baumer

Weekend estimates

I find it funny how THG can outgross the final Harry potter movie yet sell 5% of the books Potter did. So basically I'd say the general audience would disagree with you.

It sell much more than 5% of the books Potter did in the USA (at the time of the 1st movie's release), i'd say between 50 and 75%.

Hey, I've been gone awhile. I'm a bit rusty, OK? :lol:

So have I. I've just started posting again when THG came out. Normally I wouldn't have come back until The Avengers but THG was too much of an entity for me to ignore. It's been a fun film to track.

Blackspider...you're right, I've really gotta stop underestimating THG. :blush:

I'm with you buddy. I've been hoping beyond hope it would start crumbling.....sadly it's not.

Yeah, I know you've had that prediction for awhile now. Having it that close to 400m would be kind of a bummer though.

I don't understand a 396m prediction. If you say 400 and it ends up at 396, you're still 99% accurate, and how many films have finished with 385-400? Answer: ZERO. How many have 400-415? THREE....out of the 12 that have exceeded that mark.

You didn't like it, huh? But, wait, bet you liked John Carter though.You're such a rebel. :P

Have you seen JC? It's a hell of a lot more entertaining than people give it credit for. I thought I'd hate it, but it proved me wrong.THG is just wrong on so many levels...imo.

I don't understand a 396m prediction. If you say 400 and it ends up at 396, you're still 99% accurate, and how many films have finished with 385-400? Answer: ZERO. How many have 400-415? THREE....out of the 12 that have exceeded that mark.

I agree. That's why I don't see THG just stopping there and Lionsgate being okay with it. When you're that close to a milestone as heralded as 400m, you bet your ass that they will do anything they can to get it there.

I agree. That's why I don't see THG just stopping there and Lionsgate being okay with it. When you're that close to a milestone as heralded as 400m, you bet your ass that they will do anything they can to get it there.

I hear the Puerto Rican movie market is heating up this summer. ;)

THG is not going to have a softer drop next week unless IMAX actually makes a difference.I think 4 new openers will hurt it.Maybe it's just me but because it's a rom-com, stop-motion animation, Statham flick and period thriller means the openers are weak?Didn't that happen last week? Urban comedy, DisneyEarth flick and Sparks romance with non-stars.Or the week before? Stooges looks like shit took a shit, niche horror comedy.I guess if you're not the Avengers, the Dark Knight Rises or other fanboy, testosterone pumping films, the openers are going to be "weak" and "no one will be interested".

THG is not going to have a softer drop next week unless IMAX actually makes a difference.I think 4 new openers will hurt it.Maybe it's just me but because it's a rom-com, stop-motion animation, Statham flick and period thriller means the openers are weak?Didn't that happen last week? Urban comedy, DisneyEarth flick and Sparks romance with non-stars.Or the week before? Stooges looks like shit took a shit, niche horror comedy.I guess if you're not the Avengers, the Dark Knight Rises or other fanboy, testosterone pumping films, the openers are going to be "weak" and "no one will be interested".

Wait, what? Doesn't the fact that all three openers this weekend overperformed and THG saw its best hold yet kinda disprove your point? Edited by blackspider

I have to agree with this. I guess people aren't really interested in following overall box office just the big franchise movies.

But THG had its best holds these last two weeks even with this "strong competition" Next week doesn't look much stronger.

I didn't say competition was strong. Next week might not be stronger but it is more diverse and takes up more screens and cinemas.

Wait, what? Doesn't the fact that all three openers this weekend overperformed and THG saw its best hold yet kinda disprove your point?

Refer to above. And my main point actually was if you're not a fanboy film most people here don't think they'll do well simply because it's not interesting to them.

THG is not going to have a softer drop next week unless IMAX actually makes a difference.I think 4 new openers will hurt it.

Looking at the last weekend of April in 2007, all films had great holds, despite several small films opening. I think 25% drop is easily attainable for THG.