Issac Newton

Christmas Weekend Thread | Xmas Day #s - Purple 18.1, Aqua 10.6, Wonka 10.3, Boys 5.7, Migration 5.4, Ferrari 2.9 | #BlackGirlMagic dominates the charts

38 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Sunday's going to be a pretty rough day due to theaters closing early cause of Christmas Eve but big rebounds should happen starting Monday, provided the movies aren't frontloaded of course.

Ideally this weekend should be generating around 90m-100m like last year. Last year we did have Avatar 2 during this season but let's not forget the crazy bizarre winter storm affected movie business for the day leading up to Christmas day last year.

55 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Very happy that The Boy and the Heron will easily pass $30 million dom!

Now on to $35 million and $40 million! 😲

I’ve been quietly manifesting highest grossing anime not called Pokemon for months… I just need that BP nom to happen w expansion and we cooking 

20 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Walkups today are looking really good. I am expecting good Friday numbers for openers and Wonka will have a great hold as well. I guess this is a great period to release movies. I wish Poor things also went wide. This is a good weekend for BO. 

Is there a date for Poor Things to go fully wide?

I saw the 5M 4-day weekend prediction and though it was great for 800 theaters

With holidays ahead and not even being fully wide, it´s probably going for +20M DOM, maybe even 30 if the inevitable Oscar nominations boost it, which is pretty amazing for a movie like this

8 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I’ve been quietly manifesting highest grossing anime not called Pokemon for months… I just need that BP nom to happen w expansion and we cooking 

Hmm I guess IF it gets a BP nom it will have a re-expansion but! The nominations will take until Jan 23...

5 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Hmm I guess IF it gets a BP nom it will have a re-expansion but! The nominations will take until Jan 23...

Who knows, it might even do it without it. 50 not impossible if screen loss doesn’t affect it too much and we get great holidays holds. 

Random thought: given the lack of an event film this year, I wonder how much the NFL Xmas day schedule - particularly the primetime possible Super Bowl preview - takes a bite out of potential that evening  

2 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

01.jpg

Also with the potential news of a B- (or potentially C+) what's your updated prediction for Aquabro 2?

Fwiw I’m guessing B still.

Keyser says Fri is looking good, so maybe — 4.5-9.5-8-3.5-8.5 //25.5, 34 // 100

14 minutes ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Weird how Aquaman 2 can have literal Dark Phoenix/Morbius reception and still be the leggiest CBM sequel ever, purely off of calendar config

We’ll see though. Audiences just got flooded with options, I’m not so sure Bro will swim or freeze under the ice. 

31 minutes ago, M37 said:

Random thought: given the lack of an event film this year, I wonder how much the NFL Xmas day schedule - particularly the primetime possible Super Bowl preview - takes a bite out of potential that evening  

On this point, most sales for Christmas Day (not just for TCP) near me are concentrated in the early afternoon shows, with minimal sales past 7 PM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Sunday's going to be a pretty rough day due to theaters closing early cause of Christmas Eve but big rebounds should happen starting Monday, provided the movies aren't frontloaded of course.

In good news, the last show of the night (which is the one most theaters are canceling) is the lowest attended on Sundays, so it will be bad, but not as bad as it could be if it were a Thurs/Fri/Sat...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keysersoze123 said:

Walkups today are looking really good. I am expecting good Friday numbers for openers and Wonka will have a great hold as well. I guess this is a great period to release movies. I wish Poor things also went wide. This is a good weekend for BO. 

Poor Things went 800 this week, and I think that’s exactly where it should be. Oscar bins are late this year, so it wants to expand slowly through January and then capitalize on those noms at months end by reaching peak theatres. Hopefullly it plays well for months.

• Like 1