filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

1 minute ago, TMP said:

2024 looks like an embarrassment in comparison, a year so bad it might actually kill cinemas

I say that every year

Updated the first post with the nominees.

Breakdown as to what earned the most nominations (don't think this was shared):

13: Oppenheimer

11: Poor Things

10: Killers of the Flower Moon

8: Barbie

7: Maestro

5: American Fiction, Anatomy of a Fall, The Holdovers, The Zone of Interest

3: Napoleon

2: Past Lives, Mission: Impossible, The Creator, Nyad, Society of the Snow

• Like 1

Anatomy, Things, and Zone are the three I haven’t yet seen. As far as the BP nominees and my personal ranking:

1. Oppenheimer

2. Holdovers

3. Barbie

4. American Fiction

5. Past Lives

6. Killers

7. Maestro

Maestro’s probably the only one I’d say I disliked. I’m still kinda bummed Iron Claw got nothing, it’s fantastic.

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Personal ranking of the nominees I've seen so far:

1. Oppenheimer

2. Poor Things

3. The Holdovers

4. Barbie

5. Killers of the Flower Moon

6. Maestro

This really wasn't a great year for movies overall IMO. Too many high-profile disappointments.

Anatomy of a Fall is better than both Barbie & Maestro.

34 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

Maestro is top 2 in the BP lineup.

Nope. It's Poor Things. That one will win Actress for sure and has a good shot at winning Production Design, Costume and Makeup and who knows what will win Adapted? Maestro isn't a lock for even Makeup and it's not going to win anything else. 

• Like 1

The noms that I most wanted got in, Oppenheimer and Barbie for Best Pic, Nolan for director, Gosling for supporting actor, Barbie for screenplay, I'm just Ken for song, and Godzilla -1 for visual effects!

Poor Greta and Robbie got shut out. Now with Poor Things getting noms maybe a theater near me will FINALLY show it?

I'm ready for the Barbenheimer Oscars this year!

I still think The Holdovers is the #2 to Oppenheimer. Missing Best Director looks bad initially but whatever it's not a showy movie like that. It's the one that has that "feel good" vibe the Oscars like sometimes. It got all the same nominations Green Book got put it that way.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I still think The Holdovers is the #2 to Oppenheimer. Missing Best Director looks bad initially but whatever it's not a showy movie like that. It's the one that has that "feel good" vibe the Oscars like sometimes. It got all the same nominations Green Book got put it that way.

I don't believe for a minute The Holdovers will win Best Picture.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

I feel like Giamatti can pull off the win over Murphy. 

Asteroid City was snubbed for Production Design.

Barbie being nominated for Best Screenplay over Killers of the Flower Moon is hilarious.

Gosling for Barbie is just plain dumb.

But also, I don't think the Oscars are as relevant as they once were, and I don't think they give studios the box office bump they used to, so pretty good lineup for a dying award.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I feel like Giamatti can pull off the win over Murphy. 

God I hope so. I've just started listening to Giamatti's podcast recently where he talks about Bigfoot and aliens and shit like that. strong stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Asteroid City was snubbed for Production Design.

The Academy, and to some extent Critics and Audiences seem to be a bit over Wes Anderson movies right now except in the form of memes. After Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest it seemed like it was only a matter of time before Anderson got an Oscar but Isle of Dogs (outside just Animated movie), French Dispatch and now Asteroid City are all also-rans.

• Like 1