JustWatching

President's Day Weekend Thread (2/16-19) | Bob Marley 28.6/34.1 (52 6-Day), Madame Web 15.3/18 (26 6-Day)

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Decent Saturday jumps, especially for Bob Marley. Surprised Madame Web is jumping at all actually. 

it’s got a couple thing going for it. One, like Aquabro it scored well with families and there hasn’t been a new family film out since Xmas. And two, it’s Valentine’s weekend and if your date isn’t into Marley, well, it’s the other new movie. I doubt it has a lot of staying power going forward, tho.

• Like 1

‘Bob Marley: One Love’ Scores Box Office Record For Biggest Opening Day Ever In Jamaica 

The movie, which stars Kingsley Ben-Adir and Lashana Lynch as Bob and Rita Marley, is No. 1 in Jamaica with an 89% share and a record-breaking US$100,000 in receipts, making it the island’s biggest opening day ever for a film, according to Paramount.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

8 hours ago, PrinceRico said:

I thought OL was supposed to be a one day wonder

I mean, its 3/4-day weekend is still decently below what a $14M OD typically produces, even factoring in the Valentine's bump, but it did not crash - aka pull a TCP - if that's what you mean.

Personally I never really liked that comparison, but I understood both with recency bias and the skew in ticket sales why people were gravitating towards it

Edited by M37
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Issac Newton said:

‘Bob Marley: One Love’ Scores Box Office Record For Biggest Opening Day Ever In Jamaica 

The movie, which stars Kingsley Ben-Adir and Lashana Lynch as Bob and Rita Marley, is No. 1 in Jamaica with an 89% share and a record-breaking US$100,000 in receipts, making it the island’s biggest opening day ever for a film, according to Paramount.

100k OD on an island with 2.8M people and low atp??? wtf

Edited by JustLurking

10 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

100k OD on an island with 2.8M people and low atp??? wtf

He's an absolute institution there not just an icon and you bet some tourists caught the movie too since Jamaica is English speaking so you don't have to deal with the awful foreign language dubbing.  Heck I wouldn't be surprised if the movie did well across the Caribbean even with rivalry between the islands. He's massive in that region. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

I saw Argyle this past week. I thought the first half was incredibly hard to get through and then once a bit of the plot twist is revealed it gets much better. It honestly felt like I watched two different movies. Overall I'd probably give it a 5 out of 10.