Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

Mediocre Disney Animation has never been a box office powerhouse. Even Chicken Little's numbers, while not a bomb like Atlantis/Treasure Planet/Home on the Range/etc. were during that era, were lackluster compared to the megahits Pixar and DreamWorks were putting out around that time.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mulder said:

For better or for worse (imo for worse) a bunch of people use Rotten Tomatoes before buying movie tickets. That's what they mean by quality. If that tomato's rotten, or honestly too low percentage wise (people know how to read it now honestly) a lot of people will just not go see a movie. We've seen this happen time and time again tracking wise now where a film'll be doing decent with potential for exploding and then the RT score hits and it's over.

However, this doesn't se to apply to the strong brands like Super Mario Bros. Also, Five Nights at Freddy has an OW pretty strong.

That's why I feel The Marvels grossing a so low OW says more about the MCU brand power than the movie quality.

Edited by Kon

43 minutes ago, Kon said:

I've noticed similar indifference towards Aquaman 2. Maybe even worse.

No one knows this thing exists, so i cant see it making big waves. Wonka feels like it should be a hit tho - albeit a leggy one a la TGS instead of something hot outta the gate

4 minutes ago, Kon said:

However, this doesn't se to apply to the strong brands like Super Mario Bros. Also, Five Nights at Freddy has an OW pretty strong.

That's why I feel The Marvels grossing a so low OW says more about the MCU brand power than the movie quality.

Well that's the thing, if a brand is strong enough it can survive RT but obviously the MCU (And other brands over the years or first timers) was damaged enough it can't. That's how it works really.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

By the way,  I'll wait for the official numbers but it looks to me like Hunger Games is doing quite well this month.  I don't think you can compare it to the previous movies. It's a prequel without Katiness/Jennifer Lawrence to a franchise that has been dormant for some time and it's not like the reviews were glowing either...  and yet it's performing pretty well for itself.  

Anyone saying Hunger Games isn't doing well is being overly pessimistic.  

It depends on whether we're judging its USA performance only or the international one too, because there is no denying that it is a pretty huge bomb internationally.

Lately I'm seeing a trend on here where most movies get a pass if they perform well enough (or even just decent by today standards) in North America, regardless of their total WW gross; yet big budgeted hollywood IPs live or die by their global appeal. Or have we come to a point where there is no faith in the OS countries anymore and Hollywood is now producing content exclusively for its domestic audience?

To me this latest Hunger games as a big hollywood franchise entry is not doing well at all, it is simply earning enough money in the USA for Lionsgate to be pleased given their very peculiar release/production strategy, but on a whole it's pretty tragic just as other domestic-heavy but globally flopping 2022-2023 releases were.

43 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I'm so tired of the "box office is dead"  discussions,  Happy Thanksgiving everyone by the way.  Here's my problem with it. 

If 'The Marvels' or 'Wish' were great movies with 85%+ RT from critics and 90% from audiences and an 'A' CS and all that and were still bombing then I would agree this is a horrible month.  

But these movies STINK.  What do you want from people?  People are speaking with their wallets.  

Yeah, hard to complain when most of the slate in this past months has been badly received and it doesn’t look much better in December.

Theaters is quickly becoming an elitist program. People won’t spend their money to watch trash. 

I do think there’s a lot to criticize in how audiences deal with movies these days, but it’s always important to remember we live in a world where we are collectively told how to deal with things. 

Yeah people only watch franchises, but who started focusing only in franchises when it comes to filmmaking and distribution? 

Yeah people are watching most movies at home, but who teach them that only blockbusters are theater worthy? And recently, who teach them that if you wait a bit you can watch it cheaper at home? Add the bunch of bad movies dropping in this equation and we all have the answer for all these bombs when it comes to blockbusters.

The change needs to start in Hollywood, in the head of these dumb executives. Sadly i’m not too hopeful, they’re obviously very interested in just course correct they stupid behavior from “let’s do SH movies only” to “SH movies are dying? Fine let’s do videogames, just put Easter eggs, don’t need to really make great movies”. 

7 hours ago, rehpyc said:

Cinemas will need to back off corporate greed of surged ticket and concession pricing. Hollywood is putting out lackluster product, and cinemas have priced so high that many are no longer willing to take a chance on many films they would have pre-pandemic. I’m not sold on many of next year’s tentpoles not coming in softer than pre-pandemic baselines, such as we’ve seen this year short of select breakouts (Mario, Barbenheimer).

they can probably do something about concession prices, but unless admissions tank I just cant see them dropping prices, best they can probably do is maintain them at the current level for some time 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, hard to complain when most of the slate in this past months has been badly received and it doesn’t look much better in December.

Theaters is quickly becoming an elitist program. People won’t spend their money to watch trash. 

I do think there’s a lot to criticize in how audiences deal with movies these days, but it’s always important to remember we live in a world where we are collectively told how to deal with things. 

Yeah people only watch franchises, but who started focusing only in franchises when it comes to filmmaking and distribution? 

Yeah people are watching most movies at home, but who teach them that only blockbusters are theater worthy? And recently, who teach them that if you wait a bit you can watch it cheaper at home? Add the bunch of bad movies dropping in this equation and we all have the answer for all these bombs when it comes to blockbusters.

The change needs to start in Hollywood, in the head of these dumb executives. Sadly i’m not too hopeful, they’re obviously very interested in just course correct they stupid behavior from “let’s do SH movies only” to “SH movies are dying? Fine let’s do videogames, just put Easter eggs, don’t need to really make great movies”. 

I think we have two problems , the first is the program in this year , why the studios decided to make all the blockbusters at the same time ( May and specially June) with movies which attact the same groupe of person ( In June , it's movies which attract young person and young men specially : Spiderverse, Transformers 6, The Flash, Fast and Furious X , This Month , it's young people and young girls specially : The Marvels ( which attract 65% of Male), Hunger Games , Wish , Trolls 3 ) so with this , general public can't pay for all of this movies so they see which movies are the most positive reception and have also ( for Franchises) past good movies and the second problem happens , now people decided to say which movies are Streaming movies or Theatres movies

June is the perfect exemple , Spiderverse became the big hit of Summer ( after Barbie) , Transformers is correct due to good reception , Fast X is down to the predecessors because of the fatigue , and The Flash is the flop. In November , it's the same , The Marvels and potentially Wish are flopped because of Disney political issues in the movies and polemics and fatigue ( The Flash and Indiana Jones of November )  , Hunger Games will make less than the predecessors but good reception and good legs ( The Transformers of November) and the same for Trolls 3 but with the advantage for Universal to be the King of Animation post Covid ( thank to Minions 2 and PIB 2)

I think for the next year , the objectif for 2024 and 2025 is for the studios to spread their programming and to make more attractive marketing ( we have seen with Barbie one of the best marketing movies ever ) .

However , we have less movies yet for 2024 and problems for programming ( hello Memorial Weekend with Furiosa, Apes and Garfield the same weekend, even i think Furiosa will move)

14 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Would be pretty stupid if they did. Could be a breakout with Pattinson starring and Bong-Joon Ho (who might not be a household name but still a lotta people who will watch his films after Parasite) directing.

I don't know what to think, it's the only film absent from wb spring schedule.

I think there is a general social media trend (forget about the right wing attacks on Disney) that their films are very 'crap or corporate or lame' now.

So i think the disney brand is no longer a box office draw as it was in 2019.

before a disney film promised to be likely a fun big budget spectacle and got like almost automatic buy in from audiences. 

now disney has to really convince people to watch their films in theaters. 

Edited by Torontofan

19 minutes ago, Grand Cine said:

Wish are flopped because of Disney political issues in the movies and polemics and fatigue

Eh, political issues with Wish? Polemical stuff? Haven’t heard anything about it, nor do I think anything of the sort affects it at all, does it?

1 minute ago, Torontofan said:

I think there is a general social media trend (forget about the right wing attacks on Disney) that their films are very 'crap or corporate or lame' now.

I can agree with that being a growing sentiment about Disney lately, especially MCU.

The whole “why should I watch it if it’s just going to be another generic and average version of what they have been putting out for years?” is certainly a thing that seems to be crossing many people’s minds from what I see.

3 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I can agree with that being a growing sentiment about Disney lately, especially MCU.

The whole “why should I watch it if it’s just going to be another generic and average version of what they have been putting out for years?” is certainly a thing that seems to be crossing many people’s minds from what I see.

Disney seemed to run into live action remake fatigue, CBM fatigue and families deciding to wait for animated movies on streaming all at the same time. Not even going to get into the mess that is Star Wars.

14 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

bong joon ho from palme d'or to tax write off. (I'm sure the movie is gonna get punted into the back half of '24 soon)

March always seemed like a weird release date for a follow-up to one of the most well-received Picture winners of the last decade, so a release in the back half of the year makes sense if the movie is good and a potential awards player. Granted WB always has Beetlejuice 2 in September and Joker 2 in October, so maybe November? 

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Mediocre Disney Animation has never been a box office powerhouse. Even Chicken Little's numbers, while not a bomb like Atlantis/Treasure Planet/Home on the Range/etc. were during that era, were lackluster compared to the megahits Pixar and DreamWorks were putting out around that time.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I mentioned this in the the tracking thread a bit ago, but Disney has always seemed more reliant on non-family demos to break out than other animated films. DreamWorks and Illumination films have always been pretty steady whether reviews are good or bad or if they have crossover age appeal, but for Disney it's almost always feast or famine depending on if they're living up to their legacy or not. Wish is at least off to a bigger start than the last two Thanksgiving releases, but with an A- Cinemascore and terrible reviews the legs may be closer to Strange World than Encanto (even with no D+ release on the schedule).

People just didn't buy what Wish was selling here. Maybe if it came out when public sentiment towards the studio was better the corporate celebration angle would've been better received. Unfortunately the tastemakers pretty much doomed its opening if anyone was still on the fence before reviews came in.

Edited by AniNate

25 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Eh, political issues with Wish? Polemical stuff? Haven’t heard anything about it, nor do I think anything of the sort affects it at all, does it?

No Wish , specially but i speak about the problems and polemics with Disney this year , i think Wish is the victim of this accumulations of this