Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

2 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

Lee had also doctored the script for the first Wreck-It Ralph which got her the gig to rewrite Frozen and then co-direct the film in the first place. She seems to be much better at revising a pre-existing script than creating something from ground up.

Yeah. A Wrinkle In Time and Wish floundered when coming from an idea of hers and tbh Frozen II had story problems because she couldn’t figure out what to do with it - that’s partially why Frozen 3 is a two-parter.

5 hours ago, PenguinHyphy said:

I am guessing that it is a wrap on Heat 2 since Ferrari is shaping up to be a monumental Christmas bomb

Neon only paid $15M+ to acquire the "Ferrari"  US rights, and they still have chance to make some profit on the film.

The film was actually a streaming film until Neon picked it up.  (STX was going to send the film direct to Showtime.)

https://deadline.com/2023/12/box-office-aquaman-and-the-lost-kingdom-migration-color-purple-1235680766/

Edited by John2015

I was hoping Migration would breakout. It is my "theaters are dead" run of December. I seriously thought 200M+ DOM was possible but audiences are just not giving a fuck about it worldwide.

Ferrari is a monster bomb as expected. Boys in the Boat will do like 30M or whatever, a nothing run. TCP will do 150M+. Wonka should go above 200M. Aquaman is a major disaster that should end just above 100M. Hopefully Poor Things gains traction this week. Anyone But You is doing way better than I expected and Iron Claw will be another nice 20M+ success for A24.

1 hour ago, cannastop said:

Yeah but it will still be a dire 2024 to face. Still good news.

31 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Might not be as much as we feared. Honestly more I think about it, a lot of interesting projects on the docket next year.

You know, I'd be hesitant to be too Doom and Gloom about 2024.

Consider if I posted the following in Late Dec 2022:

What do you think the reaction would be?  No need to tell me, as we all lived through it.

(yes, I didn't include some films like Fast X or Napoleon as a negative as the above was something of a judgement call — plus I needed something to anchor the top of the list and AtSV and GOTG3 were as good as any for "expectations settings")

But I intentionally curated that list to remove massive over-performers (SMB, BarbieOppenheimer, FNAF), things that did better than expected/did pretty well after all (TLM, Wick 4, RotB) or COMPLETELY OUT OF EFFIN NOWHERE (TET, Sound of Freedom).  And the book is still being written on things like Wonka and TCP.

That is to say, many many many high profile bombs/disappointments.  But quite a few unexpected success stories/films that overcame hurdles as well.  

This isn't to say that 2024 is going to follow the same pattern of Unexpected Success.  Might be a terribad year.  But I wouldn't be quite so quick to proclaim it fait accompli

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You know, I'd be hesitant to be too Doom and Gloom about 2024.

Consider if I posted the following in Late Dec 2022:

What do you think the reaction would be?  No need to tell me, as we all lived through it.

(yes, I didn't include some films like Fast X or Napoleon as a negative as the above was something of a judgement call — plus I needed something to anchor the top of the list and AtSV and GOTG3 were as good as any for "expectations settings")

But I intentionally curated that list to remove massive over-performers (SMB, BarbieOppenheimer, FNAF), things that did better than expected/did pretty well after all (TLM, Wick 4, RotB) or COMPLETELY OUT OF EFFIN NOWHERE (TET, Sound of Freedom).  And the book is still being written on things like Wonka and TCP.

That is to say, many many many high profile bombs/disappointments.  But quite a few unexpected success stories/films that overcame hurdles as well.  

This isn't to say that 2024 is going to follow the same pattern of Unexpected Success.  Might be a terribad year.  But I wouldn't be quite so quick to proclaim it fait accompli

To put the above chart in a different light, the GOOD NEWS/WTF version of the chart (minus AtSV/GOTG3 which was in the first one):

(I don't have a really good handle on what makes for a success story on horror films, so just mentally add them if you think they're missing)

There's a lot of success stories there for 2023.  Even something like FNAF which turned out to be massively frontloaded, was a pretty big win all things considered.  And that's not even getting into true wildcards like The Boy and the Heron (30m+ and rising).

(also was debating whether or not to include Jesus Revolution, but it's probably good enough to include it to forestall arguments)

Doesn't mean 2024 will have similar Out Of Nowhere success stories.  Doesn't mean it won't, either. 

But, then, aren't the Unexpected Success Stories part of the fun of all of this?  Tend to think so. 🙂

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Aquaman 2 is a 'disaster' and yet will not be in the top 3 disasters of 2023.  What does that say? 

We all know what it says: theaters are dead.

If Aquaman somehow crawls to 400M+ WW I won't even consider it a flop but instead a victim of the biggest mismanagement of all time.

39 minutes ago, CJohn said:

We all know what it says: theaters are dead.

There he is! Glad to see you have escaped your captors 😂

• Haha 6
  • Astonished 2

26 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

It's probably going to be more like $250M.  

More like $350M give or take. Already over halfway to $250M after 4 days, a whole holiday week to come 

• Like 5

55 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Aquaman 2 is a 'disaster' and yet will not be in the top 3 disasters of 2023.  What does that say? 

That the superhero genre is dying and that both Disney and WB are having issues adjusting to a changing theatrical and pop culture landscape. It really says nothing about theaters. 

• Like 1