Kon

NEW YEAR weekend

2023 Movies I watched in theater (not counting Aquaman 2 today b/c that goes on the 2024 list)

My 2023 movie theater viewings...

1st run (whether I had free, discounted, or full price - only 1 or 2 were full price:)

Plane

Shazam 2

Dungeons and Dragons

Super Mario Brothers

Spiderman: ATSV

Mission Impossible: DR1

Sound of Freedom

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: HAT

Blue Beetle (Edit to add - spouse reminded me this was in theater - I thought we watched at home - oops:)

Five Nights at Freddy's

Migration

2nd run/kid summer movies at Cinemark

Mummies

Paws of Fury
Lyle, Lyle Crocodile

14 movies in all, so a little under 2022, I think, but about my average.

11 were not sequels - only Shazam, MI, and Spiderman were...of course, I watch a sequel today:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I am sure Nia De Costa is "fired" at this point. Who else do you think can Disney fire. Feige? 

Feige might need supervision. Giving him full creative control has clearly been a bad idea 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, John Marston said:

never seen a more embarrassing performance. How have heads not rolled for this? I mean someone got fired for John Carter 

Not even the most embarrassing cbm performance of the year, a movie with two batmen in it couldn't get over $300M

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Feige might need supervision. Giving him full creative control has clearly been a bad idea 

Feige with full creative control made the most successful run of movies in history (Phase 3)

12 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

Not even the most embarrassing cbm performance of the year, a movie with two batmen in it couldn't get over $300M

Feige with full creative control made the most successful run of movies in history (Phase 3)

The Flash had a toxic actor and was part of a dead universe. The Marvels is part of an ongoing franchise and supposed to set up 

elements for the future. It is the more embarrassing  performance by far

Feige did not have complete creative control until Phase 4 I believe 

Edited by John Marston

32 minutes ago, MightyDargon said:

What's done is done for Marvels. The macro problem was dumping so many resources into the Kang arc. If they had kept Majors/Kang they would see even worse results.

Marvel's problem is that it has so many things going on at once. Is this a multiverse thing? Is this a Thunderbolts thing? Is this a young avengers thing?

Just now, John Marston said:

The Flash had a toxic actor and was part of a dead universe. The Marvels is part of an ongoing franchise and supposed to set up 

elements for the future. It is the more embarrassing  performance by far

The Flash was advertised as one of the best superhero movies ever made, it brought back Michael Keaton's Batman, it had Ben Affleck's Batman, Supergirl, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and many other cameos, the movie was full of nostalgia and fan service, unless you think all those characters are smaller than The 3 Marvels, then no, The Flash is by far the most embarrassing failure, the MCU equivalent would if NWH or DS2 flopped

Just now, John Marston said:

Feige did not have complete creative control until Phase 4 I believe

Ike Perlmutter was fired in 2015, Feige had full creative control for Phase 3, and Phase 4 was more successful than Phase 1 despite half the movies been released during a pandemic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I think actors like Sydney Sweeney or Jacob Elordi have some pull, but I don't think it's so related to Euphoria.

I mean, Anyone But You is a big surprise due to the legs, while fandoms tend to go on the first weekend.

If not for Euphoria (and season 1 of The White Lotus, which become a meme goldmine over its first two seasons) I would have absolutely no idea who Sweeney was. She owes a large portion of her current popularity to those projects.

I know Elordi had the Kissing Booth movies before the show but those fall under the "definitely not for me lol" file.

16 minutes ago, Veclozy said:

The Flash was advertised as one of the best superhero movies ever made, it brought back Michael Keaton's Batman, it had Ben Affleck's Batman, Supergirl, Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman and many other cameos, the movie was full of nostalgia and fan service, unless you think all those characters are smaller than The 3 Marvels, then no, The Flash is by far the most embarrassing failure, the MCU equivalent would if NWH or DS2 flopped

Ike Perlmutter was fired in 2015, Feige had full creative control for Phase 3, and Phase 4 was more successful than Phase 1 despite half the movies been released during a pandemic.

The Flash is an embarrassing failure but The Marvels is the more embarrassing

failure because it is actually supposed to be a set up for the future 

the Infinity Saga was fully announced in 2014 so it had been planned out already. That means the multiverse saga is the first time Feige has had full creative control 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Yikes. We have some reddit troll here. I would recommend ignoring it. I dont think we should go down the rabbit hole of what is more embarassing here. At least WB have "fired" everyone who is part of DCEU for the embarassing failure of Flash :-)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Marston said:

Never heard of Euphoria until recently. Don’t think it is some sort of phenomenon. Only heard of Sydney Sweeney due to the tabloids 

It is definitely a phenomenon with late teenagers - young adults, we live in fragmented culture, i think this is the new normal. 

Zendaya projects seems to draw attention exactly from the same young viewers that adored Euphoria. 

The same can be said about Elordi, especially with Saltburn that i doubt is a crossover phenomenon but it’s definitely a phenomenon and top 3 most talked movies of the year with young people.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yeah and The Flash was suppose to reset the DC Universe according to Gunn and it had way more popular characters in it than The Marvels, basically every DC A/B listers was in it.

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the Infinity Saga was fully announced in 2014 so it had been planned out already. That means the multiverse saga is the first time Feige has had full creative control 

You mean Phase 3 was announced in 2014, Ike didn't want Iron Man in Civil War, he didn't want to make Black Panther and Captain Marvel (those are the most profitable solo MCU movies btw), he only agreed to announce those if they made Inhumans, that's why when he was fired they dropped Inhumans. Russos and the writers were ready to leave if Ike wasn't fired, and I doubt Civil War/Infinity War/Endgame would've as successful with a different talent. Phase 3 is 100% Feige's. The movies themselves and even the slate would be different without him.

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Yikes. We have some reddit troll here. I would recommend ignoring it.

How so?

13 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

At least WB have "fired" everyone who is part of DCEU for the embarassing failure of Flash 🙂

Except for the director, writer and producer.

25 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I see where you're coming from but I think it's more muddled. The Flash was a pretty key lodestone in the "Hamada-sprint-to-crisis" ("Keaton as Nick Fury") and WB pushed all-in on the film even after that was abandoned. 

"Ant-Man 3" was positioned as the start of "bringing the multiverse strands together" (aka "phase 5") and it was supposed to have the "Young Avengers" tease (which fell victim to the changed ending of that film). The multiverse stuff is advanced in the Marvels but it's debatably the least important building block film of 2023-2025 (excluding self contained GotG3) because it is, itself, the payoff of Marvel's big bet on TV-film crossovers. 

the Infinity Saga was fully announced in 2014 so it had been planned out already

So that means "All our macguffins are infinity stones; the big final crossover is going to involve Thanos in some way and our non-sequel films will be GotG, Black Panther and Captain Marvel," right? That big new MCU book talked a lot about how CM's core concept was in flux (making it hard to secure directing talent) and how late in the game Infinity War 1 & 2 were locked down.  

Euphoria is HUGE especially after Season 2. It's no coincidence that Sweeney, Elordi and even Missing's Storm Reid who plays Zendaya's little sister on the show had overperforming films in 2023.

I guess Hunter Schafer too contributed somewhat to Hunger Games's success. Euphoria cast is displaying the opposite of the GoT cast's performance at the BO.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Veclozy said:

Yeah and The Flash was suppose to reset the DC Universe according to Gunn and it had way more popular characters in it than The Marvels, basically every DC A/B listers was in it.

You mean Phase 3 was announced in 2014, Ike didn't want Iron Man in Civil War, he didn't want to make Black Panther and Captain Marvel (those are the most profitable solo MCU movies btw), he only agreed to announce those if they made Inhumans, that's why when he was fired they dropped Inhumans. Russos and the writers were ready to leave if Ike wasn't fired, and I doubt Civil War/Infinity War/Endgame would've as successful with a different talent. Phase 3 is 100% Feige's. The movies themselves and even the slate would be different without him.

If there isn't a good answer to "What was Phase 4's Iron Man" (or even "what was Phase 4's Avengers 1") then this argument self-evidently fails. Hits that create interest matter a great deal.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce