Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

So ERC was pretty much on the ball here, still pretty solid increase

4 (-) Migration Universal $6,524,060 +22%   3,761 $1,735 $24,337,115 5

Universal dominates animation this season with both Trolls and Migration. Still, Migration isn't safe for 100m because of not trhough the roof WOM. If Migration can pull back 2nd weekend increase then I am more confident with 100m. 

I guess Trolls is safe for 100m.

- (-) Trolls Band Together Universal $689,490 +67% -8% 1,639 $421 $94,031,655 40
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

Mission impossible 9 would have done.wonders in this.slot.

I don’t understand why people are so protective of Mission Impossible. It had competition at the box office just like literally any other film. Up until opening weekend everyone said it was a lock for a billion, especially after Indiana Jones failed to make an impact.

Now that films have been pushed back and we know what would be its main competition (Aquaman 2) isn’t doing as big as the last one, it’s easy to say MI7 would’ve cleaned up in a hypothetical situation. But up until its opening weekend wasn’t as big as expected, no one questioned that July was the perfect time for it. Barbenheimer is now just a convenient scapegoat.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Iron Claw has a shot at increasing from last weekend with the way WOM is going.

The twitter are raving about how sad the movie, not because it is touching, but is the sheer scale of tragic. As for its Oscar chance, I really don't think there are enough space for Iron Claw to crack in and I don't blame A24. 2023 is simply too crowded for Oscar hopeful titles. Iron Claw will fall out from the race like Uncut Gems. At least the BO are looking good.

12 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

People that vote for Oscar’s have to vote before the end of the year? I would have assumed they had until early January since they announce late January. Why do they need them a whole month before announcing them?

I'm not sure from where you heard this, but Oscar nominations voting takes place from January 11th to 16th, with nominees being announced a week later on Jan 23rd.

Peace,

Mike

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scubasteve716 said:

People that vote for Oscar’s have to vote before the end of the year? I would have assumed they had until early January since they announce late January. Why do they need them a whole month before announcing them?

More generally (as timing seems to be wrong),  I don't understand why Oscars used the pandemic as an excuse to basically move a full month later in the calendar. Is this just a cynical way to bilk producers of more marketing dollars? An embrace of VOD/EST? Why are they so far away from when people actually can see films in theaters?

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

52 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

I'm not sure from where you heard this, but Oscar nominations voting takes place from January 11th to 16th, with nominees being announced a week later on Jan 23rd.

Peace,

Mike

I’m not sure how to muti quote but there’s a tweet in a post above on this page (page 2 of this thread) that says Iron Claw has Oscar’s written all over it and if he had seen it before voting he would have voted for it for a bunch of stuff. 

17 minutes ago, Scubasteve716 said:

I’m not sure how to muti quote but there’s a tweet in a post above on this page (page 2 of this thread) that says Iron Claw has Oscar’s written all over it and if he had seen it before voting he would have voted for it for a bunch of stuff. 

I totally understand your confusion. If you click on the tweet thread, the person says:

Did not think this was going to gain traction, but for context I vote as a member of the North Carolina Film Critics Association. Just so it’s known what I mean by saying “I would’ve voted for it in xyz”

I'll add that that the Academy has very strict campaigning rules (especially after the last Oscars); Academy members are not allowed to share their voting intentions or preferences in any public forum (or lobby/encourage other members to vote for a particular film, etc). 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Speedorito said:

I don’t understand why people are so protective of Mission Impossible. It had competition at the box office just like literally any other film. Up until opening weekend everyone said it was a lock for a billion, especially after Indiana Jones failed to make an impact.

Now that films have been pushed back and we know what would be its main competition (Aquaman 2) isn’t doing as big as the last one, it’s easy to say MI7 would’ve cleaned up in a hypothetical situation. But up until its opening weekend wasn’t as big as expected, no one questioned that July was the perfect time for it. Barbenheimer is now just a convenient scapegoat.

Name another movie that competed against $1.4 billion and $950 million movies and still grossed over $550 million

• Like 1