Borobudur

Thanksgiving 5-days Weekend thread | BOSS: 42.2m, Napoleon: 32.75m, Wish: 31.6m, Trolls: 25.6m, Thanksgiving: 10.9m

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Your fucking obsession with all things horror is impressive lol

To be fair the films in the rest of the top 10 couldn’t be less interesting 😂

I kid, but I’m not seeing/haven’t seen any of them. It’s a rough November/December this year. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

To be fair the films in the rest of the top 10 couldn’t be less interesting 😂

I kid, but I’m not seeing/haven’t seen any of them. It’s a rough November/December this year. 

We have Godzilla Minus One though at the beginning of December. The movie to save cinema.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 3

What a joke

Will ‘The Marvels’ and ‘Wish’ Split Moviegoers? Disney Believes There’s Room for Both

The entertainment giant turned two November releases in the same year into hits before the pandemic – can they do it again?

pintu-fulicat-com-1700914295896.jpg

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Maybe i’m in my positive era but i’m pleased overall. 

41M for THG is pretty great after the opening, probably locks 150M for a likely 160-170M final 

25M for Trolls is pretty solid, can try 120M final 

Even 33M for Napoleon i think it’s pretty good. It would probably try 100M if the movie was better received, but let’s see. 

The only true disaster is Wish.

Comparisons to the original franchise's gross withstanding, this was one of the rare blockbusters that was always more popular in the US. THG 2012 made over 400M in domestically and its WW gross was like 660M.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I dont think the problem is that people have issues with female characters that are involved in a romantic (sub)plot.

I think the issue is that people dont like badly written and bland female characters like the ones we see so often in many (wannabe) blockbuster movies.

People don't want robots - strong, emotionless, relationship free ninja superheroes.

If you are perfect, you are uninteresting.  No story will work well with you b/c where will the conflict be?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

People don't want robots - strong, emotionless, relationship free ninja superheroes.

If you are perfect, you are uninteresting.  No story will work well with you b/c where will the conflict be?

People love stories with protagonists/heroes that have flaws. They love characters that have to struggle to reach their goals or dreams, because that is relatable. Most people in real life have to struggle hard as well with many problems and with themselves and seeing a character have no flaws whatsoever isnt just unrelatable, its also extremely boring.

Thats why Captain Marvel is disliked. Because she has no flaws whatsoever and that makes her bland and boring. Thats why Iron Man was and is so beloved. Tony Stark started as an arrogant playboy shithead and grew into a true hero who sacrified his own life and happiness to save the world. Thats what we call a flawed hero, thats what a good character arc is.

And many (not all of course) modern writers seemed to have forgotten this basic part of making a story. Unbeatable/perfect characters are not "strong" - they are just uninteresting.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Wormow said:

Comparisons to the original franchise's gross withstanding, this was one of the rare blockbusters that was always more popular in the US. THG 2012 made over 400M in domestically and its WW gross was like 660M.

That is true but Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2 had this breakdown:
DOMESTIC (42,6%)
$281,723,902
INTERNATIONAL (57,4%)
$379,732,661
WORLDWIDE
$661,456,563

So it is collapsing internationally, relatively speaking, as this HG: BOSS will crumble to about 130 M WW total which is only 30%  MJ p2, compared to domestic's likely end tally of 160 M WW (about 55% of MJ p2)

2 hours ago, Eric Bonaparte said:

Haven't seen it. Wanted to earlier today, but I was so tired and my sleep schedule has been out of whack since I'm working overnights during the holidays. My body can't handle staying up that late and needs extra rest. Hopefully I can see it Sunday the 26th, but I don't know. Want to get to it soon tho!

Working overnights during the holidays??? May the Force be with you, boo. ❤️ Hang in there, I hope you get to rest soon.

Lemme know your thoughts if you do. :)

Also, y'all...my ass woke up at 5 AM for a flight. I'm proud of myself cause I am NOT a morning person.

10 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

...That is not a romance in Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. A true romance is Katniss and Peeta or Finnick and Annie.

I don't think the plot works at all if you want to argue it wasn't 'real'. Not even the tag line 'Its the things we love the most that destroy us'. The rebellion is using the memory of Lucy Gray to psychologically torture Snow and he becomes obsessed with using Katniss and Peeta as dolls to prove what he has convinced himself over 60 years, it was all fake. But it wasn't. That's the tragedy. And its a tragedy that comes from a society traumatised by war. etc etc

One factor people seem to be ignoring in the mild success of this film so far is the Loki/Kylo Ren of it all. Pretty boy, complicated, romantic villain origin story is a win with the girls, who knew?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Pre covid was wild

Random movies were doing 400 500 million overseas without issues.

Domestic releases grossing at least $300M/$400M/$500M outside the US, by year

In 2022, it was down to 9/8/5, and so far this year its only 9/5/4. In fact, for 2023, only 14/12/8 domestic releases have reached those thresholds in total, including domestic gross, with only a few potentials left to add to the numbers

48 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

People love stories with protagonists/heroes that have flaws. They love characters that have to struggle to reach their goals or dreams, because that is relatable. Most people in real life have to struggle hard as well with many problems and with themselves and seeing a character have no flaws whatsoever isnt just unrelatable, its also extremely boring.

Thats why Captain Marvel is disliked. Because she has no flaws whatsoever and that makes her bland and boring. Thats why Iron Man was and is so beloved. Tony Stark started as an arrogant playboy shithead and grew into a true hero who sacrified his own life and happiness to save the world. Thats what we call a flawed hero, thats what a good character arc is.

And many (not all of course) modern writers seemed to have forgotten this basic part of making a story. Unbeatable/perfect characters are not "strong" - they are just uninteresting.

Honestly, I've never liked the "this character is too perfect" criticism because it isn't a so clear term. For example: Steve Rogers has likely a more "perfect" personality than Carol Danvers, but Steve is a lot more charismatic.

The issue is mainly about lack of conflict and struggle, which makes Captain Marvel boring.

Edited by Kon
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Juliet said:

One factor people seem to be ignoring in the mild success of this film so far is the Loki/Kylo Ren of it all. Pretty boy, complicated, romantic villain origin story is a win with the girls, who knew?

We also have Ken this year. That said, Barbie's movie promotion makes Ken pretty popular even before we know he was a villain.

43 minutes ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:
That is true but Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2 had this breakdown:
DOMESTIC (42,6%)
$281,723,902
INTERNATIONAL (57,4%)
$379,732,661
WORLDWIDE
$661,456,563

So it is collapsing internationally, relatively speaking, as this HG: BOSS will crumble to about 130 M WW total which is only 30%  MJ p2, compared to domestic's likely end tally of 160 M WW (about 55% of MJ p2)

It's not doing only 130M overseas, it will be around 100M by tomorrow.

After seeing Napoleon I get the weak online scores and cinemascore but I don't think it will necessarry mean bad legs. I got the sense most of the audience at my screening was getting perplexed with awkward laughs and whispering, but I don't think they hated it.

It is certainly getting some backlash though. Both the marketing and audience preconceptions about the genre made people expect an epic tone and some reverence for his historical importance and the movie is nothing like that. Napoleon is a horny buffoon and there's more focus on him and Josephine than the historical stuff.

I think it was just ok but Joaquin and Kirby were actually brilliant. Maybe the 4 hour cut is actually great, but even the theatrical is still interesting. With almost everything else flopping and Napoleon opening that well, I hope it can develop decent legs despite mid audience scores. Plus if they 're planning KOTFM for Christmas streaming release, that will mean Napoleon would also get a 2 month window at least before it hits streaming.

Edited by Joel M

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Honestly, I've never liked the "this character is too perfect" criticism because it isn't a so clear term. For example: Steve Rogers has likely a more "perfect" personality than Carol Danvers, but Steve is a lot more charismatic.

The issue is mainly about lack of conflict and struggle, which makes Captain Marvel boring.

Captains moral virtues is mocked by other heros and questioned by others...

Iron man and captain fought a civil war over it.

Captain has had to have his views challenged And he has compromised To deal with the changing world.

What i see is these recent heroes are written as perfect and never questioned and the world needs to change to match thier character.

This is boring ...