Borobudur

Christmas-New Year Weekdays Thread (12/26-28)

1 hour ago, Last Man Standing said:

I had no idea it had a B+ CS, kind of odd considering I've mostly been hearing positive things about it.

Obviously some sort of anomaly considering the legs. I read a theory on Reddit that opening night was flooded with fans of the book who might have disliked some of the changes from the book.

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3

I get both sides of the meta debate about Mission Impossible but I think the larger story is that we basically had 4 very big films this year with a notably old skew and they came out back to back to back to back. That just feels like a bad scheduling move even if it wasn't predictable ahead of time. 

• Like 9

I gotta say, I feel A24 really screwed up a good portion of their backhalf releases. Having Dream Scenario basically get the shaft on the release schedule then not trying to build the buzz for Iron Claw. Along with a few other films they really should of considered and push. It feels like they just didn't plan for the Oscars at all this year. 

I wonder if Iron Claw even took A24 by surprise. Seems like they didn't anticipate the rave reactions it received, not playing it at any film festivals and only lifting the review embargo a week before its wide release.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I wonder if Iron Claw even took A24 by surprise. Seems like they didn't anticipate the rave reactions it received, not playing it at any film festivals and only lifting the review embargo a few days before its release.

it has a very high verified RT Audience score for an A24 joint

31 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Obviously some sort of anomaly considering the legs. I read a theory on Reddit that opening night was flooded with fans of the book who might have disliked some of the changes from the book.

While It just isn't that good of a movie, it's a perfect fit for its target audience (girls aged 15-30). The opening weekend probably had a more varied public who hoped to find some of the gore/action that is typical of the hunger games saga, instead they were left with a musical with a strong focus on romance that somehow favours more twilight in its atmosphere than HG.  Once the good word of mouth spread amongst the teen girls it started to gain legs. It basically took a slice of the Twilight/After etc... audience and ran with it, facing no direct competition for months. If anything, it shows that there is still room for young adult sagas aimed at girls.

1 hour ago, ThePrinceIsOnFire said:

While It just isn't that good of a movie, it's a perfect fit for its target audience (girls aged 15-30). The opening weekend probably had a more varied public who hoped to find some of the gore/action that is typical of the hunger games saga, instead they were left with a musical with a strong focus on romance that somehow favours more twilight in its atmosphere than HG.  Once the good word of mouth spread amongst the teen girls it started to gain legs. It basically took a slice of the Twilight/After etc... audience and ran with it, facing no direct competition for months. If anything, it shows that there is still room for young adult sagas aimed at girls.

Cinema score is based on opening night. Not opening weekend. 

I also think the comparison to twilight and After is ridiculous lmao. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AniNate said:

I wonder if Iron Claw even took A24 by surprise. Seems like they didn't anticipate the rave reactions it received, not playing it at any film festivals and only lifting the review embargo a week before its wide release.

Honestly though, A24 can’t really seriously handle more than a couple of awards hopefuls, and they already have Past Lives and Zone of Interest this year. I get the frustration but if you’re them, before December, you’ve gotta go with the highly critically acclaimed release and the Jonathan Glazer Cannes winner. Can’t really fault them, they just didn’t see this one coming.

it’ll still do pretty good at the BO, which is great news for this kind of release!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

I had no idea it had a B+ CS, kind of odd considering I've mostly been hearing positive things about it.

Maybe the domestic market has gotten more harsh in rating films.

I don't think think The iron claw is real Oscar material. Seems like a pure dad movie like Air (and some of the dads were saying that was oscar material too).

Of course can be a well told emotional story but seems very derivative of many movies Oscars have already overlooked even too much (the wrestler, the fighter etc...).

About Zac Efron. Academy hates hotties ex teen idols, more specifically they hate what women love (Leo didn't get a nom for THEE Titanic, Winslet of course did). Di Caprio needed to work a lot with every oscar loved director before getting an oscar after 1700 nominations (and needed to be outside of every People list of the hotties from years).

Matt Damon will get an Oscar as career prize when he's old, same for Hugh Jackman. Like for Brad Pitt, Paul Newman or Robert Redford. Kristen Stewart has already an oscar nomination and most people will tell you she's an average actress, Robert Pattinson  lately has been more acclaimed, with more acclaimed projects, of course as ex females heartrobe still waiting for a serious oscar conversation about him.

Zac Efron now is kinda remotely in a conversation about "not being a bad actor". Now need 3 projects with very acclaimed oscar directors and can get a nomination, 2 if one of the roles is something like a british royal or Elvis Presley.