JustWatching

President's Day Weekend Thread (2/16-19) | Bob Marley 28.6/34.1 (52 6-Day), Madame Web 15.3/18 (26 6-Day)

35 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I don't agree with that interpretation but I agree it's the most logical read of the NPR transcript. I've pulled the actual Sony Hack document (at least a version of the Sony-Marvel contract as amended in 2011) before looking for this exact distinction between "Spider-Man" films and "Spider-Man adjacent/non-Spider-Man character" films and I just don't see it. There's no defined legal term for films like Venom so I think all of these films count as Spider-Man films. 

The accurate version of the language I'm seeing simply says "The Production Term will expire on the date..." and instead of Spider-Man film, the production term relates back to the defined term PICTURE which is

• "one or more motion pictures (including, without limitation, sequels, prequels, remakes, serials or other audiovisual works of any nature) intended for initial theatrical release (“Picture(s)”); and"

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the final version of the negotiation but I'm also positive the NPR interview in 2014 didn't actively think about the possibility of Morbius movies when deciding how to compress legalese into a quick interview hit. 

If films like Venom didn't count, you'd need some language in the license contract addressing it and the definition of film doesn't say something like "stars spider-man/peter parker". I could find neither (but I could have missed something). Remember, around this time Sony was making noise about a sinister six movie and if that had no impact on rights retention, I'm sure that would have been actively discussed given compressed timeline to make TASM1.

In any case, if the intention behind these spin-offs was to just extend the license then they wouldn't put out three in a single year. As @AJG pointed out, the reasoning probably doesn't go beyond "Marvel is a hot property and we need to exploit the Marvel characters we have".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JustWatching said:

And to be fair, why should they care about quality? They keep getting rewarded for making dreck. The two Venom films and Morbius combined cost just under $300 million and made $1.5 billion WW. Maybe MW face planting so badly will shake up the calculation, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

I think the superhero fatigue (or whatever you want to call it) we've been seeing the past year is about to catch up with Sony as well. Right now it looks like Madame Web will make only half of what Morbius made WW, If Kraven follows suit and Venom 3 has a sizable drop compared to Venom 2 then maybe someone at Sony realizes they can't keep putting out bottom of the barrel dreck. Basically, Sony needs to find themselves in a position where even their modestly-budgeted (70-100M) Spider-Man spin-offs fail miserably.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJG said:

I really do think if they went with another approach this could’ve been Wonka level big.

It's done pretty well for what was originally an inexpensive streaming release + a remake of a famous movie most probably felt wasn't old enough to receive one. It will turn a decent profit in the end, rare for a musical these days.

12 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, ummm, I said $46M on Wed in the weekday thread as my back-of-the-napkin work...do I win a prize:)...

Yup you nailed it. That said deadline’s gone from 30+ to 36-38 to 44 to now 46 over the last two days so honestly I wouldn’t rule out 50 yet!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, ummm, I said $46M on Wed in the weekday thread as my back-of-the-napkin work...do I win a prize:)...

You win my love and affection. That’s the greatest prize of all

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, M37 said:

+100% from Thursday 🙃

The movie is a bomb but seriously the fact that people are still seeing this movie without being forced to with a gun to their head kind of a blows my mind. Like you can make the biggest shit stain waste of a movie  where the lead actress does the press tour like a hostage video and some people are like let's check that out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting demographic information in the Deadline writeup. Did we know they polled audience marital status?

Audience scores are still strong for Bob Marley: One Love with 5 stars and 91% on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak. With a 56% women turnout to 44% guys, the reggae legend biopic is something of a date night movie, with 30% attending with their spouse, and 21% of ticket buyers going with a date. Women over 25 at 38% and men over 25 at 31% gave Bob Marley its best grades of 92%. Women under 25 repped 18% of the crowd with a 90% grade, while men under 25 at 13% gave it 88%.

Black moviegoers led at 40%, followed by Latino and Hispanic at 25% and Caucasians at 23% and Asian Americans at 5%. Fifty-two percent of

Bob Marley‘s audience is over 35, with the largest demo being 35-44 at 22%.

The film is playing best in the East, South, and West, with the AMC Bay Plaza in the Bronx leading the pack thus far with $19K in Friday ticket sales. PLFs are driving 20% of the pic’s weekend to date.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Interesting demographic information in the Deadline writeup. Did we know they polled audience marital status?

A 2019 deadline article basically dumped all of the questions posttrak asks. The average is 15.3% across all films with another 18.3% being non-married couples on a date so 33.6% index versus 51% for Marley

https://deadline.com/2019/08/posttrack-movie-survey-2019-streaming-exhibition-1000-movies-polled-1202667945/

That being said, I've never understood the politics/religion questions there.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

A 2019 deadline article basically dumped all of the questions posttrak asks. The average is 15.3% across all films with another 18.3% being non-married couples on a date so 33.6% index versus 51% for Marley

https://deadline.com/2019/08/posttrack-movie-survey-2019-streaming-exhibition-1000-movies-polled-1202667945/

That being said, I've never understood the politics/religion questions there.

It seems like they mixed religion and politics into one question, because 'Merica, I guess? Overall it's very informative but the answers now are probably much different.

• Like 1