Eric the Marxist

Weekend Thread (11/17-19) | Early Deadline #s - Songbirds 5.75-6M Previews, Trolls 2M

1 minute ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

technically i think Bloodshot will hold the weekend drop record for a comic book movie, so that's a win for The Marvels

kinda crazy that studios were releasing movies up till middle of march in 2020

cant believe disney let onward release, would have expected them all to vacate the calendar by mid february

44 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Avatar is not a white savior movie.

Jake help to the natives was his military training not his race.

His character could be white black Asian or a women. 

Avatar was a a smash hit in non white countries.

To be fair, non white countries don't tend to have a lot of issues with white America. They don't look for representation in American movies, since they have representation on their own countries.

The issue is mainly inside USA and Americans conflicts between different races.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

kinda crazy that studios were releasing movies up till middle of march in 2020

cant believe disney let onward release, would have expected them all to vacate the calendar by mid february

I don't think it was until the first week of March that we really knew how bad it was and how much it had already spread. The first big movie to delay was No Time to Die and then the domino's started falling and everything started closing down.

4 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

I don't think it was until the first week of March that we really knew how bad it was and how much it had already spread. The first big movie to delay was No Time to Die and then the domino's started falling and everything started closing down.

as soon as italy began locking down municipalities (third week of February) every studio should have realized what was about to happen 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

34 minutes ago, lab276 said:

It's interesting that you say this considering 1998-2004 was the height of moviegoing since the late 50s.

I should have clarified I was referring only to tentpoles, since I thought that’s what we were discussing. Early 00s were fantastic for mid budget hits. That’s what used to carry box office. 2000 in particular is very barren of typical big budget/tentpoles hits. 

Edited by MovieMan89

35 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

they are?

sure theyre punishing sequels, but is there any evidence of them rewarding original movies? 

barbie and Oppenheimer could very well just end up being a one time meme

"People want originality and are sick of franchises!"

Literally all but two of the top 10 this year are sequels/remakes/nostalgic toy commercials. lmao sure okay.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Somewhere along the way Marvel forgot the massive team up films (Avengers, Civil War) weren't just culminating the most recent story, they just huge chances for a character to steal the show and break out. 

Avengers allowed Hulk to be a scene stealer while Thor and Loki got a boost in popularity. While Cap wasn't the best character, he still got a boost by association. This paid off as Thor 2 and Cap 2 had decent increases. But it also helped the OG team feel closer as Cap and Widow teamed up in Cap 2. 

Age of Ultron didn't have a break out character, but allowed Wanda and Vision to become well known to general audiences and they eventually found their fan bases. 

Civil War was absolutely essential in Black Panther and Spider-Man becoming as huge as they were. But having that built in trust with Cap and Tony starring made sure those two were exposed to audiences who didn't really know who T'Challa was yet and putting faith in another Spider-Man so soon after Garfield's. 

Them waiting for Kang Dynasty is killing the anticipation of a new Avengers team. Kamala should've made her big screen debut in an Avengers film in a scene stealing role. Shang Chi needs major exposure as his debut film was in the middle of COVID. General audiences know nothing about Sam Wilson's Cap. These character absolutely needed an Avengers film with already beloved characters like Spidey, Strange, Hulk, maybe Thor or Bucky on the team to bring exposure to them. Even Cap Marvel would've benefitted from having a significant role instead of a 5 minute cameo. 

Now we're left waiting on an Avengers film that may or may not happen before the phase ending extravaganza with a team that barely knows each other and may lose to set up Secret Wars and every nostalgia cameo they can find. 

Edit: Forgot how Infinity War, Endgame, and No Way Home made Strange as well. 

Edited by GambitPool
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

Literally all but two of the top 10 this year are sequels/remakes/nostalgic toy commercials. lmao sure okay.

Improvement over last year where it was 9 sequels and The Batman...

I really hope that next year, audiences will reward original movies way more and that franchise movies dont get rewarded just for beeing franchise movies!

That said, i pray to all cinema gods that Godzilla vs Kong: The New Empire will be the biggest film of all :heart:

Spoiler

I fail to see any hypocrisy on my part here

1 hour ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

Oppy and Sound of Freedom are the 2 new ones, both for adults.  EDIT TO ADD - and it will be 3 - Taylor will be Top 10 this weekend, I think.

And yet, GA would say Barbie and Mario are new, just like Garfield will be next year, b/c new stories in different mediums (live action vs animated) tend to be seen as brand new.

So, for GA "feel", it's 4 5 out of 10, with all sequels being a 3rd edition or less, except John Wick 4.

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 hour ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

Yep I’ve been saying this for months now. If Hollywood isn’t paying attention, they should be. I hate the idea of them using the strike as a crutch too instead of the data right in front of them that people are sick of these lazy tired sequels. 

Honestly, this year's Top 10 DOM is one of the most balanced we've had in years...

Barbie - comedy

Mario - animated family

Spiderverse - animated supers

GOTG 3 - supers

Oppy - historical drama

Mermaid - live action family

Ant 3 - supers

John Wick 4 - action thriller

Sound of Freedom - crime thriller

Taylor (just noticed she'll be in top 10) - music concert

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trolls may end up the only November hit not because it’s pulling great numbers, simply because it had a quaint budget for a tentpole. That’s not normally the case though. Still doesn’t change the fact that the data is right there for Hollywood that people aren’t showing up in big numbers for these lazy franchise movies. 

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Oppy and Sound of Freedom are the 2 new ones, both for adults.  EDIT TO ADD - and it will be 3 - Taylor will be Top 10 this weekend, I think.

And yet, GA would say Barbie and Mario are new, just like Garfield will be next year, b/c new stories in different mediums (live action vs animated) tend to be seen as brand new.

So, for GA "feel", it's 4 5 out of 10, with all sequels being a 3rd edition or less, except John Wick 4.

So continuing to gorge on ice cream and convincing themselves it's broccoli. I kid somewhat but you know.

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Yep I’ve been saying this for months now. If Hollywood isn’t paying attention, they should be. I hate the idea of them using the strike as a crutch too instead of the data right in front of them that people are sick of these lazy tired sequels. 

I mean...I'm saying they don't want it. The box office numbers show that people just want to see the same rehashed stuff. Original stuff is still largely tanking outside of Oppenheimer and Sound of Freedom, which had big external factors affecting their box office. And like I know people will say "SEE BARBIE AND MARIO ARE POPULAR PEOPLE WANT ORIGINAL STUFF" but like...the only reason they were popular was because they are already established franchises and brands people are attached to. Like nobody would see either of those movies if they were wholly original things not based on toys or games they played when they were 8.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Eric Gray Baird said:

I mean...I'm saying they don't want it. The box office numbers show that people just want to see the same rehashed stuff. Original stuff is still largely tanking outside of Oppenheimer and Sound of Freedom, which had big external factors affecting their box office. And like I know people will say "SEE BARBIE AND MARIO ARE POPULAR PEOPLE WANT ORIGINAL STUFF" but like...the only reason they were popular was because they are already established franchises and brands people are attached to. Like nobody would see either of those movies if they were wholly original things not based on toys or games they played when they were 8.

Tbh still think Pixar is a sell. If a mid entry can do almost 500m, I have no reason to believe if given theatrical release and not used as Plus fodder, Soul, Luca and TR could’ve done the same but that flies into kid stuff.

Edited by YM!