBOSS have to do to get you back into the franchise?

Edited by Litio
  • Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Litio said:

It's funny that you're saying THG:TBOSS is only for die hard fans of the franchise, but you used to love the franchise and praised MJ2, which is the worst film in the quadrilogy.

Now you're going after a franchise that you once loved. From what I can see, you only enjoy the franchise when it's doing huge numbers, right?

How much does THG:TBOSS have to do to get you back into the franchise?

I used to love MCU too and was one of the first ones sounding the alarm for the BP/IW/EG epic smashing back when people insisted the franchise had “peaked.” 

I move on with the times. MCU has been going in the quality gutter since after EG, hence I no longer stan it and read the signs that most are doing the same.

This THG felt silly and unnecessary to me all along. Like a cash grab from both the book and the movie. THG is a very contained story that should’ve just been left alone. Critical reception doesn’t have me any rosier on it, but I will say critics were too harsh on MJ (the movies paid for the book’s rep even though the movies were much much better)