Issac Newton

Weekdays Thread | #THU - Wonka $4.21M &Heron $896K

Wonka's Wednesday coming in above Monday is pretty promising. Should be interesting to see how it holds today; most movies in 2017 increased, but the two big releases that week (Jumanji and Showman) had already opened, so it'll probably decrease just from losing premium screens alone. Would be cool if it can stay above $4M though.

18 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Wonka and HG:BOSS show that you have to take good care of your female audience. 

wonka got A- cinemascore but A+ for female below 18. And we are seeing the great hold because there is a demo are so passionately in love with the movie. 

Let's see if females will show up for Anyone But You. It's been a long time since the last Rom Com came out.

2 hours ago, Juliet said:

Its a good hold for HG:BOSS considering that they brought it out on digital on Tuesday

PVOD generally doesn't affect legs. They attack OW straight away. Had there is no this kind of early PVOD habit, HG: BOSS would have been a 50m+ opener in an environment that is pro-theatrical. 

2 hours ago, MisterLibby said:

Its a huge bummer that Heron is about to get its theater count slashed right at the start of the holiday corridor despite still pulling million dollar weekdays! 

Heron really avoided the typical anime style of collapse. I am not sure if holidays help, and the name changing really trick people into thinking this is a family-friendly adventure movie, OR is it because of the award buzz that got cinephile into watching this.  

22 minutes ago, Becker said:

With the Hunger Games blowing past $300M and Wonka well on it's way to plow through those marks, What are the possibilities of The Color Purple, Twonka, and AquaBro 2 all grossing over $400M WW? 

TCP is overindexing in the USA so I doubt it can reach $400m WW. 

On 12/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, MattW said:

Something I come back to every winter is comparing different holiday schedules to see how much of an advantage/disadvantage it can give. So a few days ago I looked at it again and took a few ratios of the holiday period compared to days before and after, and really the only hard conclusion is that the legs of the movie matter more than the holiday schedule. I suspect Christmas/NY day on Thursday is the best schedule but looking at individual movies I can’t really prove it. Christmas Eve on Sat is obviously the worst but again a movie with that schedule and good legs will do better than a movie with a good schedule and bad legs, eg rogue one and SW9. 

insidekino does this analysis for Germany, sadly not US, but here's the page: http://www.insidekino.com/DJahr/XMNY.htm 

they ended up concluding that Thursday being Christmas eve/NY eve was the best, but you'd have to take into account that two of the years that happened was when Avatar and The Force Awakens released.

• Like 1