Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Bob Marley $13.5M, Demon Slayer $11.58M, Ordinary Angels $6.5M, Madame Web $6.0M, Migration $3.0M, Argylle $2.8M, Wonka $2.54M, Drive Away Dolls $2.4M, The Beekeeper $1.96M

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Another new low for comic book movies. Last year we had Shazam 2, Blue Beetle and The Marvels hitting new lows for their franchises.

The next cbms (Deadpool 3, Venom 3, Kraven) seem much stronger, so it will be interesting to see how they perform against that trend.

I think Venom 3 will be a new low for the Venom series too. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DInky said:

How did The Marvels drop 79% during its second weekend but Madame Web only 61%? This does not make sense to me.

The Marvels had Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes in it's second weekend. Madame Web has pretty much nothing. 

12 minutes ago, DInky said:

How did The Marvels drop 79% during its second weekend but Madame Web only 61%? This does not make sense to me.

If MW had opened on a traditional 3-day window that 61% would look more like low to mid 70s.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, JustLurking said:

If MW had opened on a traditional 3-day window that 61% would look more like low to mid 70s.

Yeah, that seems likely. If you "just" look at the three highest grossing days during Madame Webb's opening week, that gets you to a 65% drop and you should clearly be more aggressive that that (if only due to previews functioning as a mini OD). I think "mid 70s" is too far however. The most aggressive "synthetic OW" estimate I can come up with gets me to a 71/72% drop. 

I think it clearly has better legs than the Marvels, a film with bafflingly awful legs. At the end of the day, Madam Web's opening day is going to outgross the film's second weekend by a few hundred thousand while Captain Marvel's OD + previews were twice that of the film's second weekend. a $6M 2nd weekend for Webb is significantly better than a $10M one for The Marvels. 

Web's "succeeding" by not having a weakened MCU baseline to lose. It's just having bad legs from "people who see the movie of the week" crowd.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

33 minutes ago, DInky said:

The Marvels opened with $46.1 million, while Madame Web opened to $25.8 million over a longer six-day period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Yeah, that seems likely. If you "just" look at the three highest grossing days during Madame Webb's opening week, that gets you to a 65% drop and you should clearly be more aggressive that that (if only due to previews functioning as a mini OD). I think "mid 70s" is too far however. The most aggressive "synthetic OW" estimate I can come up with gets me to a 71/72% drop. 

I think it clearly has better legs than the Marvels, a film with bafflingly awful legs. At the end of the day, Madam Web's opening day is going to outgross the film's second weekend by a few hundred thousand while Captain Marvel's OD + previews were twice that of the film's second weekend. a $6M 2nd weekend for Webb is significantly better than a $10M one for The Marvels. 

Web's "succeeding" by not having a weakened MCU baseline to lose. It's just having bad legs from "people who see the movie of the week" crowd.

I'm not really defending Marvels here (worse multiplier than Morbius...), just saying MW's -61% is not really 61%.

• Like 2

OT: Since I couldn't go out for a movie, I stayed in and watched Oppenheimer.  Damn - I did save the best movie for last this year!  Is it perfect - NO.  BUT, the Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor awards should be locked.  As should Best Movie, b/c this movie vs Holdovers is like comparing the JV HS football team to the KC Chiefs.  They are so not in the same league, it's not even funny.

As for this movie's grade, I give it an A-/B+.  The acting, knowing the nominees, was actually BETTER than I expected.  It's honestly the best acting I've watched from the top 2023 movies - heck, I'd have awarded more male nominees if possible, but I get that they had to choose, and Murphy and Downey were the best 2.

If anything, I think the attempt to make this movie mirror the type of concept like Titanic, where you have a main "current day" plot interwoven, but left alone for long stretches, to tell the historical main plot, didn't QUITE work.  It's why I give it an A-/B+.  It was just a little too much and yet not enough - too long a stretch where you have to try to piece things together or remember them, whereas the continuity of building the bomb was so clear.  I also didn't love the 1st 5-10 minutes - I get it for attention getting and to show the mental issues he had...but it was rough.

But this is the only movie (I think) that I even got to to A- range last year, so obviously for me, the Oscar winner.  Heck, I would have it sweep all the main categories it's nominated in...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

The next cbms (Deadpool 3, Venom 3, Kraven) seem much stronger,

If these three constitute as “much stronger” we might as well kill the genre now 😂

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

The Marvels -78.1% is horrific. It’s weekday holds were dreadful too. -74% Monday, -46% Wednesday and -30% Thursday. 

and that was after the cast went on all the talk shows and the constant astroturfing about how “fun and breezy” the movie was!

Not terribly surprised by that Drive-Away Dolls number. The few people I had in my showing yesterday evening at Alamo seemed like they outright loathed it with two couple walkouts, which isn't something I've seen for a movie under 90 minutes. The comedy was landing like a fart at a funeral: a few nervous laughs but mostly stony silence. 

Definitely not a movie I think I'd ever feel the need to watch again, maybe a 4/10 at its best for me. 

3 hours ago, Eric Web said:

I mean you answered your own question right there. Nobody should pay attention to people who use Facebook unironically.

It's not like the internet is a bastion of wisdom outside Facebook.

There are filthy casuals everywhere. 

3 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

Most important BO news for this weekend.

Awesome. Watched my bluray of it today. I did see it in a theater in Sept of 20. Only movie in a theater for 16 and a half months. Fun times.