Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

Theaters here are already a circus as is and my tolerance for it is certainly at an all time low. Raunchy groups talking during the whole movie (there was a group of 5 at the top row of my G-1 show today and I heard a few people telling them to shut up, luckily I was very far away from them) and everyone checking their phones all the time. If I have to deal with all of that, I will just stay at home. Allowing phones and people talking normally isn't the answer. I already feel like these type of things are one reason why older people stopped going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Theaters here ate already a circus as is and my tolerance for it is certainly at an all time low. Raunchy groups talking during the whole movie (there was a group of 5 at the top row of my G-1 show today and I heard a few people telling them to shut up, luckily I was very far away from them) and everyone checking their phones all the time. If I have to deal with all of that, I will just stay at home. Allowing phones and people talking normally isn't the answer. I already feel like these type of things are one reason why older people stopped going.

Totally agree. The day theaters just say that phones are no issue during the movie, will be the day i will never go to the cinema again. Most of the time, its annoying enough already, but thankfully, most people (atleast where i live) still seem to respect other peoples' experiences during a movie. I mean that is one of the last few selling points of going to theaters, the fact that its a public place where you can sit and enjoy yourself for 2 to 3 Hours despite having other people around you.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah id personally go so far to state that anyone who scrolls on their phone during a movie disrespects the art of cinema. Its the same as snorring during a play for me. Im normally a very calm person, but whenever i see someones phone light blink up during a movie, i get unreasonably aggressive.

there is a massive difference between scrolling and turning it on for a second to check if the text (or vibration mode call) you just received is something important 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

16 hours ago, Hatebox said:

“X movie flopped so why aren’t we talking about it as much as Marvels???” is by far the year’s most annoying box-office meme. It’s even been done with actual hits like Wonka.

This substack post from a writer I follow just came out today and goes very deep into this phenomenon: https://episodicmedium.substack.com/p/week-to-week-saying-the-marvels-bombed?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=764540&post_id=140150131&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=3qrno&utm_medium=email

But it has to be said that over the past few weeks the internet has lost the plot on The Marvels. Upon the release of two new films—Wonka and Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom—and in responses to a viral tweet about Killers of the Flower Moon’s budget and box office results, social media accounts have gotten huge engagement on posts accusing the trade press of double standards for how they treated The Marvels and DaCosta. In every case, the argument amounts to “Why isn’t the trade press being as breathless in their attacks on these films after they had a lower opening weekend/grossed less money/etc.?” And as their comments fill up with technicalities (aka facts) about the films’ budgets, the different multiples attached to films released near Christmas, or the different logics governing film financing for tech companies like Apple, the initial posters largely stick to their guns to make a point about the white supremacy and misogyny that allegedly led to The Marvels being reported as a bomb as opposed to the “highest grossing opening weekend for a black female director” (surpassing Ava DuVernay’s A Wrinkle in Time, another Disney film with objectively disappointing box office results, but let’s not get into that).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Yep I am going to be old man yelling at the clouds too. You are not that goddam special people. If you can't go 2 or even 3 hours without checking your phones then don't go  to the movies. 

If this happened we probably will net lose another one third of the moviegoers. Seriously I don’t mind people checking their phone. I can understand there are time they have to. But at least please dim phone while you are texting your urgent respond.

One thing I have to agree in post-Covid era, society has since become less conscious of a tacit agreement at public space. While texting during movie is generally forgiven but somehow more are exploiting that tolerance without self-control. I have seen multiple times there are people checking their insta and twitter feed during the movie. Is that an urgent matter you have to attend during the movie? 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Eric Wonka said:

@4815162342 You know what? You're right. The Color Purple isn't a nostalgic toy commercial after all. If it was, it would have had good legs. Guess they should have made Celie and Shug action figures. 🤷‍♂️

this bit has become exhausting

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Every movies have a relatively small changes but somehow they shed 800+ locations from HG: BOSS. So there are managers out there thinking BOSS isn't holding as good as it is. 

Theater Counts for December 29

Movie Distributor Theaters Previous
Theaters
Change
Wonka Warner Bros. 4,115 4,213 -98
Migration Universal Pictures 3,837 3,761 +76
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom Warner Bros. 3,787 3,706 +81
The Color Purple Warner Bros. 3,203 3,152 +51
The Boys in the Boat MGM 2,557 2,557  
The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes Lionsgate 1,660 2,509 -849
Trolls: Band Together Universal Pictures 1,500 1,639 -139
Wish Walt Disney 1,265 1,240 +25
Poor Things Searchlight Pictures 800 800  
The Holdovers Focus Features 236 316 -80
The Marvels Walt Disney 160 110 +50
Saltburn Amazon Studios 112 267 -155
Silent Night Lionsgate 64 203 -139
American Fiction Amazon Studios 40 40  
Killers of the Flower Moon Paramount Pictures 37 34 +3
Oppenheimer Universal Pictures 25 17 +8
Barbie Warner Bros 16 15 +1
All of Us Strangers Searchlight Pictures 6 6  

11 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

The Marvels Walt Disney    160   110   +50

they really going to try something?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

there is a massive difference between scrolling and turning it on for a second to check if the text (or vibration mode call) you just received is something important 

If you must be so connected to checking each time a text/call/email comes in, get a smart watch. At least those are typically inherently dim, especially for those trying to save on their often limited battery life.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JonathanMB said:

Was going to buy a ticket for a movie tonight for Iron Claw or Ferrari (leaning towards the latter, more convenient showtime) at a local multiplex that is more of a walk-up business theater, so I took a peak at how the prime evening shows are all selling for everything and was very fascinated by the results:

Hide contents

Anyone But You (7:10) - 68

Wonka (7:15) - 54

Boy and the Heron (7:25) - 50

Boys in the Boat (7:10) - 40

Aquaman (IMAX 6:45) - 29

Ferrari (7:05) - 20

Hunger Games (7:40) - 18

Godzilla Minus One (7:35) - 15

Poor Things (7:50) - 14

Anyone But You (7:10) - 

Color Purple (7+7:30) - 5

The Iron Claw (7:20) - 4

Eras Tour (8:10) - 3

Migration (7:15) - 2

Obviously it's just one theater, but it doesn't seem like ABY is slowing down much. 

I saw Anyone But You tonight in a sold out 60 seater. It was cute, but I don’t think it adds anything new to the genre. I guess people were just hungry for a classic rom-com. 

The biggest laugh came when someone ripped a very loud fart during a quiet scene and it echoed. It was like laughing in church. People tried to hold it in but once one or two people broke, everyone was laugh hard. 

• Like 1