Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

Random question, but does anyone know what happened with Dwayne Johnson's Amazon Christmas movie Red One? 

It filmed a year ago and was slated for release this year. Rock was paid $50M for it, so I can't see it getting canned completely.

There hasn't been a trailer or any press on it.

Likeliest explanation is that it's going back for reshoots if it needed more work, but as a non franchise streaming movie, something would have to be horrific to bother going back and doing reshoots and delaying a whole year. Especially since this year is so devoid of options. Heck, Amazon could have released it this month and have a shot at being the highest gross of November.

4 minutes ago, vafrow said:

Random question, but does anyone know what happened with Dwayne Johnson's Amazon Christmas movie Red One? 

It filmed a year ago and was slated for release this year. Rock was paid $50M for it, so I can't see it getting canned completely.

Likeliest explanation is that it's going back for reshoots if it needed more work, but as a non franchise streaming movie, something would have to be horrific to bother going back and doing reshoots and delaying a whole year. Especially since this year is so devoid of options. Heck, Amazon could have released it this month and have a shot at being the highest gross of November.

My guess is Amazon/MGM wanna give it a theatrical release but didn’t think there was a place for it on the  calendar this winter and are gonna save it for next Christmas, esp since there’s supposed to be a huge marketing campaign with it being tied to Amazon’s holiday promos. 

9 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

My guess is Amazon/MGM wanna give it a theatrical release but didn’t think there was a place for it on the  calendar this winter and are gonna save it for next Christmas, esp since there’s supposed to be a huge marketing campaign with it being tied to Amazon’s holiday promos. 

The more likely option is that Black Adam's underperformance spooked them and they might just dump it on Christmas with light promotion.

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Mickey 17 test screened a week or two ago. Like others have speculated it'll probably get a Cannes premiere and a release in September/October (MAYBE it could be sometime in August since that month is pretty dead save for Alien and Shyamalan's new movie). Hoping Zaslav is letting Bong do his thing and won't mess the film up.

EDIT: NVM on August cause I just rechecked and August is way more packed than I remember.

Iirc Bong have Final Cut for this, his production company is behind the movie. 

WB probably wouldn’t messed up anyway, the reports are that the test screenings was excellent, and likely the reason they’re trying to get a Cannes premiere.

31 minutes ago, vafrow said:

There was a rumor that movie turned out to be ass and Black Adam plus controversies around it damaged The Rock's career, so maybe it has something with that.

Although in all seriousness, Disney+ was inevitable, considering these streaming services basically exist as vessels to replace the dying linear/cable TV format. I know some people don't like hearing this, because "grr streaming bad", but it's the truth. And despite some hiccups, it's still set to be profitable in the next couple years anyways. Way more likely compared to most other streaming services. So no, it's not the worst business idea Disney has ever had, especially when most of the issues hurting Disney's film division really stems from the creative process and modern audiences' inability to watch anything that isn't an NTC (n*stalgic t*y c*mmercial). I sincerely doubt most of these mediocrely-reviewed projects would magically become hits once the evil streaming service goes away. Besides, it's been well-documented that Disney's film division has little to no impact on company stock and performance, so like...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Although in all seriousness, Disney+ was inevitable, considering these streaming services basically exist as vessels to replace the dying linear/cable TV format. I know some people don't like hearing this, because "grr streaming bad", but it's the truth. And despite some hiccups, it's still set to be profitable in the next couple years anyways. Way more likely compared to most other streaming services. So no, it's not the worst business idea Disney has ever had, especially when most of the issues hurting Disney's film division really stems from the creative process and modern audiences' inability to watch anything that isn't an NTC (n*stalgic t*y c*mmercial). I sincerely doubt most of these mediocrely-reviewed projects would magically become hits once the evil streaming service goes away. Besides, it's been well-documented that Disney's film division has little to no impact on company stock and performance, so like...

I think the jury is massively out on whether it’ll generate much of anything.  Unless costs plummet on how much these services cost to run. 

Unless they just don’t spend any money making anything new and hope people still stay subbed and continue paying more and more for it? 

as it stands they are losing money on projects that used to make money, and it’s difficult to see how that is going to change anytime soon.  The audience hasn’t gone anywhere. They’re just like “well if you want to give me the content I used to happily pay big money for for next to nothing then I’ll take it!”  

Totally cheapened the brand - such a dangerous game to play. 

One aspect of Disneys crash is one that may need decades - not years - to recover: The air of magic surrounding the name Disney itself. What i mean by that is that Disney basically since its birth as a company promised viewers of their movies pure, otherwordly escapism into storys that are modern fairy tales based on old traditions and folklore. Its high point was arguably the 1990s era Disney rennaissance. I mean after producing generational hits like Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast and especially The Lion King one after another, Disney built a trusting audience and extremely wide fanbase within the GA that associated Disney movies with greatness, talent and escapism.

But now? For over a decade the name Disney stands for unoriginality, remakes, reboots, deluding/destroying whole brands like Star Wars and now possibly even Marvel and as a whole, it stands for everything wrong with modern movies for many people. Not for all of course, but for many. The trust that Disney has been building up since the 1930s basically is gone now. And the studio would need many MANY great films in a row to rebuilt that trust.

For reference, im not a Disney hater or anything like that. I love tons of Disney movies, but nearly all of them are now older than 10 years. In my opinion, the quality downgrade in Disneys movie portfolio is obvious and audiences have little faith and patience anymore with Disney.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Really, if you want to pin something on Disney's creative misgivings, it's no coincidence things started to falter right around when Alan Horn left the company. He was in charge of Warner Bros.' film studio during its most successful period, then was in charge of Disney Studios during its most successful period. Horn left WB in 2011, when WB began to start going through bad woes, then he left Disney in 2021, which was also around when they went through bad woes, then joined as a consultant at WB again. And wowie zowie, WB just got their highest-grossing film of all time very recently.

Basically, the day Alan Horn dies, Hollywood dies.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Genuine question. 

Is Disney+ the worst business proposal in the history of the company? 

Like many studios, Disney was greedy for streaming.

Then, COVID happened and makes Disney+ to grow a lot, which makes them to lost perspective.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Agreed. This current outcome isn't great. But, an alternative scenario where the continue to distribute their product through Netflix, which gains a monopoly, and starts cutting the value they're offering major studios is not really better.

There's numerous scenarios in between, but everything had risk. Ultimately, it wasn't the decision to launch Disney Plus that was flawed. It was the lack of discipline in avoiding dilution of their theatrical product.

I still say the best option would have been to partner with either Apple or Amazon with their streaming service. Either would have paid a fortune to be Disney's exclusive streaming distributor. But Wall Street would have tagged all the value to the tech side, so they would have taken a hit on share price in the short run, but it would put them in a better situation in the long run.

• Like 1