filmlover

96th Annual Academy Awards nominations thread

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

That is not the point. The point is that she was snubbed together with the director while Ferrera who was missing precursors cause her performance was nothing to write home about except that cringe speech got in. It would be as if Jon Hamm got in for TGM without Cruise. It's nonsense.

This only highlight the supporting roles category just isn’t as stacked. We all know leading actress and actor have been bloodbath for months. 

Decent roundup this year but there’s a few notes I got:

• Feel like Leo should’ve gotten Gosling’s best actor spot.
  • Robbie not getting in is surprising considering she was the best performance in Barbie.
  • Lowkey if Ferrera gets the win for the speech and Bassett couldn't that kinda bullshit (think Hsu was the clear choice last year but Bassett deserved it more than Curtis) but think Da’Vine will likely clench it

• Charles Melton got shafted for Best Supporting Actor
  • Sad Heron or Across didn’t get more than just Animated Feature. Not surprised at Ninja Turtles not making it, gave Lego Movie vibes
  • Lmao Wish got jackshit. It’s joever for WDA rn
  • Wahzhazhe for Best Original song let’s go
  • Moon got fucked over with no Best Screenplay nomination 

Other random thoughts:

Honestly thought KOTFM was a shoe-in for adapted screenplay. 

Williams getting nominated for Indy 5's OST was a huge headscratcher. Nothing memorable about that soundtrack at all so obviously a nom because it's his last piece. Spider-verse in my opinion deserved a nomination for the soundtrack. Pemberton did an incredible job but the Oscar folks don't like animated films. 

Best actor was really stacked this year so it's hard to pick on their choices. 

• Like 1

I've seen 8/10 of the Best Pic line-up, American Fiction and Zone of Interest out here next week. I would say from what I've seen there are 4 good movies in that line-up. Kind of an off year for me.

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

I heard shirley awful, but I wouldnt be surprised if it ends up being nominated in the acting categories next year 

Awful Netflix biopic? 100% IN! I'm not joking. Netflix is really good with this shit cause they know what Acting branch falls for. And they are the biggest voting body.

Some fun facts: French submission Taste of Things missed in Foreign while the movie they didn't submit cause of some feud between Macron and Triet got Picture, Director, Actress, Original Script and Editing noms. :hahaha:

Maestro is such an empty nothing-burger of a movie that I think I somehow know less about Bernstein after watching it. Cooper would an incredible director for music videos though, given his eye for nice looking visuals that don’t signify much meaning

Edited by TMP
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Eric George said:

it’s almost like Festival Circuit Industrial Complex is designed to create disposal Oscar Bait films every year so the real friends we make along the way — the PR machines, agents, critics/pundts, fashion houses — can stay in business. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YM! said:

Decent roundup this year but there’s a few notes I got:

•  
  • Lowkey if Ferrera gets the win for the speech and Bassett couldn't that kinda bullshit (think Hsu was the clear choice last

she's not winning lol. She missed all precursors but CC which had 6 slots. She's #5. Randolph is locked to steamroll this even if BAFTA hypotetically picks a Brit. Randolph's winning SAG. It's over. 

1 minute ago, Eric George said:

Got a laugh at Golda's nomination. Good timing, Academy. Good timing.

IIRC The Last Voyage of the Demeter was also on the Makeup shortlist when it was announced. Kind of wish that had been nominated to fill the "random bomb no one remembers exists saved from total obscurity by Oscar" void.

6 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

This only highlight the supporting roles category just isn’t as stacked. We all know leading actress and actor have been bloodbath for months. 

Yeah, competition was quite weak there and contenders like McAdams or Pine would've probably been sole nominees for their films. If competiton had been as stacked as in Lead Actress then Ferrera would've been a casualty.

1. Oppenheimer

2. The Holdovers

3. Flower Moon

4. American Fiction

5. Barbie

6. Poor Things

7. Past Lives 

8. Maestro

Seeing Zone of Interest this weekend. Might see Anatomy of a Fall soon too. Past Lives just felt really whatever to me, idk. It made my girlfriend cry though, so maybe I'm just a stone cold, heartless machine

• ...wtf 1

Personal ranking of the nominees I've seen so far:

1. Oppenheimer

2. Poor Things

3. The Holdovers

4. Barbie

5. Killers of the Flower Moon

6. Maestro

This really wasn't a great year for movies overall IMO. Too many high-profile disappointments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This really wasn't a great year for movies overall IMO

idk, I'd rank it as the best that I've ever lived through - or at worst, on par with 2014/2017/2019. 2024 looks like an embarrassment in comparison, a year so bad it might actually kill cinemas