Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

9 minutes ago, Blue35 said:

YA fell off because the hunger games books and movies were legitimately good, and then a bunch of mediocre knockoffs came and turned people off of YA.

YA didn't have that big franchise to take over from Hunger Games. Book to movie YA had 3 anchoring franchises from 2000 through 2015

- Harry Potter for fantasy YA wave which also gave us Spiderwick, Eragon, Percy Jackson and others

- Twilight for supernatural romance YA which also gave us Beautiful creatures, Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy etc

- Hunger Games for dystopian YA which gave us Maze Runner, Divergent, Giver etc

Just as Potter was winding down, Twilight showed up, just as Twilight ended Hunger Games showed up. There's just been nothing else which showed up after Hunger Games and the genre has been stuck in dystopian YA since.

• Like 9

Book fads, and Hollywood's fascination with them, have always been of the "it comes and goes" variety. For example, John Grisham adaptations were all the rage in the 90s, but those had dried up completely by the mid-2000s. They milked Nicholas Sparks' novels for all they were worth until the movie grosses were completely dismal. For a brief moment about a decade ago it seemed like John Green might've become the next book-turned-movie sensation after The Fault in Our Stars, but those ambitions were dashed after Paper Towns flopped a year later.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Just as Potter was winding down, Twilight showed up, just as Twilight ended Hunger Games showed up. There's just been nothing else which showed up after Hunger Games and the genre has been stuck in dystopian YA since.

Books adaptations being all the rage leads to comic book adaptation being all the rage leads to video game adaptations being all the rage.

I think the pattern is less reading

1 hour ago, Dreadnought said:

Cynical corporate bullshit like the whole Barbenheimer marketing phenomenon?

I thought Barbie was exhilarating when I first watched in theatres but a re-watch at home was less than kind. IMO, it was lucky to have such pervasive marketing from the studio as well as the Barbie brand behind it.

The funny thing is that it didn't actually have all that much "linear" spending from the studio. It's mostly a desire of other companies to be associated with the brand plus WB leveraging corporate synergies.

Weirdly low CS for THG. Fans are eating it up hard, maybe the GP that isn’t liking it that much. 

Still, it’s doing solid business and can opening with 50M if walkups tomorrow are as good as today. For a 95M budget is pretty good, i’m sorry but it’s a bit ridiculous to doom and gloom about this.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grim22 said:

YA didn't have that big franchise to take over from Hunger Games. Book to movie YA had 3 anchoring franchises from 2000 through 2015

- Harry Potter for fantasy YA wave which also gave us Spiderwick, Eragon, Percy Jackson and others

- Twilight for supernatural romance YA which also gave us Beautiful creatures, Mortal Instruments, Vampire Academy etc

- Hunger Games for dystopian YA which gave us Maze Runner, Divergent, Giver etc

This is all correct. I'd love fantasy to come back tbh. The 2000s was the decade of fantasy, with LOTR and Harry Potter and Pirates all burning up the charts.

• Like 1

YA is essentially self-insert empowerment fantasies. In the age of the superheroes, It was edged out in this regard. For what could be more self empowering and self insert than having super natural powers. Do the youth want to cosplay as Katniss Everdeen or Iron Man/Wonder Woman? 

What's with the recent pattern of films with mid to terrible reviews (<65%) getting audience scores above 90%.

This feels like a very new concept. Are more people just using Rotten Tomatoes? Now, more than ever, there seems to be a disconnect between critics and audiences. Even I'm finding myself listening to critics less and less because it feels like their reviews are out of touch.

EDIT: For example, not a movie, but I checked out the new Scott Pilgrim show due to the rave reviews and... while the idea is novel, I don't really enjoy it. And I don't understand the rave reviews.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

18 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

What's with the recent pattern of films with mid to terrible reviews (<65%) getting audience scores above 90%.

This feels like a very new concept. Are more people just using Rotten Tomatoes? Now, more than ever, there seems to be a disconnect between critics and audiences. Even I'm finding myself listening to critics less and less because it feels like their reviews are out of touch.

EDIT: For example, not a movie, but I checked out the new Scott Pilgrim show due to the rave reviews and... while the idea is novel, I don't really enjoy it. And I don't understand the rave reviews.

It's likely due to the verified Audience Score RT, which means people need to show its ticket to make a review there.

This worked pretty well to prevent review bombing, since that people wouldn't buy a tickey to see a movie they hate in advance.

Instead, people who buy the ticket will likely have a good opinion or interest on the movie or franchise (especially true for early reviews), so the reviews tend to be more positive. Not to mention that many regular people who are dissapointed after seeing the movie won't be so interested in writing a review.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Kon said:

It's likely due to the verified Audience Score RT, which means people need to show its ticket to make a review there.

This worked pretty well to prevent review bombing, since that people wouldn't buy a tickey to see a movie they hate in advance.

Instead, people who buy the ticket and write the review will likely have a good opinion of the movie. After all, many regular people who are dissapointed after seeing the movie won't be so interested in writing a review.

The "all audience" score for Five Nights at Freddy's is higher than the verified score. For the new Hunger Games, the "all audience" score is lower, but still in the 80s.

The discrepancy between critics and audiences can't be attributed simply to the verified audience score. As I stated in my edit, I'm finding my opinion on tv shows and movies differing from the critical consensus at large, way more than pre-pandemic.