Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

On an unrelated box office but Xmas note… Klaus is PHENOMENAL for those who haven’t seen it. Slept on that waaaay too long. Easily should have beat TS4 at the Oscars that year, far superior. First time I’m ready to put a modern holiday film in the S tier with A Christmas Story and It’s a Wonderful Life. 

• Like 6

Just now, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

You know credit where credit is due, WB’s strategy of releasing three movies close to each other this holiday season seems to have worked out mostly, at least in the case of Wonka and Color Purple. 

Absolutely dominating the holidays is definitely a good strategy. Will probably have three $100M grossers across Wonka, Aquabro, and TCP. 

2 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Weird how very well Ferrari is doing near me, seems totally contradictory to the numbers already reported and tracking but some markets in the tracking thread back me up.

That is going to happen a lot with all this clutter. Especially since most of them are quite different films. You’ll get the ones that will play really well in very specific places since it’s not all funneled into 3 options this time. Like the uber conservative city my sister lives in is gonna go big for Boys in the Boat, I can already tell you. Wouldnt surprise me if it won that city. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

With fewer than 50 ratings, but even so, I have never seen a perfect Verified Audience score before.

heads up: if you're on your computer you can use "inspect element" (different browsers have different names but once you have it open you can search for specific text such as 'bandedRatingCount') to see the actual numbers. The current version is found at 

<script id="scoreDetails" type="application/json">

It's currently 87 up; 2 down. Give the small time difference between our comments, it sounds like Purple was genuinely something like 49-0 before the next 50 only turned in at a 95% positive rate.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

You know credit where credit is due, WB’s strategy of releasing three movies close to each other this holiday season seems to have worked out mostly, at least in the case of Wonka and Color Purple. 

Eh, it wasn’t really a “strategy” so much as all the other studios were like “eww, we don’t want it” when it came to realeasing something big for December… thankfully WB was smart enough to see the massive opportunity. 

Edited by MovieMan89

22 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

It helps that they realized Aquaman 2 was a lost cause and scaled back the marketing.

The Color Purple should’ve gotten more big auditoriums. The only showings that aren’t sold out are the ones added at the last minute, while Aquaman can’t even fill half of its limited auditoriums.

23 minutes ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

One drawback however is that exhibitors are typically reluctant to book too many screens for a specific studio (exception being the mega-openers where everything else runs away) - gotta keep feed all the mouths. And with Wonka and Aquaman 2 opening first, they (mostly) got priority, with TCP drawing the short straw (until ticket sales became impossible to ignore and some adjustments were made)

The flip side is that theaters had the flexibility to shift around their PLF screens and shows to match whichever film was best for the individual location/market, rather than being obligated into a specific title. Like if Aquaman 2 was a Universal title, there's no way TCP would have taken some of those Dolby screens away on day 4 of release

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

On an unrelated box office but Xmas note… Klaus is PHENOMENAL for those who haven’t seen it. Slept on that waaaay too long. Easily should have beat TS4 at the Oscars that year, far superior. First time I’m ready to put a modern holiday film in the S tier with A Christmas Story and It’s a Wonderful Life. 

Yeah, that was one of our viewing last year - it is a great Christmas movie...

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I read WB spent less than half the marketing on Aquaman 2 as they did for the first one.   True?

That would be a smart movie with Amber Heard in the movie. They lost a lot on The Flash trying to promote a film where the man actor is in a host of scandals including grooming minors.

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I read WB spent less than half the marketing on Aquaman 2 as they did for the first one.   True?

They already pretty much told the world not to get invested in the movie when they confirmed the universe reboot, why throw more money after a lame duck

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Yeah, I'm almost annoyed at how well it's paid off for them. They basically put all their chips on Wonka and Color Purple and decided to just count on Aquman coasting as the one standard sci-fi action blockbuster of the season, and the first two should end up making enough money to cover any losses from Aquaman

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

It is a shame. Migration is such a good Illumination's animation. Definitely better than Mario and Minion 2 but somehow audience isn't agree with that. Just 86% from audience isn't serving this movie a justice.

But is it worth premium price to see in theaters for a family of 3+?