Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

I do prefer marketing be honest on principal. I mean, the first Wonka movie was a semi musical too. I don't know how many people they drew through hiding it, but I think people who do like musicals would've appreciated being made more aware of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

In streaming era where everyone pay a fees but get unlimited access to the entire library. Cinema should start trying that approach or introduce something similar, to mitigate the gap between streaming and moviegoing. 

Not everyone WANTS to go to the movies that often.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MightyDargon said:

Again, they make their money off concessions, not the movies themselves. Concessions have always had an inflated price vs. what food should cost.

Everyone says that is true but it's really not. About 90% of concession revenue is pure profit but ticket revenue is just as important. 

Let's look at the slim version of AMC's most recent balance sheet

https://investor.amctheatres.com/sec-filings/all-sec-filings/content/0001411579-23-000087/amc-20230930x10q.htm (see page 46)

AMC July - September

• 579M in domestic admission revenue - 309M in film exhibition costs (so 53% average rental rate?) = 270M "net ticket revenue"
  • 383M in Food and beverage - 65M in food/bev cost = 318 "net" Food/Bev revenue

So just looking at admit v F/B, the net revenue split is 46/54. All else equal, you'd want an extra dollar of popcorn sales but people clearly understate importance of raw ticket purchases in achieving financial stability in those discussions and that's obviously relevant in an era of declining aggregate ticket sales.

Plus

• Other Revenue 94M
  • Operating Expenses + Rent = -506M

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 4

I think cinema is stuck in a no-man’s land of being neither cheap entertainment nor a boutique, luxury experience (too many dickheads with phones and bad manners ensure it’s not the latter). 

I do think at some point operators will have to pick one. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There's a "trend" on TikTok right now of people (mostly girls) skipping while leaving the theatre for ABY and saying romcoms are "back," etc. WOM seems strong among the target audience, even though its rated R.

Edited by Taylor
  • Disbelief 1

14 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Imagine if people didn't recommend The Sixth Sense to other people because the main character was marketed as being alive, rather than a ghost. 

baumer: "I was bamboozled!"

I don't think this is the best example to use. That's a dramatic spoiler at the end of the movie, not its fundamental premise.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Imagine if people didn't recommend The Sixth Sense to other people because the main character was marketed as being alive, rather than a ghost. 

baumer: "I was bamboozled!"

That's ridiculous one is a twist the other one is disingenuous marketing about your film you're duping people into getting them into the theater. You're not confident enough you can sell your movie as a musical so you trick people.

• Like 1

This people don't like musicals conversation Is boring. Looks like a " i don't care so no One cares". Typical "It's all about me" people. 

Some people don't get them?. It's perfectly fine, some people just don't care about action movies or rom com. 

a lot of musicals are upon the biggest movies of all time, people can really love a musical and actually  like some critics already noted in the past being a musical (or a movie with an iconic soundtrack) It's One of the easier ways to became a Classic. An iconic soundtrack makes you bigger than movies and impactful in a bigger way. 

I think musicals need a very specifical way to be promoted especially when they have a lot of songs. You Need to make people familiar with some of the songs and the genre of the music of the movie. 

I remember for the greatest showman the cast made TV appareances singing the Songs, the songs were sent to radios etc.. It's a smart move. 

Or you can release remixes of the Songs with major pop stars like Disney did with Frozen 2. 

For what concern The colour purple.. i have listened the soundtrack..the songs are not even that much and they're the kinda of gospel, r'n'b and soul songs you can expect from this movie. Not like "stereotyped" Broadway music so i don't think its a problem for It's audience, and actually seems to me the perfect music someone "doesn't like musical" can appreciate. 

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I think cinema is stuck in a no-man’s land of being neither cheap entertainment nor a boutique, luxury experience (too many dickheads with phones and bad manners ensure it’s not the latter). 

I do think at some point operators will have to pick one.

They will - and already have, even if they don't yet know it - and it will be the latter. There's just no way to bring back the masses and live on volume (1.3B+ admissions), because the lower and middle tier have been decimated by competition with streaming content

Its going to be all about the big releases, and how to maximize revenue for those (starting with more PLF screens), and surviving during the lean times

• Like 1