Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

Just now, HummingLemon496 said:

He's expecting word of mouth collapse probably

It doesn't even matter for this weekend...people need to go somewhere with family, and an inoffensive and happy super will be a multi-generational easy call...

It was smart to not "take risks" in a Xmas supers release.  Everyone just wants to be happy this time of year, so cheering on a supers win gets that done...

AFTER folks stop seeing family, then WOM can destroy the film...but it's gonna be WOM-proof for the weekend...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

People on this website are still trying to argue with me that Migration and Aquaman 2 aren't actually doing that bad, so I'm very cynical about the future of moviegoing if people are still living in a fantasy world about this December not being too bad.

Why are you so obsessed with doomposting about these movies? Nobody here is saying they are doing well. Nobody is saying they won't flop. The most people are saying is that they won't flop as hard as many once believed. 

• Like 2

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

I feel like Wonka is the far more logical “everyone wants to be happy” choice for the weekend… nearly beating Bro’s sequel previews kinda says it all 

But in teen boy speak, it's little kiddy and lame.  That's a choice that isn't as widespread as a super.

Not saying it won't do well, but it's less the "everyone will like it" call, and more the "c'mon Timmy, let's go see this for Mom and Susie - then we'll see Godzilla together without them"...

6 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I feel like Wonka is the far more logical “everyone wants to be happy” choice for the weekend… nearly beating Bro’s sequel previews in its second week kinda says it all 

I agree. Though I do suspect Aquaman will also do decently well. ~$100M. 

8 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

But in teen boy speak, it's little kiddy and lame.  That's a choice that isn't as widespread as a super.

Not saying it won't do well, but it's less the "everyone will like it" call, and more the "c'mon Timmy, let's go see this for Mom and Susie - then we'll see Godzilla together without them"...

Christmas is typically the time where whining teens and dads get dragged to the “family” choice against their will regardless. Thats why family movies are so bankable at Xmas. Aquabro isn’t likely to elicit that effect this time of year, it’s more of a family splits up situation with that one. 

• Like 1

I don't know if this has been brought up yet, but the 1.2M for Anyone But You might be the most impressive preview of the bunch, since this might have the worst ad campaign I've ever seen for any movie ever for a genre that is deader than dead. Don't know how this isn't opening to 2M or something like that with such awful, weird trailers. I guess the Euphoria connections really do go a long way with getting the kids interested

• Like 7

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Who knows, it might even do it without it. 50 not impossible if screen loss doesn’t affect it too much and we get great holidays holds. 

nah 50 is pretty much out of the question Imo. With the screen losses I've observed.

Even Migration is impressive to me. I saw it before a few movies, often in packed houses, and none of the jokes ever landed, even when kids were in the building. And even if it's still looking to gross way less than most Illumination movies...I mean, we're in a new box office world where original animation is dying. I'll take what I can get.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cannastop said:

nah 50 is pretty much out of the question Imo. With the screen losses I've observed.

How much did it lose Thursday?  Because its Thu gross is almost flat with last Thu’s. If it were to have slight 2nd weekend increases over both the 4 day weekends, 50 can happen.  

23 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

@M37 did you make one of those "final summary + IM table" posts for Aquaman? My ability/knowedge of BOT search is pretty weak but I didn't see anything. 

Nah. Nothing for this Xmas was worth a full track/graph/chart IMO (Plenty of words spilled though) 

If Aquaman 2 follows the 2017 films, should get ~6.5x off that Thursday. And if it doesn’t - but the rest of the films still do - that’s WOM pulling it down 

• Like 1

Box Office: ‘Aquaman 2’ $40M Opening, ‘Wonka’ Eyes $31M – Deadline

FRIDAY AFTERNOON: Right now, it’s looking like Warner Bros/DC’s Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom will arrive at $40M over 4-days, which is where tracking had it.

That said, Warners can boast, and CEO David Zaslav can be happy, in having the top two films at the box office along with Wonka‘s second weekend in the No. 2 spot with a projected $31M over the Dec. 22-25 span. Friday/previews for Aquaman 2 is $14M with a 3-day of $30M at 3,706 theaters. Wonka‘s second Friday is $7M (-51%), which translates to a 3-day of $22M at 4,213 theaters. We’re hearing that Color Purple‘s Christmas Day gross could be around $10M-$12M, which would put it in the No. 4 spot behind Illumination and Universal’s Migration which is looking at $18M at 3,761 theaters; a better than expected result than the $10M-$12M we were hearing about.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Eric Wonka said:

Even Migration is impressive to me. I saw it before a few movies, often in packed houses, and none of the jokes ever landed, even when kids were in the building. And even if it's still looking to gross way less than most Illumination movies...I mean, we're in a new box office world where original animation is dying. I'll take what I can get.

Thats not good if jokes arent landing with kids though… thats Illumination’s bread and butter 

Edited by MovieMan89

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

How much did it lose Thursday?  Because its Thu gross is almost flat with last Thu’s. If it were to have slight 2nd weekend increases over both the 4 day weekends, 50 can happen.  

It's not just Thursday. You also have to factor in Christmas Day's screen losses.

• Like 1