Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

I think the biggest lesson Disney needs to learn from this year is make better movies.  We can talk in circles about politics,  these movies have not been good.  It's not just one side of the political aisle skipping these.  Their RT scores are mid or awful,  the audience scores are mid or awful,  the WOM is generally poor.   Make better movies and people will come. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheFlatLannister said:

I made no mention of Disney's movies in my previous statements. I'm not sure why you're putting words in my mouth...

My reference was more directed towards the ongoing Disney vs DeSantis war, a situation that has led to a diminished regard for Disney among far right-wing conservatives.

Nobody gives a shit about Ron DeSantis the future fourth place participant in the New Hampshire primary. Sorry for putting words in mouth, but I live in Florida too and thus have a social network consisting of dumb high school reactionaries and Disney adults.  The backlash began with the Beauty and the Beast character and the idea that they were trying to turn kids gay. Ronnie D was trying to ride the wave, not the other way around. He only slightly amplified a resentment I was already seeing big time.  With respect!

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, TheFlatLannister said:

Isn't it at $65M? Adding $35M+ from a rerelease seems very optimistic 

It should be at least 70 when it’s done. I feel like it could add 20-30 with an awards release given it’s an awards frontrunner and what else is out during Oscar season? 

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It should be at least 70 when it’s done. I feel like it could add 20-30 with an awards release given it’s an awards frontrunner and what else is out during Oscar season? 

Oscar bumps aren't a thing anymore and it'll probably be on Apple in January. February at the latest.

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Not trying to troll you, but this did make me chuckle a bit considering what an advocate you’ve been for it. Ridley Scott, 2.5hr runtime dude…. gotta read the clear signs. 

I mean I never thought it was gonna be that good, I just thought that there was alot of audience interest in it, and it's still gonna finish above HOG. The 3m previews prove that audiences were into it, but I can understand now why it isn't getting great legs.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Well I just had to make my bi-weekly cameo appearance to come by and say that Eli Roth has knocked it out of the park with his fantastic slasher horror film, Thanksgiving. It had the DNA of an 80 slasher film but still veered far away enough from it that a modern audience would enjoy it. I saw it today with probably a quarter full theater and 90% of them were kids, meaning probably between the ages of 16 and 20.

Judging by their reaction they loved it, I doubt they got most of the references to other horror movies and the fact that it was a loose remake of the original My Bloody Valentine.

And as someone who has seen $5 horror movies right up to the mainstream ones, there are very few horror films that have made me involuntarily cover my eyes or cringe and this one did it twice to me. There are some truly uncomfortable moments in this film and some of the violence is really hard to watch.

And I honestly had no idea that Patrick Dempsey was in this and when I finally recognized him it shocked the hell out of me.

Sorry to interrupt your Marvel's and hunger Games and the failure of Disney talk but I just felt compelled to tell you how much I enjoyed this horror film.

You've always been the most annoyingly truthful person

But The Hunger Games is doing so well!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I mean I never thought it was gonna be that good, I just thought that there was alot of audience interest in it, and it's still gonna finish above HOG. The 3m previews prove that audiences were into it, but I can understand now why it isn't getting great legs.

I am a broken record, but Ridley belongs in television. 

8 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Also, I regret to report that I thought Napoleon was bad.

I mean, many historians would agree with you, theres a reason over a dozen wars with millions of deaths are literally named after him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

I agree with the prior mentioned sentiment that romance needs to make a comeback in blockbusters. Plenty of people love romance in movies, including guys. Thor 1 for example is mostly saved because the cheesy romance makes it kind of endearing. Without that (and the birth of Hiddlegend), not much would separate it from something like The Marvels. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

I agree with the prior mentioned sentiment that romance needs to make a comeback in blockbusters. Plenty of people love romance in movies, including guys. Thor 1 for example is mostly saved because the cheesy romance makes it kind of endearing. Without that (and the birth of Hiddlegend), not much would separate it from something like The Marvels. 

BoSS wins in that regard. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Tran said:

I think the biggest lesson Disney needs to learn from this year is make better movies.  We can talk in circles about politics,  these movies have not been good.  It's not just one side of the political aisle skipping these.  Their RT scores are mid or awful,  the audience scores are mid or awful,  the WOM is generally poor.   Make better movies and people will come. 

Pretty much correct here. I don't think it's that complicated. We've been here since the 1950s, when the advent of television made the film industry try to make bigger and better stuff to compete.

Hell, Walt Disney Animation has been here... how many times? In 1959 (when SLEEPING BEAUTY nearly bankrupted the studio and caused thousands of layoffs), from 1973 to 1981 (when nobody thought Disney could make a good movie after Walt's death and the brand was so tarnished that a greeting card company was about to buy all the characters, before Eisner/Katzenberg came in), from the late 90s to 2008 (when the Disney renaissance style became so unfashionable, every other new movie lost a hundred million dollars, and WDAS pivoted to garbage CG DreamWorks rip-offs, only to have Iger buy out Lasseter and "save" the brand)... and today.

Brands rise and fall. WDAS is in an undeniable creative rut. I'm really curious how they get out of it, but you look at all these different WDAS eras and the answer always ended up finding a new kind of Disney animated movie that hit the zeitgeist. It's possible the Jennifer Lee era can still do that-- I do think the Pete Docter era of Pixar is slowly, surely figuring it out-- but WISH and LIGHTYEAR were projects conceived during the absolute height of franchise love and backdoor IP in 2018-2019, and they're not going to try anything like that again. Speaking a tiny bit from inside the industry, WDAS knows that the answer isn't just "FROZEN 3/TANGLED 2/etc." It doesn't mean those movies won't happen. But if the last 15 years have taught us anything, it's that IP and streaming won't save anybody (except Netflix... good job guys!). Making good shit that speaks to an audience will. They know this. Everyone here has pointed to the dozen perfectly-timed, probably unrepeatable elements that led to how BARBENHEIMER opened. But they made over 2 bil WW because they were good movies that people liked.

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Seriously, what the fuck happened to the Han/Leia, Aragorn/Arwen, Neo/Trinity, etc type romances in big mainstream movies nowadays? 

The new Star Wars trilogy was sorely missing that, its like those movies were made for a bunch of asexual space weirdos in a galaxy far, far, away. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Seriously, what the fuck happened to the Han/Leia, Aragorn/Arwen, Neo/Trinity, etc type romances in big mainstream movies nowadays? 

The new Star Wars trilogy was sorely missing that, its like those movies were made for a bunch of asexual space weirdos in a galaxy far, far, away. 

There's a sentiment among younger audiences that romantic subplots take up space without advancing the plot in movies. It's a generation brain poisoned by Cinemasins to think that movies and TV shows are pretty much just all plot all the time. That's why "filler episodes" where the plot didn't advance and we just got to know the characters by hanging out with them don't exist on streaming shows anymore. 

Actors don't like romantic subplots either like Jenna Ortega saying she hated that Wednesday had a love interest, and Hollywood thinks that giving action heroes and heroines love interests makes them seem weak which is why no superhero movies even hint at romance anymore.

• Like 6
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

There's a sentiment among younger audiences that romantic subplots take up space without advancing the plot in movies. It's a generation brain poisoned by Cinemasins to think that movies and TV shows are pretty much just all plot all the time. That's why "filler episodes" where the plot didn't advance and we just got to know the characters by hanging out with them don't exist on streaming shows anymore. 

Actors don't like romantic subplots either like Jenna Ortega saying she hated that Wednesday had a love interest, and Hollywood thinks that giving action heroes and heroines love interests makes them seem weak which is why no superhero movies even hint at romance anymore.

I would say the primary culprit for that online discourse and train of thought is tumblr, not Cinemasins. Tumblr constantly complained about any sort of sex scene.

I don't think those polls are accurate though, and I think they're being skewed. There's a reason Hunger Games is doing so well among women under 25. And oggling the main guy and the love story being so central is a reason why imo.

4 hours ago, baumer said:

Well I just had to make my bi-weekly cameo appearance to come by and say that Eli Roth has knocked it out of the park with his fantastic slasher horror film, Thanksgiving. It had the DNA of an 80 slasher film but still veered far away enough from it that a modern audience would enjoy it. I saw it today with probably a quarter full theater and 90% of them were kids, meaning probably between the ages of 16 and 20.

Judging by their reaction they loved it, I doubt they got most of the references to other horror movies and the fact that it was a loose remake of the original My Bloody Valentine.

And as someone who has seen $5 horror movies right up to the mainstream ones, there are very few horror films that have made me involuntarily cover my eyes or cringe and this one did it twice to me. There are some truly uncomfortable moments in this film and some of the violence is really hard to watch.

And I honestly had no idea that Patrick Dempsey was in this and when I finally recognized him it shocked the hell out of me.

Sorry to interrupt your Marvel's and hunger Games and the failure of Disney talk but I just felt compelled to tell you how much I enjoyed this horror film.

Just got out of Thanksgiving, and had a really great time with it. Would definitely recommend seeing it with a crowd. The opening scene is better than anything in Napoleon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jimisawesome said:

Disney is responsible for Toby McGuire and Garfield?

If you think a regular non-MCU live action Spider-Verse film would've done what it did then well...I'd say look at Flash.

• Knock It Off 1