Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | The Boy and The Heron $12.97M, Godzilla -1.0 $8.59M

Headline grabbing numbers would be great for heron. The Oscar buzz is only building stronger this past week. The only complaint I have is that miyazaki refuse to promote or campaign himself. That would be extremely helpful. 

Godzilla-1’ best VFX bid need to happen too. I can see people are starting to pay attention its Oscar chance, at least in best VFX. 

14 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Id say its very likely at this point, though Godzillas Friday increase will be key for it getting to double digits again. We shoudnt forget that its true Fri-Sun last weekend was 9,3M, so 10M+ would be an increase, which - amazing WOM and whatnot - is not easy for any movie.

Boy and Heron though seems safe for like 12M or so. So yeah, its very possible and id love for it to happen ofc.

Seems unlikely that Godzilla will outgross hunger games

GKIDS' treatment of the platform release numbers is so annoying lol. I don't know if this is better or worse than rolling them into previews, I guess this makes comps a little easier because most movies have EA in their previews at this point. Still don't really understand why they didn't just report them at the time and claim the high per-theater-average.

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

Headline grabbing numbers would be great for heron. The Oscar buzz is only building stronger this past week. The only complaint I have is that miyazaki refuse to promote or campaign himself. That would be extremely helpful. 

Godzilla-1’ best VFX bid need to happen too. I can see people are starting to pay attention its Oscar chance, at least in best VFX. 

Unironically, i think Minus One has a shot as a nominee for Best Foreign Language Film as well.

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

Seems unlikely that Godzilla will outgross hunger games

At the moment, id give Godzilla a higher chance at getting the No 2 spot. Its Thursday number is good enough to make a double-digit 2nd weekend feasible unless it somehow has a bad Friday increase and Hunger Games i think will settle more in the high 9M range.

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Ah ok, i missed that.

Well, theres still Best Picture to hope for.

Reveal hidden contents

well, if it’s any consolation Minus One is up for best foreign language film and best use of visual effects at the Chicago Films Critics Association awards next week.

https://chicagofilmcritics.org

• Like 2

Hoping so hard DOM audiences don’t hate Heron… all it will need is like a 3x multi to be able to be 2nd top grossing anime DOM ever, which would be amazing. I definitely think it will hold up better than the TV stuff, but 3x could still be hard based on the surrealism of the film. 

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

What?!?!? I’ve been assuming Heron was a lock there for the nom and win… why on earth can they only submit one anyways?

Its a rule of the Academy Awards that each country can only submit one movie of their choosing for Best International Film.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

I think it’s a stupid rule just like the song change. If multiple come from the same country, so be it. Does that other movie even have much of a chance to be nominated? Heron would have been a lock, -1 might have been likely now. 

I can understand why they would want to avoid having like 3 films from France and 2 from South Korea for example and leaving out tons of other countries. However, this can be easily fixed: Just like with Best Picture, expand on the numbers of the nominess. Make it not 5, but 10 or 15 movies.

I dont get why they dont change that. There are so many movies released all over the world each year and so many great non-US movies never get known in the US in part because the Best International Film category only has 5 slots.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Hope distributors let both Heron and Godzilla in theaters until January so both can benefit from holidays 

Would be so nice seeing 60-80M for Godzilla and 40M for Heron

would be pretty nice to get 5x or 4x multis yeah...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I can understand why they would want to avoid having like 3 films from France and 2 from South Korea for example and leaving out tons of other countries. However, this can be easily fixed: Just like with Best Picture, expand on the numbers of the nominess. Make it not 5, but 10 or 15 movies.

I dont get why they dont change that. There are so many movies released all over the world each year and so many great non-US movies never get known in the US in part because the Best International Film category only has 5 slots.

Yeah they could do that too. I just don’t think it’s usually gonna shake out that 2 countries occupy the 5 or something. And if it does, good on them for having great films that year. Just like Disney deserved to have the whole song cat on lock for some of those musicals. Not their fault other studios couldn’t step up with the music. 

• Like 1

it is kind of a dated rule from back in the 50s when basically only french and italian films got real traction among critics. but i kinda like it i dunno as a film olympics sort of thing. it's always interesting to see what film a country's selection committee will pick to represent themselves. Interesting that this was the first year ever Japan picked a film from a non-Japanese filmmaker to represent them.

• Like 1