Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

How much did it lose Thursday?  Because its Thu gross is almost flat with last Thu’s. If it were to have slight 2nd weekend increases over both the 4 day weekends, 50 can happen.  

FWIW in their weekend prediction article the numbers has screen estimates of 2,110 for -1 and 1,802 for Heron. Will likely lose more on Monday but for now that’s only down about 500 each.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Well last year Babylon got a C+ and did 5.1x

Whitney got an A and did just a bit less, at 5x 

So my guess answer would be… absolutely nothing 😅

Doesn’t really change your point, but Babylon only had a 4.25x total from its OW ($3.6/$15.3) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aquabro 2 was a blast! No clue where people are coming from when they say it’s much worse than the first one or anything like that.

Our small  group of 3 generations of men came to the consensus that it was just as fun as the first one, with the same very action/adventure vibe and fun humor. 

Honestly had a great time at the cinema, full recommend for anyone who enjoyed the first one and is just looking for a fun action/adventure flick that really doesn’t feel all that superhero-y.

Stay for the hilarious post-credit scene by the way.

Edited by Arlborn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Migration seems like a bunt of an animated kids movie. Like if you asked an AI to make "generic animated family film". Neither bad nor particularly interesting.

I honestly think people are more afraid now to take any risks with movies like these. Elemental based in the trailers looked extremely generic and most Pixar movies are now all about not following your parents dreams but your own 

28 minutes ago, Wandavisionlover0924 said:

I honestly think people are more afraid now to take any risks with movies like these. Elemental based in the trailers looked extremely generic and most Pixar movies are now all about not following your parents dreams but your own 

Well Elementals issue was the marketing downplaying the best story element, the whole "child of immigrants" angle.

1 hour ago, AMC Theaters Enjoyer said:

Okay I am about to see Aquaman 2 at AMC but I want to say beforehand that I got their tie-in drink and it cost nearly 20 dollars.

Adam Aron I am in your walls.

They've gotta chill out man.... it's getting insane. A large popcorn and drink just should not cost 17 dollars. I could understand 10, and even that is high

I know it was a few pages back with @MovieMan89 leading the way (tagging him even though I'm not quoting any specific post so he knows about the convo here), but...

What even *IS* "heavy marketing" in this day and age of declining linear programming and scattered to the four winds internet media viewing?

I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Well, [INSERT COMPANY HERE] didn't bother to market [FILM OF CHOICE] much" and I think about all of the ads I did see for it.  And I don't even watch that much TV! Certainly not much non-sports TV at any rate.

But, like, if someone (and here I'm talking about a Hypothetical Someone and not anyone on this board) isn't watching broadcast/cable TV and has ad blockers installed while they surf the net and skips ahead of promos on places like YT or Twitch or wherever then how can one even know if something is being marketed to them or not?  How viral it is?  If it gets something on Fortnite?  If it somehow breaks through their bubble?

The above might sound sarcastic, but I truly don't mean it that way.  What I am saying is that the overall marketing landscape is even more fractured than it was 10 years ago, and it was pretty damn fractured then. It is getting easier and easier and easier with every single year that passes to just miss out on an advertising campaign that one might have been aware of even a few years prior.

I might be somewhat sympathetic to the virality argument, except getting viral on places like Twitter and TikTok is a very inexact science that I don't think Madison Avenue has cracked yet, esp for TikTok.  Sure once something has established itself as having viral juice behind it, marketing knows how to amplify it (see Barbenheimer).  But actually getting something virally launched in the first place? Don't think that nut has been reliably cracked yet. M3GAN and Smile might be success stories in that department (more the former than the later) but I think it's still in its infancy.  Especially on non-Twitter hangouts.

So then are we just judging by a Success Based Metric?  I.e. "Well, none of the kids/women/gamers/DEMO-OF-CHOICE I spoke to knew about it"?  I mean, fair enough if so.  But, like, then we get back to the original question?  Just what is marketing in an age when so many people are going out of their way not to see advertisements?  How does Hollywood target folks who don't want to be targeted?  Try to get some viral juice?  Hope The Almighty Algorithm that dishes ads on any given platform smiles upon them?  I really don't know.

Not that I have any answers here.  Just more examining the central question of "what even is marketing in anti-marketing age?"

• Like 8