Issac Newton

Weekend Thread | Est. Bob Marley $13.5M, Demon Slayer $11.58M, Ordinary Angels $6.5M, Madame Web $6.0M, Migration $3.0M, Argylle $2.8M, Wonka $2.54M, Drive Away Dolls $2.4M, The Beekeeper $1.96M

Ordinary Angels $2.3M Friday

Third goes to Lionsgate/Kingdom Story’s Ordinary Angels, which despite an awesome A+ CinemaScore (typical for a faith-based movie), solid reviews at 80% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes and a 100% RT audience score — isn’t wildly overperforming. Right now a $2.3M Friday is yielding a $6.5M result in third place. The reason why some believed this could beat its $5M-$7M projection is because faith-based audiences often fly under the radar of tracking services. Last February’s Kingdom Story movie, Jesus Revolution, hit a homerun with a $15.8M opening and $52.1M. Where’s the seat fillers?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, posting the Deadline Friday numbers...

One Love $3.6M F / $13.4M W

Demon Slayer $5M F (with previews) / $9-10M W

Ordinary Angels $2.3M F (with previews) / $6M W

Madame Web ?? F / $5M W

Migration $700K F / $3.5M W

Drive Away Dolls $1M F (with previews) / $2.5M W

Edit to Add - Overall, it looks like a DOM Top 10 around $50M and a total market around $60-$70M...

Honestly, for a weekend without any high profile releases, and in a strike starved period, it's not a horrible weekend. Especially since it should be the lowest weekend in a while hopefully. Maybe some of the April weekends might struggle if some of the wide releases don't connect.

Honestly, surprised Demon Slayer has gone that high after the drop from last year in Japan, but I'm not unhappy, it's a great finale episode from Swordsmith Village and Hashira Training looks like it could be interesting. Definitely need another proper movie though as it looks so good in IMAX

Drive Away Dolls was amusing, but wasn’t particularly great beyond that. Like a joke you blow air out of your nose when you hear it. It’s not bad, but I’d only recommend it to people with a very specific sense of humour.

It is kind of cool to compare it to Tragedy of MacBeth. Joel seems to make the colder, more meticulous, dramatic, and calculating films, whereas Ethan likes to have breezy fun. I didn’t particularly love either solo debut, but they both made me realize why the brothers work so well together. You need that dichotomy. Whereas MacBeth missed Ethan, Drive Away Dolls missed Joel.

2.5/5

Edited by DAJK
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, emoviefan said:

So anything above 50 m for Dune next weekend and it will beat the total top 10 this weekend. And it will go way above that of course. 

If Dune 2 doesn't get to 75m next week, I am not entirely confident to have we can have second 100m aggregate weekend from all movies in 2024. The first 100m weekend was MLK weekend.

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If Dune 2 doesn't get to 75m next week, I am not entirely confident to have we can have second 100m aggregate weekend from all movies in 2024. The first 100m weekend was MLK weekend.

Yeah it will be tough. Say it does 75 exactly. One Love will probably do 7-8.5 or so based on what it looks like it will do this weekend. Nothing else will do above 4 and a lot of the movies that have been hanging in there due to no big tentpole opener are finally going to take big hits. Expect for Wonka if  some want to do the Timmy C double feature. 😃

18 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Drive Away Dolls was amusing, but wasn’t particularly great beyond that. Like a joke you blow air out of your nose when you hear it. It’s not bad, but I’d only recommend it to people with a very specific sense of humour.

It is kind of cool to compare it to Tragedy of MacBeth. Joel seems to make the colder, more meticulous, dramatic, and calculating films, whereas Ethan likes to have breezy fun. I didn’t particularly love either solo debut, but they both made me realize why the brothers work so well together. You need that dichotomy. Whereas MacBeth missed Ethan, Drive Away Dolls missed Joel.

2.5/5

I thought MacBeth was brilliant, though I struggled with the Shakespearean English somewhat. It also did have some moments of levity, like Stephen Root's cameo, and Denzel straight up slapping his enemy.

12 hours ago, M37 said:

I have not been as … unprepared for a film since renting Secretary many years ago 

I was unprepared too and it was all for the better. So many of the twists in this had me HOWLING. This movie was made for sickos like me.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Boxofficemojo has February box office at 281m as of Thursday. Add in this weekend and a few weekdays, February will around 360m.  March 2024 is looking like a repeat of March 2023 and April 2024 is looking dead when April 2023 had Mario.  

2024 box office by the end of April could be around 600m behind 2023.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/month/?ref_=bo_nb_hm_secondarytab

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

I thought MacBeth was brilliant, though I struggled with the Shakespearean English somewhat. It also did have some moments of levity, like Stephen Root's cameo, and Denzel straight up slapping his enemy.

Have not seen Macbeth yet. Denzel slaps his enemy? Wow. That came out in 21-22. Denzel was up for best actor and guess who he lost to? That's kind of funny. 

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

49 minutes ago, babz06 said:

They should have left Drive Away Dolls in September if they were just going to dump it. 

They probably figured it was better to have the cast do some press for it vs. none whatsoever. Presumably it would've bowed at TIFF in its original date. 

8 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Demon Slayer Demos &Score

Demon Slayer devotees gave this edition a B+, which is the same grade they gave last year’s big screen version of the anime toon. ComScore/Screen Engine PostTrak audiences gave it an 84% positive and a 68% definite recommend. Male leaning at 66% with 75% of those who bought tickets between 18-34 and 25-34 the biggest demo at 45%. Diversity demos were 43% Latino and Hispanic, 23% Caucasian, 13% Black and 14% Asian. IMAX and PLF screens are responsible for a third of the weekend’s ticket sales as Demon Slayer slayed in South Central, West and Mountain regions. AMC Burbank is the highest grossing theater so far with a near $19K since Thursday.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised the Latino and Hispanic audience is so big compared to other Diversity demographics.

Edited by Kon